WOW Psychic

Wodin

OK CM SF came out then not long after we have had the terrible war in SYria..and now CM Black Sea is announced..and we have trouble in the Ukraine..lets hope this doesn't escalate into a war though.

Oh and please Battlefront..don't make a game about WW3 in western Europe!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading between the lines, I suspect that Putin was plain outmaneuvered by covert organization inflaming the situation during the Olympics so Putin couldn't do anything like send in troops. And now, after all those Olympic speeches about peace etc. he'd really look bad. If, so... Seriously brilliant plan.

Somehow, I doubt they'd have planned to release two "Russian" titles in the same half as a US sponsored war going down in the region. It may strike you as a brilliant plan, but BF could well wind up as collateral damage in the campaign.

As for the brilliance - there is no way anyone can respond militarily if Putin decides to go in. The populace of the EU just won't go for it (frankly, I doubt their militaries would either.) If one or two go but the others don't (and you have to have Germany agreeing to send it's own troops in for anyone to have a chance) you've forced the demise of NATO - an outcome both Russia and China would welcome. The US has one missile frigate in beached in Samsun (conveniently damaged at the end of its mission to assist with security for the Sochi games) and probably some support destroyers with it. So far as I can tell you're pretty close to outright civil war in your regular military, your intelligence community and your diplomat corp. You'd have to check the nature of the sackings over the last year (or three) to get an idea of where the executive stands on it all, but I can't see any evidence that this affair is driven by anyone capable of any meaningful display of intellect.

Destruction for the sake of destruction - the manifestation of an over-arching puerility in the psyche of the United States.

"You'd have to check the nature of the sackings over the last year (or three) to get an idea of where the executive stands on it all, but I can't see any evidence that this affair is driven by anyone capable of any meaningful display of intellect.

Destruction for the sake of destruction - the manifestation of an over-arching puerility in the psyche of the United States."

Say what!?

Bait and switch, Erwin. The threat was initially in Chechnya with the pre-games activity seeming to back this up. Then, as you noted, the real project got underway, planned to coincide with the Sochi games (The Georgia op was timed with the Beijing games. Someone likes the distraction and threat of a Munich type event.) The US is doing itself no favours in the international arena with this sort of behaviour, not least because the 'victory' in Ukraine will be followed up by what? - the same thing that happened last time: gas and trade cut off from Russia, who will make no bones about the likelihood of being forced out of the Black Sea (i.e. **** all chance of that). The best outcome the US (or that part of the US that set this... operation up) can hope for is a partitioned state and a new Cold War: the perfect setup for large Defense contracts continuing to be awarded by the US gov. The worst is Putin giving them the whole state and backing the resulting insurgency. In no case is the populace of the Ukraine (nor the US for that matter) going to get anything worth having.

The result of international trade and money laundering is that much of the Russian oligarchy's money is in places like London. If I were a betting person I would bet that coupled with the "Olympic Spirit" Putin can't make much of a move other than perhaps encourage the Crimea with its Black Sea Fleet base to secede from the Ukraine.

I would agree that nobody in the west or in Russia cares about the people of the Ukraine. This may be an example of ruthless realpolitik at its finest.

Anyway, no need for theorizing. It's like a soap opera and we'll see what happens in the next instalment...

Yes, dastardly US agents organized the mass popular protests in Kiev, the security services over-reaction, and also arranged for Russian military forces to mass on the borders for unscheduled "excercises".

Muahahahaha. *rubbing hands together maniacally* Our plan approaches fruition, land war in Europe involving nuclear armed opponents, just what we have wanted for years and years.

I love how folks from outside the US pretend to know what the folks that actually live here are thinking/feeling. Granted the same can be said for the US at times but the instances where we are actually asked/begged to interfere with money/influence/trade agreements/planes, tanks, and guns far out number the instances we have acted unilaterally. The reason we are so often INVOLVED is because we simply have the capability and usually a common interest.

Actually, the few times we have acted on our own accord we were attacked by outside forces or under the threat of that happening. The idea that the US people (who believe it or not actually do run the govt) support some sort of colonial, empire building conspiracy is laughable. Most of them cant get off the couch unless its to grab another Big Mac.

