Will there be plans for partisans in future addons?

Perhaps I'm just dense but I haven't seen a thread dedicated to suggestions on the expansion "packs". It's really like to see medics added to the game. Particularly in light of the fact that you can save points by tending to your wounded.

The current buddy aid feature works fine for that sort of thing.

The current buddy aid feature works fine for that sort of thing.

I respectfully disagree. It works, but you are peeling men from squads to tend to wounded or have to leave a squad in place while they tend to wounded instead of using them to fight. Having dedicated medics would free the troops up to fight. That's one of the reasons medics were on the battlefields in WWII, isn't it?

I respectfully disagree. It works, but you are peeling men from squads to tend to wounded or have to leave a squad in place while they tend to wounded instead of using them to fight. Having dedicated medics would free the troops up to fight. That's one of the reasons medics were on the battlefields in WWII, isn't it?

Not really. There weren't many medics who couldn't have been riflemen. Medics were medics so that they could be identified as non-combatants and be left to do their Good Work. There also weren't very many medics in the TO. 1st aid was very much up to the casualty's buddies.

To be clear, CMx2's "Buddy Aid" isn't intended to model the actions of the actual combat medics, but rather the initial care and attention given to a wounded man by his squadmates before specialized medical personnel arrive.

It takes far longer than the 1-2 minutes you see in CM to do preliminary stabilization on a seriously wounded man and begin to move him to the rear. The Buddy Aid time is intended to represent the time during which a nearby soldier does something like throw his hands over the wound and apply pressure to slow the bleeding, shouting "Medic!", or "Sani!" or whatever as he does so. We abstractly assume the medic or stretcher bearer team arrive at the end of the Buddy Aid cycle to take over.

So if CM were ever to explicitly model medical units like combat medics, stretcher bearer teams, ambulances, etc., you should not expect this to eliminate the need for squadmates to administer "Buddy Aid" -- actions of medical units it would be over and above Buddy Aid, taking over after initial Buddy Aid has happened.

No thanks..to much micromanagement for me. Happy how it is at the moment.

That is a valid point. But I have played a number of scenarios in which after the fighting has moved on from an area I've been forced to have small teams moving around in my rear rendering buddy aid ten minutes or more after the fighting has moved on. It Would be good to have medic teams for situations like that.

That is a valid point. But I have played a number of scenarios in which after the fighting has moved on from an area I've been forced to have small teams moving around in my rear rendering buddy aid ten minutes or more after the fighting has moved on. It Would be good to have medic teams for situations like that.

That's one of the things I use XO teams for.

Michael

And it's completely realistic that you need to do so if you want to avoid an increased KIA tally. Even very basic "first responder" care within 5 minutes of a serious trauma incident makes a big difference in the chance of long-term survival. In general, low-level combat formations include only a limited number of trained combat medics and dedicated stretcher bearer teams so there simply aren't going to be enough medics to care for every single wounded man immediately after a serious firefight. If everyone is to receive prompt attention, some men from the actual combat teams would have to be diverted to help care for and move the wounded, at least for a few minutes until more medical resources can be brought up.

Of course, you don't have to do this; if the tactical need is pressing, you can move on and leave the wounded for later. And sometimes this is what formations had to do IRL. This increases the number that will become KIA, but some will still survive as WIA. The game abstraction here is that the WIA who stay WIA are those whose wounds were light enough that they survived until medical personnel reached them to administer life-saving care. The WIA that died due to lack of Buddy Aid are are those whose wounds were more serious, but who might have survived if someone was there to immediately apply a tourniquet or field dressing or whatever.

Such is the wages of war.

Perhaps I'm just dense but I haven't seen a thread dedicated to suggestions on the expansion "packs". It's really like to see medics added to the game. Particularly in light of the fact that you can save points by tending to your wounded.

I have to agree with what others have said about this already. IMHO dedicated medics would move the game away from the tactical combat simulation. It would be hard to depict in a realistic manner.

I bags I don't serve in your army! You want to list the number of times that commanders have told troops to leave their wounded and then been surprised that they are ignored? IMHO. it is gamey and unrealistic to think that troops routinely leave wounded without at least some check on how bad he is, and attempting to help. Unless they are literally sprinting across a gap under fire, most troops would try to help. Working round that is part of the game...

Not a high priority, but the one improvement I would like to see someday wrt Buddy Aid is some sort of limited "Drag to Safety" utility. It's a little weird when a guy gets tagged in a really exposed place (e.g., rounding a blind corner on a street), and then the only way to Buddy Aid him is to put another guy out in the open right next to him for a minute or more, under fire. It'd be great to be able to lay down covering fire with the rest of the squad while 1-2 guys dash out and drag the unfortunate soul out back under cover where he can be helped with less risk of injury to others.

I have no good idea for how to implement this in the game without adding undue amounts of micromanagement for the player, but I'd still like to see it somehow, someday. :D

It seems like you could field depleted Soviet rifle squads with low experience and high-ish morale and remove the heavy weapons to create reasonable approximations of partisans. I mean, is there any really special aspect that is missing in-game that prevents partisan use? Doesn't seem too hard to me to throw some guys with guns and low experience together, but that's just my two cents. Not that I wouldn't like to see a "Partisan Pack".

• 1 year later...

Not a high priority, but the one improvement I would like to see someday wrt Buddy Aid is some sort of limited "Drag to Safety" utility. It's a little weird when a guy gets tagged in a really exposed place (e.g., rounding a blind corner on a street), and then the only way to Buddy Aid him is to put another guy out in the open right next to him for a minute or more, under fire. It'd be great to be able to lay down covering fire with the rest of the squad while 1-2 guys dash out and drag the unfortunate soul out back under cover where he can be helped with less risk of injury to others.

I have no good idea for how to implement this in the game without adding undue amounts of micromanagement for the player, but I'd still like to see it somehow, someday. :D

Now that would be desirable. But adding medics, as other have said, would add undesirable micromanagement that distracts from the what the game is meant to be, at least in my opinion. There are many more features I'd rather see worked on them something many people wouldn't even like.