Operation Market Garden announced!

There are people that collect thimbles saying the same thing. "How come more people don't collect thimbles?" It's just one of those things. I think serious wargames are more a cerebral pursuit than say a Ghost Recon or Call of Duty type game so probably don't translate well for guys that are into all out action (think jock vs the nerd). Though, a game like CM is the best of both worlds in my opinion—deep thought, cunning, tactics, planning, followed by that mad minute where all of the former goes completely wrong.

Mord.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are people that collect thimbles saying the same thing. "How come more people don't collect thimbles?" It's just one of those things. I think serious wargames are more a cerebral pursuit than say a Ghost Recon or Call of Duty type game so probably don't translate well for guys that are into all out action (think jock vs the nerd). Though, a game like CM is the best of both worlds in my opinion—deep thought, cunning, tactics, planning, followed by that mad minute where all of the former goes completely wrong.

Mord.

Its also about trends in the market and society.

My friend and I were talking yesterday, about how he was in the mood for a good combat flight sim and he couldnt seem to find any new.

It seems that the current trend in games is to have the game work as a gravy-train on rails letting the player feel like an ultimate badass no matter how little skill he has.

But that trend might be shifting since X-com made such a huge splash just because it had an Iron Man mode and was very unforgiving to new players (still would have preferred that it was closer to the original, but still).

A few other games that are unforgiving and difficult have come out recently that have sparked interest in these kind of games again.

Games where skill and actually using your brain are the key to winning.

Unfortunately, "hard-core gamers" are still considered to be the ones that sit for hours on end doing a repetetive task that they have done a thousand times already just to get a rare piece of loot.

Gone are the days when a hard-core gamer was someone that played difficult games and beat them.

But it might be coming back.

I hope so anyway.

I'm not entirely convinced that it's because serious wargames are relatively cerebral; lots of people like cerebral stuff. People will memorize tons of rules and put an incredible amount of thought and planning into their fantasy RPGs, but realistic wargaming doesn't seem nearly as popular as fantasy RPGs.

Maybe it's the historical focus of wargames that turns people off? It's like how few people know much about real-life medieval history but you see this huge bottomless pit of medieval-style fantasy stuff, most of it based off of real-life medieval myths, with all the magic and dragons and so on. People are obviously very interested in medieval life, weapons and combat, but are usually uninterested in the real history behind it and cling to fantasy as an outlet for their interest instead.

I'm not saying that fantasy stuff is bad or anything, but it's always puzzled me a bit why real-life history is so often ignored.

I'm not saying that fantasy stuff in bad or anything, but it's always puzzled me a bit why real-life history is so often ignored.

As far as I've understood this topic, it's a basic psychology thing.

Real-life is often depressing and is governed by rules that are hard to ignore. Fantasy is just that.

I'm not saying this in a bad way, but a lot of really hardcore fantasy types I've known have been...slightly aloof. So it is more comforting to project into fantasy.

Can't say I blame them. I am also very much a geek when it comes to scifi and fantasy.

Actually, I also had to have a special codpiece made of armor plate. I kept bursting the other kind.

:D

Michael

And I was just speaking of thimble collectors.

Mord.

P.S. See what I did there? My genius knows no bounds...or codpiece.

I'm not entirely convinced that it's because serious wargames are relatively cerebral; lots of people like cerebral stuff. People will memorize tons of rules and put an incredible amount of thought and planning into their fantasy RPGs, but realistic wargaming doesn't seem nearly as popular as fantasy RPGs.

For my part, that's because if you're doing historical, it "has" to be right. With Fantasy, you can jigger with things a lot more without anyone getting huffy. And RPGs might take lots of planning, but they don't require you to paint umpteen gazillion figures or leave an A0 hexmap at the mercy of the family cat for three weeks solid (cos if you took it down after each game session you'd end up spending the whole next session setting the game up again and then doing one turn and recording the thing and taking it down again). I've been LARPing for 28 years, but one season of re-enactment was enough nit-picking (of historical details; we were only showerless for a weekend at a time and lice weren't a problem) for me.

Maybe it's the historical focus of wargames that turns people off? It's like how few people know much about real-life medieval history but you see this huge bottomless pit of medieval-style fantasy stuff, most of it based off of real-life medieval myths, with all the magic and dragons and so on. People are obviously very interested in medieval life, weapons and combat, but are usually uninterested in the real history behind it and cling to fantasy as an outlet for their interest instead.

I think in terms of "general interest", the myths grab the attention nowadays for the same reason they grabbed the attention way back when: they're more interesting and less banal and humdrum than "real life" and the big problem of a dragon takes the mind off the more important problem of the sick pig.

...the myths grab the attention nowadays for the same reason they grabbed the attention way back when: they're more interesting and less banal and humdrum than "real life"...

In real life, the interplay of the archetypes is normally masked and diluted. In myth and fantasy they appear in purer and more naked form. That gives them great power, but that much wattage in daily life would quickly burn us out. Which is why in daily life the archetypes are masked and diluted.

Michael

Moaning Grognards?

Haha good one. Not a regular forum member here, I usually first hear about my next imminent Battlefront purchase on The Flare Path: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/23/the-flare-path-goes-dutch/

Anyone else hear about upcoming Battlefront stuff there first? Tim Stone always seems to make me want to get my credit card out double-quick, whether I can afford it at the time or not haha. Looking forward to buying it Steve and everyone who worked on it, thank you for putting it all together for us. I'm sure it'll be superb.

At 50 ? ;)

Last July I did reach that respectable age and I must confess I did quite some mumbling after reading some of the previous posts...;-)

Given the fact that you like ABC, you can't be much younger than me, Seedorf. Great album btw, although I must confess I'm listening more to Barok music and Gregorian chants nowadays. Must be my age...

Given the fact that you like ABC, you can't be much younger than me, Seedorf. Great album btw, although I must confess I'm listening more to Barok music and Gregorian chants nowadays. Must be my age...

The music of your formative years never leaves you. When I was a kid, I listened to the new releases from the Beatles and the Stones on the radio. The 70's also brought along a lot of incredible music. (Yes, I liked Abba too!) ABC is from the 80's and I was already beginning to think that 'they don't write proper pop music anymore' way back then.

As it happened, my mom brought me up to appreciate Bach and Mozart as well and they've never left me. I've never forgotten the impact the first movement of Mozart's 40th Symphony had on me when I first heard it as a child. It's nice now, as an adult, to be able to play some of my favourite Bach pieces on the piano now as well. (The preludes rather than the fugues, of course, but also the main theme of the Goldberg variations. That one was particularly satisfying to learn to play and sometimes I still can't believe that it's me playing it.