Announcing new, accurate, highly-detailed bocage map & scenario (AARs, please!)

Hi, all.

This is to let folks know about a new H2H-only scenario and QB attack map that I'll be posting to the Repository in the next couple of days--and to ask for AARs for them from the community.

The scenario is called "Under the Eyes of the White Manor" and the QB map, "The White Manor" (same map as the scenario).

These maps were born of a forum discussion on whether or not CMBN accurately depicts bocage fighting. As a result of being part of that thread, I got a bee in my bonnet to depict a very detailed, to-scale, accurate area of Normandy that could serve as a test for this. For the map, I used a modern hamlet so that I could use google street level to get the soldier's view correct.

Originally, I was just going to do a QB map, but decided to add a scenario as well so that players could also have a ready-to-go battle with realistic forces. A big "THANK YOU!" to Jon Sowden for taking the time to do an in-depth review of the map and for giving me extensive, excellent feedback that most certainly improved its playability. Thanks also to him for helping me get the force mix right for the scenario.

The following is a large group of pics from the map, showing real-world vs. in-game views. I have included a great many landmarks (all fictitious) to help with situational awareness and AAR writing. The Repository file will include a large screenshot composite tactical map to serve as play and AAR aid. It will also include the images you see posted here for those that do not see this thread or the ones announcing the maps.

Okay, here are the pics:

(North map edge is partly fictitious to allow for protected Allied setup zone.)

8585718119_05f445677f_h.jpg

8583729104_87a05e93b6_b.jpg

8583729074_6f9de82f0f_b.jpg

8583729080_f1ff192ef2_b.jpg

8582628587_7b71fe6e6d_b.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are crazy Macisle! Superb job!

It'll look even more real with all those texture mods out there.

It's apparent that game does not portray ditches and reefs well but otherwise manages to do a decent job with the overall scenery mimic.

Thanks, guys!

Yeah...I was considering subheading it "An Experiment in Abject Anal-Retentiveness." He-he. If I want to stay married, I won't be doing these too often.

It's not too big at 768 x 1120 meters. However, it feels bigger on the ground. -Lots of places to hide...and ambush from.

Macisle, those are probably the most amazing screenshot comparisons I have ever seen for CM. The attention to detail you possess to make those CM maps look so much like their RL counterparts is simply astonishing and I absolutely appreciate the time and effort that must have gone in to all this.

Well done. I can only hope you are inspired (even paid) to produce more jaw dropping RL based maps like this. I really appreciate this sort of work.

Cheers

Bull

Thanks, Lt. Bull!

I really appreciate your kind words. I definitely got into it. Maybe a little too much. -Learned a lot about the editor, that's for sure.

Three cosmetic things that would make CMBN maps a lot more life-like:

1. Manicured hedges/low bocage.

2. Iron-fencing (like some of the balconies, but on the ground).

3. Potted-plant flavor objects. I know, I know...but think how much nicer Huet House would look!

Hey, I thought "Derelict" was a fine French name! Just kidding. Please forgive me, those in the know on period French names.

Three cosmetic things that would make CMBN maps a lot more life-like:

3. Potted-plant flavor objects. I know, I know...but think how much nicer Huet House would look!

I was thinking the same thing. Charles and Co., can we get some potted plant doo-dads please?

BTW, really nice job with the map. Can't wait to play it.

Oh, I thought he said Pot plants. I was wondering what the hell do we need that for, it isn't like the Western front included San Francisco. :D

(In a Pepé Le Pew voice)

Monsieur, you do not know of zee "Japanese Maple" of Normandy? Eet is not just zee wine zat calmes ze nerves, no?

I would be interested in doing an AAR on the scenario. Any more details on the setup? I.e. force sizes, Attack?

Great!

Well, I don't want to give too much away. It's an American attack, ballpark medium size, 90 minutes. While contact will likely happy quickly, both sides will need to be careful. It's my intent for things to usually end by ceasefire or surrender, rather than the clock running out (for RT players, it might be a good idea to use the editor to increase the time as much as needed).

Though the map is not so big in total meters, it is to scale with the real world map and there are lots of "nooks and crannies" as it were. Also, buildings and doors have been very carefully arranged and the layout of the buildings and their placement in the terrain may alter game play more than players used to QB-style maps expect..

It will be very interesting indeed to see how all the little details add up to shape game play. I just hope I didn't leave any trash cans in the road...