FPS Camera Controls?

I remember back in the CMBO days people liked to try the 101st D-Day night drop scenario from as close to the unit's perspective as possible in order to try to re-create the feeling of Command and Control issues faced by the units.

The First Person view, aside from bing a boon to folks who love swanky screenshots, will be that players who want that extra challenge can get back into it again. I cannot wait to see it in action.

I located it in the 3.0 manual, page 12;

CAMERA CONTROL MODE

Three different camera control modes are available: Standard, RTS, and FPS. The

camera control mode options are found by selecting Options in the menu menu

and then selecting Controls. Standard mode is the default mode, used by CMx2

previously.

In RTS mode, the left mouse button pivots the camera, and the scroll wheel zooms

the camera in and out. Most importantly, right-clicking on a unit or its floating icon

with the right will bring up the pop-up Command Menu

In FPS Mode, the left mouse button also pivots the camera and right-clicking units

brings up the Command Menu, just like RTS Mode. However, in FPS Mode, the

camera will pivot to follow the position of the cursor while it moves. Essentially,

you move the camera using the WASD keys while moving the mouse to smoothly

pivot it.

It is unlikely that you will change camera control modes often, so you should experiment with all three modes and decide which fits you best.

OPTIONS

You access it by going to Options, then to 'Controls' at the bottom, then to 'Cameria Config' again at the bottom

For FPS mode think of how things work in a FPS game. Use keys to set primary direction of travel and use the mouse to finetune. You can easily navigate right to the spot in a single fluid motion. Or you can use the keys alone as you do in Standard mode or use left mouse button an mouse motion on their own as you do now. The real benefit of the system is when you use both together.

There's also a bunch of really super cool motions you can do by using things like holding down forward and side movement keys and the mouse. You can, for example, spin the camera from a point (looking out) or spin the camera around a point (looking in). Adjusting camera pitch is camera height is also pretty fluid compared to Standard keys.

Here's what I recommend doing. Set it to FPS camera, go into the Editor, load any scenario, then into 3D Preview (you won't get spoiler info that way). Give it a shot and see what you think of it.

Personally, I use FPS mode now exclusively. I started using it when I was designing the functionality and grew used to it. Though I still think the Standard behavior is nearly as functional and, in some ways, cleaner for most styles of play. Especially WeGo. But I am a RT player and do find FPS slightly better for my play style.

BTW, double clicking on the map jumps the camera to that position. I'm pretty sure this is the first release with that behavior.

Steve

Is there any way to turn off mouse acceleration? That is my only gripe, but its a pretty big one. It feels pretty unnatural to me that the screen doesn't just get dragged by mouse input but rather starts turning at different speeds etc with little room for fine tuning and lots of room for FPS lag and stuttering due to accidental camera swipes.

There is no separate control for mouse acceleration, sorry.

What I do is use the click-left-mouse button for fine tuning. It's the same function that's been in CMx2 since the beginning, so nothing new there. It really is useful for fine tuning no matter what mode you play in.

After a couple of months using this mode I've adopted slightly different behaviors depending on if I'm at ground level, mid level, or high up. Basically:

Ground level - usually using mouse direction and keys at same time

Mid level - as above when moving from one place to another (or double click to jump), then use mouse fine tuning (left click) and keys separate from each other once I'm in a spot of interest

High level - pretty much use keys only, though there's some things you can do with mouse clicking that can aid in rotation

This is definitely one of those things that is easy to use but takes some time to get full power from.

Steve

I noticed that when I restart the game then sometimes it works and then when I restart sometimes only W works. And then again after restart it wont work at all. This is all without me doing anything to the configuration of the assigned keys. It just happens on a random basis. Something seems to be completely wrong here.

They seem to be sorting out the problem in the thread about keys not working in the Tech Support forum. Looks like at least part of the problem is when changes are made in-game with the Options screen.

Your solution in the Tech Support Froum did it for me. Works now.

The only downside to the new camera controls is that it's jarring going back and playing CMFI and CMBN with the standard camera controls. I'm really liking the fact that so many things can be done now with the right mouse button.

So whats your favorite angle. I'm still playing around and getting used to the new cameras. I now have it in RTS mode. I like it, but I still kinda like the traditional view.

Are there hotkeys you can use to switch views while playing or do you need to completely exit out and set the views in the options menu?

So whats your favorite angle. I'm still playing around and getting used to the new cameras. I now have it in RTS mode. I like it, but I still kinda like the traditional view.

Are there hotkeys you can use to switch views while playing or do you need to completely exit out and set the views in the options menu?

Not sure yet. FPS makes me queasy but I love the right click orders menu. Need that in Standard camera....

Working with RTS now.

Bobo

The only downside to the new camera controls is that it's jarring going back and playing CMFI and CMBN with the standard camera controls. I'm really liking the fact that so many things can be done now with the right mouse button.

When we release Upgrade 3.0 all will be fixed.

Do you mean editing the Hotkeys.txt file while the game is running? I'm pretty sure the keys are loaded into memory at the start of a game and therefore editing the file during the game won't do anything.

Not sure yet. FPS makes me queasy but I love the right click orders menu. Need that in Standard camera....

Yup, seeing what can be done about that. It was planned for Standard after some initial testing, but there might be some code restriction that got it hung up. Or it was just forgotten about :D

Steve