I have certainly indulged in my own conspiracy theorizing about the military industrial complex in the past but experience has taught me they are just too far fetched. Yes there are money grabbing opportunists in our government. Its a free society with plenty of opportunity and when you ask yourself why one would want to become a politician you don't really have to look that far to find the answer. Some just instinctively wanted to attach themselves to the base of power in a society (regardless of whether that was a king, a church, a movement, business, etc).

Iraq and Afghanistan, while well intentioned in the beginning, have left some deep scars on the American psyche. Much like post-Vietnam (though for very different reasons) I suspect the US will become more isolationist in the near future, hence the willingness to rely on a very slow diplomatic process re Iran and empty threats to Syria/Russia. I deeply regret we don't currently have the resolve or really capability right now to help in these areas. I think in the long term it would be very good for the west to do so. But on the other hand, I'd just rather they send someone else. Kinda tired (as is this nation) of wondering how much time I will have with my family before going overseas to help clean up someone else's mess.

Also, I think you guys are giving our security/intel services way too much credit. If we cant/wont sanction a "get rid of" policy with Snowden (just as an example), how could we facilitate multiple coup attempts in the Russians back yard?

"The idea that the US people (who believe it or not actually do run the govt)..."

Well, let's not get into sci-fantasy here lol...

It actually IS a conspiracy of corporations and lobbyists ensuring that the units of labor and units of consumption are kept out of the loop.

"Most of them cant get off the couch unless its to grab another Big Mac." Precisely put.

What I see happening in the US is what I experienced growing up in the UK. A slow disintegration of the military, budget cuts, economic woes, withdrawal from outposts and end of empire... Another superpower (China) on the horizon, making a grab for the goodies (most publicly in SE Asia - but they are in lots of other places around the world). Sad/scary...

Didn't mean to get into politics... Didn't intend to disparage, although I can see it comes across like that. It was intended as observation of events over the past 50-60 years.

I moved from the UK to get away from class and inequality issues there, and it used to be paradise in the US by comparison. Unfortunately, the problems seem to have followed across the pond.

I write some pretty inflammatory / stupid things at times and must come close to getting myself banned. I appreciate the forbearance, BF, and apologise to those offended by my remarks. Mostly, I get cranky when I see good people being taken advantage of by bad people and I think I see more of it today than I used to - a function of a jaundiced perspective, perhaps.

Back to topic - I was watching the news today after not being on the BFC forums for a while when I suddenly remembered the new BFC modern warfare game was going to be NATO vs. Russia in "fictional" conflict over Ukraine. I did get a creepy feeling right then after the way Syria turned out.

I will be following the crisis closely but I have to agree NATO would be very foolish to take on Russia and I doubt very much that we would fight such a major conflict over Ukraine. In many ways I feel that the Russians have a point - place names like Sevastopol and Balaclava harken back to the Crimean War against Russia. Whatever western Ukraine feels about the situation, Crimea is as Russian as they come. [EDIT] Sorry, slipped off-topic again. Very hard to avoid unfortunately.

Two reasons why Putin will get away with annexing Crimea...

1. The idea of armed conflict between US + Allies and Russia is completely unthinkable. We would risk a return to the Cold War, or possibly even a Nuclear Exchange.

2. Both the US and UK are in the grip of "war fatigue" as evidenced by the failed vote over Syrian intervention. If we got involved in Ukraine there would be a real possibility of civil disorder. You would see thousands of protestors on the streets. The US and UK governments know this all too well.

So for the time being, Putin is in a very strong position and can do more or less what he likes. He's a shrewd politician and is playing his hand well.

I don´t know why but I feel there is some kind of fortuneteller or agent inside Battlefront. Remember CMSF and Syria and now CMBS and Russia... I only hope this time "he" is wrong. :D

Well I haven't seen any strykers or abrams riding around in Syria. Nor did there go off any dirty bombs in western cities. Which was the backdrop for CMSF. Glad about it too! :)

Russia wont give up it's naval base and will make sure the Crimea stays in it's 'sphere' of influence. Not that breathtaking strange, imo. Rest of the world is all too keen on jumping the bandwagon to see if any interest can be made over this 'disruption in the force' ;)