Whats your age?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most anonymous polls on wargaming forums yield a much higher average age. Closer to 50.

Yes I would actually expect something like that. Most people interested in millitary history and wargaming seem to be on the upper side of the 50 year mark.. People active on the forums tend to be a bit younger however. It seems that people get recruited into wargaming somewhere between 20's and 30's. Many have also served time in milltary which initiated their interest in tactics and weapon platforms.

Personally I got hooked with wargaming at around 15/16 when I discovered Steel Panthers demo on a magazine CD. From that moment it was all about Steel Panthers until I discovered CMBB. From that point it's been all about CM games. I've tried few others over the years but they never really stuck compared to CM.

From time to time I try to play an operational game but I have so far not found one as immersive as CM has been to me. Maybe it is due to the nature of operational warfare, it's only pieces with numbers on a map and resolving battles usually only shows some numbers. Being on the ground with your pixeltruppen is totally another story. :) You see the result of your decsions more clearly so to say.

So far the average age of a typical CM player is 39.7 years. (676/17)

I'm gonna bump that average up over 40... 58 here. That's a minor miracle considering the way I spent my younger years :D