Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Operational Level Game Announcement

• 3 months later...

Two months ago I would have said yes, however I am happy to report that things are looking up. We are currently way behind our schedule, but my developer has recovered from his health scare. So things are looking up, but I am guarding my optimism. We hope to post something significant in a month or two.

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2022 at 11:48 PM, Erwin said:

An operational-level has been the holy grail even when CM1 was first released.  So good luck to you.

Hi,

Agreed 🙂.

I very much hope this one happens. But I have noticed that both Vassal, and the broad games themselves, have improved a lot. Very doable to use say, Multi-Man Publishing's Panzers Last Stand, together with Vassal as an operational layer. 

All the best,

Kip. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is something I also would love. I'm currently still pretty new to Combat Mission, but actually purchased it initially as a part of a "homemade" Operational level game using John Tillers Campaign Series as the big picture just in its editor mode but zooming in for every battle to this level, then altering the strengths in the JTCS game, withdrawing or advancing, then continuing...kind of a PITA lol but fun overall...rules for reinforcements or repairs of vehicles that didn't totally brew up, etc. 

On 6/8/2024 at 2:41 PM, rvseydlitz said:

This is something I also would love. I'm currently still pretty new to Combat Mission, but actually purchased it initially as a part of a "homemade" Operational level game using John Tillers Campaign Series as the big picture just in its editor mode but zooming in for every battle to this level, then altering the strengths in the JTCS game, withdrawing or advancing, then continuing...kind of a PITA lol but fun overall...rules for reinforcements or repairs of vehicles that didn't totally brew up, etc. 

Reminds me too: @kohlenklau Did a similar thing a looooong time ago to create umpired multi-player games, CMPzC. Using John Tiller’s Panzer Campaigns as operational level overlay and a few players on each side to play the actual battles with CM. He umpired quite a few of those games back then. Perhaps it may be worthwhile to try and revive that.

Edited by StieliAlpha

On 6/12/2024 at 11:57 AM, StieliAlpha said:

Reminds me too: @kohlenklau Did a similar thing a looooong time ago to create umpired multi-player games, CMPzC. Using John Tiller’s Panzer Campaigns as operational level overlay and a few players on each side to play the actual battles with CM. He umpired quite a few of those games back then. Perhaps it may be worthwhile to try and revive that.

That would be awesome...huge fan of PanzCamp games too. 

It just makes it easier to get into a "battle" if there is also a bigger operational or strategic picture involved.

On 6/12/2024 at 11:57 AM, StieliAlpha said:

One could make a map of an area of interest in CM, then use branching decision scenarios to choose a path/next battle. It would require a number of scenarios, but this all can be done with the game as is.

Below is an example of what I mean. I made this proof of concept for FR (and it was possibly adopted in CW, if I recall), but there was already too much to fit it in. This "operational map" covers the area of Operation Spring Awakening, with Székesfehérvár at the top, and Simontornya being the terminal battle.

My idea was to have a few new flavor objects for the towns and smaller trees, but it can be done with what we have (and maybe a 2D mod or two). I suppose there should be some standard for what the 3D stuff means (2 small barns= town, 4 large buildings= city, etc).

This could be done in any of the titles. It would require making an "operational" map, Core force, the campaign script, and included battles.

1312145263_cmredthunder.exeScreenshot2020_03.09-20_19_46_60.jpg.0f13aa40fb821f5a43a456700950f0ed.thumb.jpg.e31552779c11d354078c8c9c4d673d35.jpg.2f895e6f1eff5cd6ad2e574177d17ac3.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2024 at 10:48 AM, benpark said:

One could make a map of an area of interest in CM, then use branching decision scenarios to choose a path/next battle. It would require a number of scenarios, but this all can be done with the game as is.

Below is an example of what I mean. I made this proof of concept for FR (and it was possibly adopted in CW, if I recall), but there was already too much to fit it in. This "operational map" covers the area of Operation Spring Awakening, with Székesfehérvár at the top, and Simontornya being the terminal battle.

My idea was to have a few new flavor objects for the towns and smaller trees, but it can be done with what we have (and maybe a 2D mod or two). I suppose there should be some standard for what the 3D stuff means (2 small barns= town, 4 large buildings= city, etc).

This could be done in any of the titles. It would require making an "operational" map, Core force, the campaign script, and included battles.

1312145263_cmredthunder.exeScreenshot2020_03.09-20_19_46_60.jpg.0f13aa40fb821f5a43a456700950f0ed.thumb.jpg.e31552779c11d354078c8c9c4d673d35.jpg.2f895e6f1eff5cd6ad2e574177d17ac3.jpg

Have you seen/tried the program Geccos?

On 8/2/2024 at 3:15 PM, benpark said:

Never heard of it. What does it do?

It's like a virtual gameboard. Really it just serves as a placeholder for icons that you can place on a .jpg image.

So I slapped together a bunch of CM maps in MS Paint, added a grid to it, and added icons through the program.

It comes pre-loaded with icons so it's easy to get started. You can also add your own icons. You can draw some simple stuff on the map if you want. For me it's the perfect tool short of having a full game dedicated to operational fighting.

Here is a picture of a zoomed in section of my stalingrad file for "day 1".

Se9lsC.png

In the top left corner is the division HQ, divisional units, and two regiments broken down into companies (Smallest boxes on the map). On the right companies and a battalion HQ are advancing into the next square to conduct a battle.

The symbols provided with the game are historically correct, but you can add your own so it's not so confusing. Also it shows the name of the units down below where it says "Campaign Stalingrad Zoom 25%".

Here is the picture of the full map I made but without the divisions being fleshed out. This one was intended for both teams to see so they had an idea of what to expect with the campaign.

1lGwd5.png

Before the biggest problem with the program was being able to export a file to others, but that's been recently solved so this is a viable tool once again.

That looks like a good UI.

There's certainly a way to get ChatGPT or the like to keep track and ref these roll-your-own operational things with some creative prompting. I have an AI setup with the manual loaded in, so the AI has a general sense of what's possible for some experimentals.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, A Canadian Cat said:

@Artkin and @Vergeltungswaffe I cannot find that on the internet. All I get are things with Gecko in the name 🙂 Even when I force it to go with my spelling or try "Generic Campaign Control System" I get nothing.

Is this still something that is available?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xq4z0pb0wq8mnbqnhef8l/Geccos.zip?rlkey=kzs0wd3yzr3eohl3titrhl85o&st=7f8tdkll&dl=0

I can send you a file later for it so you can see its potential, but I'd need you to create a file and send me the .xml so I can make sure your time line of code is the same as mine. For american - american there shouldnt be any trouble