Operational Level Game Announcement

Hello Agusto, and thanks for your reply and interest! BLUF(Bottom Line Up Front)- I have gotten very serious about attaining funding for this project. In fact as of yesterday I have a few different funding offers on the table, so I am currently evaluating them. With funding will come full time professional computer development, so at the moment things are looking good for getting this fully under way...but nothing is guaranteed yet...

Please read on as I address the rest of your post. It sounds like you have a skill set that could be of great benefit to this project. If you would like to discuss further, send me a PM.

My operational game's name is Theater of Operations (TOO). TOO will be a fully functioning standalone/independent operational level game. That means no other game/software is needed to play it, HOWEVER I am designing TOO in such a way that it can give an order of battle (OOB) to players that *want* to play out the battle on the tactical battlefield i.e. you don't have to play it out. Most battles will probably NOT be played out on the tactical battlefield for sheer time purposes, but TOO would automatically resolve the battles with its combat engine.

Most likely the early version of TOO won't include a fully automated data transfer process between TOO and CM, BUT the goal is to have one eventually. I have talked to the guys here are BFC and this is definitely all on the table, but I need to get TOO developed first. So when a battle of interest occurs players can get the OOB and set up the battles in CM i.e. they manually set up the battles. This is all a means to an end, because I want to stress that the attainable goal will be to have an automatic data transfer process. A good example of what I am talking about exists. Some of you may be familiar with Field of Glory: Empires which came out in 2019. This is a standalone diplomatic level game, but if a player wants to fight out a battle tactically, a process was developed to let them play it out using Field of Glory 2. Despite the similarity in names, they are 2 completely different games...they share the same publisher, so this is a fair comparison.

Where does TOO stand? I have developed 90% of the game mechanics and algorithms. It is ready for beta testing. I have a fully functioning combat resolution system that gives very reasonable results. Go to my forum (link is at my footer) and you can see a manual playthrough we did of a St. Lo scenario. A battle or two was played out with CM to demonstrate that concept as well. While the game mechanics are mature, I need professionals to make it in to software. The plan is to use Unity.

Why am I wanting to develop a full game? Because that is where my interest lies for one. Secondly it has to do with the market. I can create a operational level game that will appeal to the operational market and the portion of the tactical market that is looking for a campaign system. There is more, but I will leave it there for now.

Check out the forum, look around and feel free to join the conversation over there!

Your progress is incredibly encouraging.

None of the previous "attempts" at this ever really got off the ground, to the best of my knowledge, so I am thrilled you seem to be committed to seeing this through to success.

I sincerely hope you're able to finish the product to the point of fully automated data transfer to CM, market it, and have healthy sales. I know I'll buy it.

• 1 month later...

Hey all, I just wanted to give a quick update. We have come to tentative agreement to start full development in approximately 2 weeks! The devs are people I know and have dealt with before, and they live locally. This has several obvious advantages going forward.  While nothing is guaranteed yet, I'm confident enough to make this announcement. Check out the forum link below so you can stay up to date on the project.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, development has begun! We have only been going at this for about 4 weeks, so there isn't anything to show. Feel free to follow along on the forum below and watch how things are taking shape. Again there isn't much to talk about at the moment, but give it another month and there should be some things to see.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks gents! Our forum is the best place to see updates, and the status of the game. Progress is being made, and we are closer every day to a very rough/basic game play demo.

As a reminder, Theater of Operations is an operational level game. As a long time CM player myself, I have always wanted a campaign layer. So a feature of the operational level game will allow players to give inputs on tactical battles that develop (being able to use it as a campaign layer). The concepts are shown in different threads on our forum for those that have not seen it. On initial release, battle data will be input manually by players. We *hope* to develop an automated feature for battle data transfer with CM, but nothing happens until we get TOO released.

Love the questions and the interest. Success depends on this community's support!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...