Combat Mission 1918?

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the forthcoming centenary of WW1 prompted me to suggest it. I'm thinking of the period March 1918 to the end of the war because this is when both sides were at the top of their game, tactically speaking, and some movement had been restored to the Western Front. It would also make it possible to introduce the US Army into the game. I imagine the game engine could cope with it; by this stage of the war, infantry tactics at the small unit level were not too different from those employed in WW2. Some changes would be necessary of course; no radios, more elaborate entrenchments and a greater focus on pre-planned artillery bombardments.

Is there any interest in a game of this sort?

I'm definitely interested. I think CM would work really well for 1918 small unit tactics. I've made a couple of WW1 mods over the years for various games but think CM would eb the best game to translate to 1918. Sadly we can't add models and WW1 will never be popular enough to make a commercail game.

The war in 1918 wasn't just shelling and gas. It was a war where small unit combined tactics had been learnt the hard way and developed by all armies. At the level CM simulates even mid war battles would be reasonably interesting - by 1916 the French had developed the move and fire and the British quickly adopted it. It would be no different really to a company size bocage fight. Gas wasn't an effective weapon - initally it had shock value but armies soon developed defences against it. It would mainly add to the fog of war. This is the problem with a WW1 game - everyone assumes its just shelling, gas, walking slowly towards a dug in MG post and waving a walking stick at the them.

There are so many better candidates.

+10

Viet-Nam would be better.

The 73 Arab-Israeli conflict would also be my number one choice. You had the Suez and Golan Heights and overall would be an interesting fight. The Israelis were better skilled, but Arab morale and effectiveness was much improved over 67.

The Israeli doctrine was based on the last war-67. The Arabs learned from their past and implemented plans and tactics that extracted a high price until the Israelis changed their approach.

Could really make for a great linked campaign approach where as the Israeli side you have to be very mind full of your losses.

I think people have rather skewed perceptions of what people would buy. I don't know how true this is, but I would assume the kind of guys who play CM games would also be the kind if guys who would step outside of the normal "Normandy-Bulge-Stalingrad" boundaries. I mean, look at Fortress Italy. I know people who are unaware Italy played a part in WWII, and yet apparently the game did quite well. I'm not trying to lecture anyone on business, but I wonder if taking the plunge and making a game that isn't so well known might be more successful than people think. After all, it's not like a bunch of Call of Duty and Company of Heroes kids are the core of wargamers. I, for one, would love a WWI game. There are too few of them out there. Same goes for Arab/Israeli Wars, Blitzkrieg-era WWII, Tunisia, and all the other games that have been dismissed as "not popular/well-known enough". Might even get some people interested in or educated about more obscure periods of history. Any thoughts? Also, I'm not trying to stir anything up here, this is just what sprang into my head.

I think people have rather skewed perceptions of what people would buy. I don't know how true this is, but I would assume the kind of guys who play CM games would also be the kind if guys who would step outside of the normal "Normandy-Bulge-Stalingrad" boundaries. I mean, look at Fortress Italy. I know people who are unaware Italy played a part in WWII, and yet apparently the game did quite well. I'm not trying to lecture anyone on business, but I wonder if taking the plunge and making a game that isn't so well known might be more successful than people think. After all, it's not like a bunch of Call of Duty and Company of Heroes kids are the core of wargamers. I, for one, would love a WWI game. There are too few of them out there. Same goes for Arab/Israeli Wars, Blitzkrieg-era WWII, Tunisia, and all the other games that have been dismissed as "not popular/well-known enough". Might even get some people interested in or educated about more obscure periods of history. Any thoughts? Also, I'm not trying to stir anything up here, this is just what sprang into my head.

Blitzkrieg-era WWII is the big one - without this the Combat Mission WW2 line will always be complete. There's so much goodness we are missing not being able to play early war scenarios. Everything from the fall of France and Poland, Norway and even stuff like Dieppe and early war Commando raids.

A boy can dream. :)

Early WWII (both fronts) would be great.

WWI? Hmm... I'd like to say yes, but I'm not so sure. If you go late war, then basically, it's slowed-down WWII. If you go early war, it's trenches and slaughter by MGs & arty. I think the payoff might well not be worth the effort, with player interest dropping off rapidly once the novelty factor wears out.

Vietnam might work, but there's the asymmetric aspect that many, including myself, would find off-putting.

To be honest, if we are going to go all dreamland about bringing another period of warfare to CM, then after doing early WWII, I'd go US Civil War and/or Napoleonic. Those have been done before in years past by other companies, but I would certainly trust BF and CM to bring the best versions ever to the table. -Probably by miles.

I'd love to see a WW1 game.. but I'd like to see the Battle of the Frontiers in 1914.. when the war was all about movement and counter-movement. Although... the late war with Allied tanks and the Germans with their Hutier tactics would be awesome too.

Agreed on all points. But I think a thing that has to be considered is what the level of personal interest is among the BFC staff. Steve seems to be the one who does the majority of historical research and a lot of it of necessity has to be a labor of love. I've never heard him express much interest in non-WW II eras except modern. Until he starts talking about how fascinating some of the WW I (or any era) battles are, I won't be holding my breath. He'd be about as likely to discover a consuming interest in the Thirty Years War, or maybe the Seven Years War (which to my mind qualifies as the first truly global conflict).

Michael

I can't see BFC doing a CM1918 either (or most of the other periods mentioned). The only way we would see most of these periods would be in mods and you can't add models so they are non-starters really. Maybe if BFC decide in a few years when there's a new engine out they will open the old engine for mods we could see something...

Id buy ww1 for sure, Id prefer early ww2 though. Poland, France & Low Countries etc. N. Africa. Man there is so many possibilities.

Might be that a big ww1 title would offer better sales numbers than earlier ww2 though...

I'd play it.

WW1 was a facinating war. and it was more than just the trenches in Flanders.

The Turks fought a full scale invasion of russia, then held off the English at gallipoli. And finaly tried to keep the various arab uprisings contained.

The turkish invasion of russia included tens of thousands of Palestinian conscripts who first declared their independence in 1915 by deserting en-mass, and returning home to elect the first king of Palestine.

The ANZAC cavalry, and Indian Army were deployed against turkey as well. This was mobile warefare, with smaller units, and little heavy artilery.

Then there were the German colonys in Africa which tied down vast English armys.

A WW1 game based on the campaigns OUTSIDE europe, would rock.