ALLIED : Gustav Line BETA AAR Round Two - Eye of the Elefant

ANZAC Day ... a brief intermission

Sorry for the slight delay in the usual pace of the game. On ANZAC day we run a sleepover at the Scout Hall, and take the Scouts to the Dawn Service, then on to the "reception" at the local Returned Servicemens League club. Not a lot of sleep had for the leaders :)

8680228100_809118be77_b.jpg

8680233464_c7c51792ab_b.jpg

8679122781_38ebcb1003_b.jpg

I want one of these!

8680244922_8cdd057aae_b.jpg

The Padre did a good job of reminding us that ANZAC Day us not a celebration of war, but a time for thankful rememberance - thankful to those who gave so we have what we have, and thankful and prayerful that we do not have go to war again.

8680235958_77a75f08a1_b.jpg

Normal service will resume shortly...

GaJ

Yeah....I am on your side GAJ but 20% time on the tits is no real problem for Bill IMHO.

Time to HUNKER DOWN.

What is the truth????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7xCiXakVY8

Great scene.

Rocky & Adrian - one of cinema's best couples, heaps underrated.

As to the truth ... I've faced my fears already, I'm out here in the ring doing battle. If I loose, it will be with no excuses, no fear ... and I can live with that.

;)

Which takes us back to the battle.

I'm glad to see that the attacker has fairly limited time in this battle.

That all depends on which side of the map you're sitting on. To me it seems like he has an age!

While 20% on the Tits may be no big problem for Bil, at least it's more than nothing. If he had chosen a flanking attack, he'd be well past the middle of the map by now.

This turn... I spotted me an Elefant!

8680571928_c58aa04fff_b.jpg

These guys are trotting up the spur from the outcrop where they were watching the Brumbar (that backed off) to see what they could see on Right Tit. Instead, while they were moving, they briefly laid eyes on this beast as it parked on Left Tit.

8679467789_dd8f0d27f6_b.jpg

It is clearly definitely time for the MMG and Mortar over on Hill 190, on my right spur, to bug out, so that's what they will be doing.

This turn, the mortar landed some fire in the vicinity of Bil's Right Tit HTs, but I couldn't see if it was effective. The grass played a role again this turn... have a look at this sequence:

1: HQ in HT:

8680631878_a4ea2b797a_b.jpg

2: HQ out of HT:

8679522437_278c8324e0_b.jpg

3: HQ disappears!

8679522701_c3d037e08e_b.jpg

I know I keep going on about this, but it seems quite a significant factor in how things are unfolding. Where I was expecting to be firing upon inf that are securing the Tits, instead I'm firing blind and guessing.

At this stage of the game, it seems to be in Bil's favour. I can only hope that he has equal trouble finding me, as I'm trying to defend and hold fast!

In other news, Bil's harrassing fire behind Hill 172 continues. This is quite interesting stuff when you think about it. If he's harrassing back there, then he thinks that this is a good place for me to be. I've looked at the options of what to do behind those hills, and I can't see any reason why I'd have stuff behind there. That whole face of the ridge to the VL is exposed to Hill 130 where he rightly has the JgPz and Brummbar!

However, it is having some effect on my tactical options. He's showing me that he can put HE back there wherever he likes. This makes me even more cautious about moving the M10s around ... he only needs a sound contact from back there to start zooming those big bangs in on the open tops... not good, now that the time is approaching for manouevering to respond to the press up the centre.

Last of all, the poor bugger from the left Kubelwagon has showed up, making his way carefully up a path towards the VL Spur - Sunken Road:

8680640686_8a4f4c3a37_b.jpg

Who would be this guy, eh?

If I were him, I'd certainly be walking in the long grass, not following the path!

GaJ

I decided to fire on the KW man using the snipers that spotted the Elefant. They are in the grass, and can't see the Elefant's TC, due to the angle of the Elefant on Left Tit.

(In fact, right now, they can't see the Elefant at all, they'd have to back track, but you can probably see how the TC is protected from them in the picture above).

Ideally, they can either take down KW-man, or at least slow him up for a bit, without giving away anything about what is waiting up on Sunken Rd. At the moment, I'm not aware of anything that can see these Snipers at all - they may have been spotted while they ran to their current position (for example, by the Elefant), but I can't see anything right now that can see them.

They are tired, but have a clear blue line to KW man, at 250m.

GaJ

Nice pix...

Has the ability of the tall grass to conceal infantry modified your plan?

Not at this stage, in a big way. I already have scattered defences in the mid-field that are hoping for concealment, so if the grass works well for them its a bonus.

I have some sneaking around planned to maybe take out TCs with the snipers up the front, and maybe get some satchels into range of tanks if they come up the middle at all off centre of the road... we'll see.

One thing I've learned in the past is that concealment is one of those things that works for the enemy but not for the friendlies. Smoke is an especially fickle friend ... we'll see how gras treats me..

