Ever seen a Machinegun blow up a tank ? Well, now you can !

The T34/85 in the centre picture was KO'd earlier in this (Beta-testing) battle. The surviving crew bailed out and legged it. But in bailing out, they opened the front glacis hatch...

MachinegunKO1.jpg~original

In firing at other men crossing the river, a stream of MG42 bullets passed over it.

MachinegunKO2.jpg~original

And through the open hatch into the interior...where it must have struck ammo storage.

MachinegunKO3.jpg~original

Snap, crackle, pop.

MachinegunKO4.jpg~original

That has to go down as one of the most amazing thing I think I've ever seen in CM ! You could probably play 100 battles and not get to see that happen.

I'm also boggled that the intersection of bullets with ammunition inside a tank is modelled ! :eek:

WTG physics modelling !

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you sure you didn't run over a mine simultaneously?would be a natural spot for one near a fording point.

Nope, the tank was already abandoned by its crew ( lucky for them ;) ).

... otherwise the hatch wouldn't have been open ...

This type of event is what makes the CM series, to me, the pinnacle of milsim gaming.

Very much agree.

So THATS why the game's framerate makes my computer look like it's 20 years old. Because all the power that could have gone into graphics is going into calculating things that have a 99.99% chance of never happening.

LOL, no you don't understand the whole game works that way. There is not special effort being made for the once in a 1000 occurrence. The game tracks each bullet, that is how the whole thing works.

LOL, no you don't understand the whole game works that way. There is not special effort being made for the once in a 1000 occurrence. The game tracks each bullet, that is how the whole thing works.

After pointing out that this post of mine isn't serious support for moeburn's point (indeed, I think moeburn doesn't seriously support his point, as I took it as 99.99% tongue in cheek :)), I think your bit I've bolded was the basis of his point:

i.e. it is exactly because the game tracks every round, and captures the 0.01% occurrences as well as the 99% occurrences, that there is no computer horsepower left for graphics ... ??

Anyway: my favourite bit of internal modelling - before this! - was inspecting an enemy bailed-out Panther, and seeing the internal faces of the vision blocks present inside the cupola, visible when the top hatch was opened but the TC was no longer there ...

Sure that is not just secondary explosion?

Quite sure - it was never on fire. ( at least, not until after ... ;) )

...Also if it tracks every bullet why do I often see people getting shot at point blank and happily surviving?

I don't know, my guess is that in game, the tracer you see is not necessarily also a bullet - it's a "streak of light" for every "bunch of bullets".

Sure that is not just secondary explosion?

Also if it tracks every bullet why do I often see people getting shot at point blank and happily surviving?

Because every time a trooper gets hit with a bullet he gets a "saving throw" to simulate the bullet striking micro terrain that is not depicted but imagined.

Because every time a trooper gets hit with a bullet he gets a "saving throw" to simulate the bullet striking micro terrain that is not depicted but imagined.

Fair enough. So the soldier is actually weaving and sprinting and ducking and other terrain is in the way as well.

Fair enough. So the soldier is actually weaving and sprinting and ducking and other terrain is in the way as well.

Yep. This effect is most noticeable when troops are in really good cover, like a modular building. Watch a turn of high motivation, high quality troops under heavy autofire in such a building, and you'll likely see numerous times when the intersection of the "bullet line" with the pTruppes' fragile little pixels doesn't result in a casualty. The "terrain save", AIUI, depends on the troop quality as well as the cover they're in or behind.

Edit: Oh, and for those concerned that bullet tracking is what's eating all your CPU cycles, I think, from recent discussions with Steve on this forum, that there are orders of magnitude more spotting checks done every turn than bullets fired, and those really take some processing... :)