Announcing new, accurate, highly-detailed bocage map & scenario (AARs, please!)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, the file is up!

I can't figure out how to get a medium-sized promo image on the scenario file page, though. It pops up to full size, but there is only a small thumb above the description text.

Oh, well--that's for tomorrow. It's 3 am in my part of the world. Night and if you download it--Enjoy!

In testing the QB version of this map, I just discovered that walls intersecting with buildings do NOT stop infantry from moving between the wall and building! Visually, it looks like infantry can't get through--but they can!

To stop movement, the wall has to actually continue along the building wall as well, rather than just bumping up against the building and stopping.

So, I've fixed the issue where it occurs on the map and submitted an updated file under the name v1.2.

I also just submitted the QB version of the map. It includes the fix as well.

Macisle,

Maybe nobody asks for permission, but is it OK if I borrow some of your little map "nuances" I call them and sort of "paste" ( I wish there was a copy and paste map editor tool) them into my own maps? Like trying to make my lasagna taste like yours? You have so effectively used spices. I try and make a map from scratch, sometimes with some B&W photos at hand, sometimes with just a mental image but as I look at the 3D preview, I get so often frustrated in that I am not getting the look I want. In one map in a campaign I am sluggishly proceeding to complete, I had come up with this little ramping down road alongside a low wall next to a church. I was so proud of how it looked but now I see your map and think this little part isn't so great and maybe actually unrealistic in the way a lower elevation would suddenly be there.

CMNormandy2013-04-0517-40-29-50_zps41f82c21.png

I would just steal some nuances of tile type and elevation combos. Not the entire map.

I will mention your name in the designer's notes, is that OK?

I need a bee in MY bonnet.

So anyone interested in doing the other side of an AAR?

I would be interested. I should mention that I have not played H2H before so I have no idea how to set that up - hopefully you will be able to guide me. I am running on a mac.

Private mail me?

I would be interested. I should mention that I have not played H2H before so I have no idea how to set that up - hopefully you will be able to guide me. I am running on a mac.

Private mail me?

ok, I have managed to set up a drop box account and installed GAJ's H2HH so hopefully I am 95% of the way there in terms of getting set up :)

mjkerner, OK, I went in and tweaked it a bit.

I instead pulled the road the other way. I did not want to pull the low wall towards the church. (by the way, the inspiration for this nuance of wall around a a church with graves and ramping down road, was a mission in gearbox's brothers in arms video game, I think it was Hill 30 anyway they really did a lot of research) CMNormandy2013-04-0619-20-36-71_zps6dbd84c2.png

does it look better?

Macisle, so, can I freely grab some of your spices to make my lasagna more tasty?

does it look better?

Don't try and please other people. Just do what you think looks best.

(FWIW - which isn't much - I think the first one looks better, and would be more tactically interesting.)

Macisle, so, can I freely grab some of your spices to make my lasagna more tasty?

As far as I know, there're no patents on map making techniques. IMO it's an open source, collaborative effort. If you see something you like: take it and use it. Credit it if you feel like it, it's a good and polite practice, but it isn't really necessary. I think that extends all the way up to complete maps - if you play a map and think it's be a good basis for a different scenario: do it. Strip the scenario anything you don't want (forces, objectives, parts of the map, etc), then build it up again into the scenario you want to make.

Mind you, if you're taking the whole map - rather than just elements or techniques - or other major components, that's probably worth crediting in the notes :)

kohlenklau,

Thank you very much for your compliments. They are much appreciated!

Like JonS says, there are no patents on the techniques themselves. I studied other maps to get ideas and understand how the editor works for things like elevations.

However, I'd draw the line at actually taking maps or map pieces without giving credit. So, in other words, if you study my map and copy the style by doing the work yourself in the editor, then that's fine.

But if you actually take someone's map into the editor and use whole pieces of it in your own map, then yes, I would certainly give credit to the original designer.

For getting the 3D look right, I highly recommend using Google Street Level. That's what I did. Like I say in my designer notes, aerial maps only give you a starting point. Things can look VERY different from the ground. So, you might want to find a place on Google Street View that you like and use it as a base for what you are working on.

This was actually my first map. I lucked out and found this great little hamlet almost right away on Google Maps. I could not have produced a map like the one I did without having that real-world 3D view to work from.