MG Bridge Issues

From the very beginning I have had problems with bridges in CMBN, primarily movement across them. I have always managed to work around the issue and still enjoy the game. The bug wasn't fixed in any of the patches nor releases. I thought it might be in MG, since there are a lot of bridges here. (and yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything in order.) Unfortunately, I am still having these issues and now have a new one; the Levitating HT. Just finished the first scenario and thought I'd share the Levitating HT issue.

The Germans reinforcements entered the west side of the board and headed towards the main objective adjacent to the bridge. To get there they needed to cross under the bridge. At the same time some Panzers and a couple of Tigers were working their way to the access road to block my tanks sprinting across the bridge. All in all, a good move by the AI. And I don't think what happened next had much of an impact on the outcome; Tiger's will usually win a frontal battle against Shermans.

The HT's crossing under the bridge began to levitate......

hrp4.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/hrp4.jpg/

This is not related to the graphic oddities exhibited in the original post, but it's important to know that waypoint placement on bridges is much more reliable if "ATI Left-Click Compatibility" is OFF in the Options menu.

I learned this only recently, and it has made a big difference.

LiveNoMore,

Interesting! As with any new feature (and these bridges required a lot of new code) there are always some problems. But I have to say that after all the time tested, and all the other bugs found and squashed, I don't recall seeing this one before.

I'll have one of our "minions" sink his teeth. If you have a save game, please have it at the ready!

Steve

Thanks for all the input. I will look at the "ALT-left-click" setting. I have had waypoint issues with bridges from the beginning.

I am using:

HP h8-1020

Intel i7-2600s CPU 2.8CHz

8gig memory

64 bit

AMD Radeon HD6570 Driver 13.152.0.0 8/30/13

Unfortunately, I don't have a saved game.

Don't get my post as a major complaint. I really like the game system and the new mods

Thanks Martyr, I am currently using "ATI Left-Click Compatibility" OFF on my MacPro, OS X 10.8.5 - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core - ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB for CMBN/CW 2.01 and have a fine experience. BF is on target with their gaming entertainment value.

I am sure bridges required a lot of new code. I really appreciate Steve's sending "minions" sink their teeth in. I will purchase Market Garden but not in a rush if any teething issues need a little tweaking.

A "Laughing Gas supplement & Black Sea" bone will work till the teething is sorted out ;)

As with any new feature (and these bridges required a lot of new code) there are always some problems. But I have to say that after all the time tested, and all the other bugs found and squashed, I don't recall seeing this one before.

I had a pleasant surprise this afternoon. I wanted the bulk of a squad to cross a creek over a footbridge, but I wasn't able to put a waypoint directly at either end of the bridge. I shrugged, figuring the creek was so shallow that the troops would be easily able to ford it in any case. Much to my surprise, they marched right over the bridge without missing a beat. Pathfinding seems to have improved a little in 2.10.

:)

Michael

Some testers remembered a long ago report of this problem. This problem was always very, very difficult to reproduce. It was supposedly fixed and we haven't seen it for a while, but I guess it wasn't totally fixed. I'd say mostly fixed, though, because with the number of you guys playing now we'd have seen dozens of reports if it wasn't.

Now that we know it's still kicking around we'll give it some attention.

Steve

To follow up on Steve's post above, since this is an intermittent, difficult to reproduce bug:

If anybody else does capture this bug in the wild, a save file would help immensely. I spent some time trying to reproduce it this morning but was not able to. It's probably triggered by a very specific arrangement of waypoints or something like that.

If you don't have a save file, then details describing exactly where and when it happened could be helpful -- specific scenario/map, exactly where on the map it occurred, units involved, etc.

Sorry, but that is hilarious..hope you get it sorted though :)

Bridges are a traditional source of hilarity in games, that's for sure. What seems to be just another simple map item is, to the computer, a hornet's nest. I don't think any of us wargamers have to think hard to remember bridge problems in wargames over the years.

Steve