Operational Level Game Announcement

What about some links to miniatures wargaming sites. Those guys would love a campaign/operational interface while "pushing tin" around the table. Well at least the ones I know. They are always asking me for help with Vassal like maps to handle the operational side of things. Then rush to game it out on the tables. Never really works well.....IMHO.......But in the future I think it might!!  :D

Hey T.W.

I am very sure that Matt would appreciate anything you can do to spread the word out to those miniatures players.

I am not plugged in with any of those sites.

I tried board game geek for the dice rollers but their site is tough and would not allow any links to off their site.

I think they even deleted my post. I cannot find it....

Yes, kohlenklau speaks accurately (for once) :P ...sorry buddy! Anyway, yes lets continue to spread the word! We are in a constant state of evaluation, but we are full go rattling those cages. I have also been working overtime to see if we can get some prettier pics to share, and production on a video.

Matt, some outreach suggestions:

Consimworld Forum has a "submit news" form that you can use to try and get them to post a story about it on the CSW home page. If you want to find the board wargame grognards, that's where many of them they hang out. Also try posting in threads for specific tactical WWII games that you think players want to would use CO with.

Also, try setting up a game page on Boardgamegeek for CO. That gives people a place to find it and congregate. Create a developer diary on BGG and make posts to it frequently. You may need to explain in your setup submission that while CO is a computer playing aid, it supports tactical boardgames by giving them an operational level to link their battles and create larger campaigns. 

The Miniatures Page is a very important site that you need to be on. There are ways to make constructive contributions to discussion threads and mention CO and link to it, without crossing the line into advertising or shilling.

Don't overlook the regional and national wargame conventions like Historicon, Consimworld Expo, etc. You could get a table, take a laptop and stage some demo games using CO, talk to participants about your project, and solicit backers. 

There are also some very strong regional wargaming clubs (Metropolitan NYC, the 1st Minnesota in the Twin Cities, etc.) that can become early supporters and enthusiasts.

And get in touch with the guys who do the leading wargaming Podcasts. Those include "Advance After Combat," "I've Been Diced," and "Guns, Dice & Butter."

Edited by Broadsword56

Ok I've done my bit spreading the word - Army Rumour Service (ARRSE):

http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/combat-operations.243467/

Wargames Guild:

http://www.guildwargamers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=39281#p421200

We'll see what comes from those two - probably not much from the former but you may get a tickle from the Guild. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, I guess I only posted in a different thread... For those that are interested, come to our new forum at http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php and see what is going on. It became clear that we needed much more information presented for our KS campaign, and we weren't agile enough to respond in a timely manner so I cancelled the campaign. We failed to reach our monetary goals, but we came away in a stronger position with the contacts made, and awareness. We have re-grouped, done some reorganizing, and work continues. Thanks to BFC, I will come here and post an update from time to time, but if you want to join the conversation or see more of what is going on please come to our new forum.

Thanks,

-Matt

• 3 months later...

Happy New Year to you all! It has been awhile since I have posted anything here, so I figure it was about time I made an appearance. In case you have not been following this project since my last post I have a fair amount to report. October was spent reorganizing and preparing our game concept to show at a game expo. Side note: in preparation for the expo we decided to change the name of the game to Theater of Operations (TO). It ended up being a hurried process,so yesterday we opened up a new poll on our forum for members to vote on a new name. Feel free to join and cast your vote! Back to the expo; while we didn't find people flush with lots of cash to fund game development :(, it was great exposure and a great experience :D. Lots of new contacts were made, and we generated a lot more interest than I anticipated.

Since the expo we have been focused on creating a working demo. Since TO is an indie project with people volunteering their time progress is slow, but we hope to have the demo ready by the end of February. The demo probably won't be very fancy, but the plan is to have it show basic game play and concepts. In the mean time I am producing some short videos to help provide a better understanding of the unique features TO will have to offer. The first video is currently waiting to be edited, and the topic will discuss how command roles will work for multiplayer games. I hope to post this first video early next week on our forum. Other videos will follow, so stay tuned.

We were due to roll out a better looking website this week, but like everything else, it hasn't gone according to plan. I am hopeful this will get remedied within the next week...keep your fingers crossed. Feel free to stop by our old webpage at www.buckeyebg.com. We are trying to provide more content all the time.

Soon after we complete the demo, we will attempt another Kickstarter campaign. To stay up on all the latest and greatest I invite you to stop by  http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php#c10 and check out our current forum. There is lots of additional content in the forum since I last posted here. You don't have to be a member to view the topics and discussions, but you do have to be a member to interact. Please join us!

I can't stress this enough: this project will not survive without your support. If you are interested at all in seeing this project succeed, there are many ways to actively support this game project short of funding us. Bottom line is we need funding, but helping us advertise by spreading the word, supporting our efforts on other forums, etc, will be key to success. Feel free to contact me at this forum or at dogsofwarvu if you want to talk further about supporting us. Otherwise stay tuned and check out our latest efforts.

Regards,

-Matt

http://www.buckeyebg.com/

http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php#c10

Edited by choppinlt

• 3 weeks later...

Hey gang Matt needs some help with naming suggestions.  Go here and see what you think: http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,1633.0.html

Personally I think there is only one name worth anything and I really do not like the rest - I'm not saying which I like but right now it is tied with the truly lamest one there.

If that doesn't get you guys riled up to check it out nothing will :D

Hey gang Matt needs some help with naming suggestions.  Go here and see what you think: http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,1633.0.html

Personally I think there is only one name worth anything and I really do not like the rest - I'm not saying which I like but right now it is tied with the truly lamest one there.

If that doesn't get you guys riled up to check it out nothing will :D

Man, I hope I didn't just register and then vote for the lame one. I'll never get credibility back ...

Edited by Baneman

Ha, you guys are cracking me up! I think I know which way we are going with the game name, but I need to confirm with the rest of the team. Thank you to those who participated, even to those that chose "wrong", right Ian? ;) Check in to the forums and see our progress. I hope to have a new video up in the next week that directly talks about Combat Mission players. Till next time!

That's OK Ian, but thanks for trying! :) I got the data I was looking for. Since it came down to 2 different names with roughly equal votes, I think we are going to stick with Theater of Operations. If another name had run away with it, then I would have chosen that name.

Moving on...as we lay the groundwork for a new run at Kickstarter I am looking for some volunteers to actively post and otherwise get the word out on various different forums and websites. Right now it is just the planning stage, but if you are interested in being part of an organized effort in getting the word out then please email me at the cmbnrocks@gmail.com address. Several of you pitched in and helped out the last time, but I want to take a more organized and thoughtful approach this time around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 13/07/2013 at 6:58 PM, SlowMotion said:

This project sounds interesting. Will follow its development for sure.

Just one thing I want to say right now: please make sure that the small display of current mobile devices does not limit COO. PCs with bigger screens are a much better tool for things like this, because they allow you to view big maps etc. So if possible allow UI to adjust to screen size so the extra pixels can be put to use.

You could use Chromecast or similar to cast to a TV.