GaJ

@ GaJ

Looks like that battle will be quite different from the last one. I had posted to Bil that since you were in defense it would a hard nut to crack this time. Besides it looks like your setting is well done.

He came for the left and right Tits, somehow very slowly and the Elefant that has just rejoined has been spotted, not even seeing your guys.

That Elefant to my belief would be an asset if used at long range that is why it has been made for with its 88. Its employment right there is a call for disaster.

I don’t know if he is going to move along that ridge road, but if he does at the same speed than earlier, the battle will be over before he comes nearer to the objective of Santa Maria.

BTW having put some obstacles at the Tits to make him believe you were there, was clever. However you are only using mortar to harass him over there. Artillery and TRP’s would have been better. Germans as someone recalled it, frequently registered their defense outposts to enable them after having moved out to unleash devastating artillery on the newly installed enemy.

That would have been a severe blow on Bil’s troops and HT’s if it had been done.

Did you think about it and if so, why did you put it aside?

I put Artillery aside completely, because it was too expensive and I had no intel on what Bil's force mix would be. <<< This is the most important point.

He might have brought all tanks - then that would be 300pts minumum (81mm) down the drain. That's one or two M10s, depending on the calibre of arty.

Plus, it is a blunt weapon. Even if I had a battery of off map 81s (least expensive while still effective), and a TRP on the Tits, I wouldn't open fire right now. Remember that I haven't seen more than one or two men on the tits. I don't know where they are. As far as I can tell, Left Tit might be unoccupied other than the Elefant, and Right Tit has only an HQ that diappeared off the HT that I showed you. That is not enough to warrant an artillery barrage. The HTs are good at manoevering quickly out the way.

That is the problem with artillery: you need to know that you will face a force of inf, and be confident that you can steer them into a place where they are grouped up and stalled in place enough for kills to happen.

The harrassing fire from the onmap mortar is mostly a slowing and hassling tactic. Last turn it would have made him pay if he had pushed further forwards from Right Tit (if he did do, I didn't see it ... and if he didn't then mission accomplished).

I'm disappointed that the MMGs aren't taking down more men (or any??) - if they could have seen some I'm sure they would have done. This was frustrated by either Bil not putting men on the Tits, or me not being able to see them despite having LOS to there.

Right now, the things that the MMG fire has achieved is

- maybe helped the right wing Sniper sneak away to be a nuisance another day, by making Bil reluctant to come chasing him on my right flank right side of Left Tit, and

- forced Bil to bring up a big tank into my view, letting me know where more of his armour its. It's great that I know that the Elefant is in the middle: yet another piece of evidence that I don't face a surprise major flank attack. (Especially my right flank, where I still am rather blind: I have eyes, but can't see anything!!)

Please be careful with information you post here: I am not aware of whether Bil has or has not spotted my guys. No harm done at this stage, because I already posted the orders that has them running away.

GaJ

@ GaJ

That Elefant to my belief would be an asset if used at long range that is why it has been made for with its 88. Its employment right there is a call for disaster.

Remember that Bil is a master of LOS at the best of times, and this is his own map.

He knows that nothing can see his Elefant from side on, where it is parked right now. If my MMG and Mortar are slow getting out, they will be blown up by one or two explosions from it's 88... probably not what Bil would call a disaster :) . It will be more interesting how he manouevers the Elefant further up the road, that is for sure...

GaJ

@ GaJ

Looks like that battle will be quite different from the last one. I had posted to Bil that since you were in defense it would a hard nut to crack this time. Besides it looks like your setting is well done.

He came for the left and right Tits, somehow very slowly and the Elefant that has just rejoined has been spotted, not even seeing your guys.

Getting awfully close or maybe over the line there on OPSEC. I haven't read Bil's installment, but there should be no discussion here about what Bil might or might not have noted.

Pfft GaJ beat me to it. I type s...l...o... where is that "w' ...ohh there it is....w

Well, you can't catch Bil out :)

His HT's under mortar fire this time moved forwards instead of back:

8676639951_0083aefbe5_b.jpg

On the upside of this - it took almost a minute for the mortar to adjust aim, so only one round was wasted.

At the same time, a full size tank started making an approach to Left Tit. This of course must be the guy that will silence my right flank fire.

I toyed with the idea of letting those forward right flank dudes bug out this turn, but in the end decided that they should make hay while the sun shines. So the mortar is continuing to harrass the Right Tit HTs and the MMG is continuing to shoot blind at Left Tit - this turn with the aim of making it hard for Bil to chase my Sniper who's trying to get away.

Don't be worry about an always possible Intel leak. I was only referring to that map which is yours GaJ.

About the LOS sure Bil should know them well, since he made the map. That is surely a breach in the security even if he is missing your set up :D

@Gaj

BTW a ANZAC WW I remembrance ceremony was done in the north of France this day, like it is done every year, with many relatives from Australia.

No one is forgetting the blood that spilled the earth of these battlefields and the monuments are there to testify of the numerous young men that lost their life