How do I download 2.0 for free?

I bought combat mission battle for Normandy and commonwealth. The latter expansion (because come on folks that's all it really was)and it was not cheap. Yet your game is unique

but I have never had to pay for a patch with a few minor features. Many of these features should have been in the game to begin with.

I have a lot of games from big and small developers that are indie, digital downloads, strategy, 4x, RPG, wargames, many from matrix games and never have I seen this done. Never have I seen them charge their customers for a few extra features, this is not even a "DLC" and for 10 bucks! come on.

Couldn't you have at least added a few scenarios?

I guess only at battlefront this is done. And you are all so grateful to give your money away for what really is just a patch.

Even the critics in there reviews said of CMFI that the extra features added to the engine didn't make that big a difference to the series.

Would be nice if there were a feature like every war and strategy game out there has where you could hit a hot key to go to specific unit types or squads on the map. (Don't say this isn't needed for real wargamers that's totally irrelevant to the purpose and function of its convenience. For one, it would make keeping an eye on your units a lot easier especially in real time not too mention the the camera is a mess.(yes, fanboy, I know which keys to use to control the camera and yes I am used to it, but lets face it, its still a mess to control.)

Also, I love how we are almost threatened into that fact that "you can only download" a total of what 5 times with no after 365 days! I sometimes wonder it I can reinstall it after so many times and after a year. This is another situation where I never see this happening with other developers big or small. Didn't I pay for it

Does no one in this forum have the balls to mention any of this. You all just pay up and

say how wonderful it is to get a few features. Maybe, there should be a donation day where you pay a certain amount for nothing after buying and owning your BF games.

Nevertheless, CM games 1 and 2 have no competition in the type of strategy, tactical

military sim that they are, no other developer puts such detail and accuracy into their games as BF and perhaps for these reasons CM games are among my favorites.

And I'm not the only one who feels this way apparently and judging by how many

post and thread entries there are in this forum there most be a decent amount of

money made from them. So, do you really need to charge us for this patch?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your solution is simple. On the one hand, if you feel disinclined to pay for the upgrade, then don't buy it. If you feel you absolutely must have it, then cough up the bucks. (I mean...ten bucks? Are you kidding? If you are a smoker, you probably spend that much in a couple of days.) It's your call.

Michael

To all of you who want something for nothing >>

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=107549

Bottom line I already paid for the game. And this is just the kind of response I would expect from Steve.

So you're willing to fork over $10 dollars for almost nothing so you can be part of the CM forum crowd who all did?

Programming is a tedious job and very long and difficult just for some minor things to be added or fixed, but the fact of the matter is you never have to pay for a patch with a few extra features. No where except BF.

Again why didn't they throw in a few scenarios if they were going to charge for it and 10 dollars?

It is far, far more than a patch. It adds new features and upgrades a lot of things behind the scenes. For $10 it is an absolute billy bargain.

By the way, plenty of other companies do this too. Hearts of Iron 3 for one other game that I play regularly, charged a LOT of money for what some people deemed a 'patch'. If memory serves I believe it was almost full price, like $40 or so. But if you bought it you would see that in essence it added a whole lot of new features that changed the game considerably.

Bottom line, if you don't want to pay for an upgrade then don't, but please don't moan about it, not without getting your facts right first ;)

but the fact of the matter is you never have to pay for a patch with a few extra features

The 1.11 patch was free - the 2.0 upgrade with extra features cost $10

Most of the software I use where new features are introduced cost something i.e Photoshop, Quark etc.

Anyway your choice what you do....

Bottom line I already paid for the game.

And you can still play the game you paid for, and it's still great.

So you're willing to fork over $10 dollars for almost nothing so you can be part of the CM forum crowd who all did?

You have the option not to pay. Since you think it's for "almost nothing," what are you missing if you don't?

Programming is a tedious job and very long and difficult just for some minor things to be added or fixed, but the fact of the matter is you never have to pay for a patch with a few extra features. No where except BF.

They used to have programmers who worked for free, but they all starved to death. It's weird how that happened.

Again why didn't they throw in a few scenarios if they were going to charge for it and 10 dollars?

I know where you can get new scenarios for free on the BTS website.

Looking back at the link to steve's thread in defense of making more money I see there is alot, alot of supporters who believe you should pay and that much. Maybe, I should join the herd.

Maybe I'll give them 20 dollars for all the other patches ( really they're not patches).

Yeah, I was waiting for someone to say this. But we want professional stuff.

as for paying for extra features such as in battlefield and photoshop well you just can't compare them to this: these are either new engines, new software and the features they add make it add quite a bit worth paying.

Yeah, I was waiting for someone to say this. But we want professional stuff.

Why do you think they are not professional. I can attest that any scenario that George MC does is very professional and he just released an exceptional one for 2.0.

Looking back at the link to steve's thread in defense of making more money I see there is alot, alot of supporters who believe you should pay and that much. Maybe, I should join the herd.

Dude, it's $10. If you seriously could not afford it, I bet someone here would have bought it for you, before you made an arse of yourself.

I worked on most of these "few extra features". We revamped whole portions of the engine - not bug fixes, but wholesale upgrades. Performance, visuals, and playability have all been significantly improved. Reviewers can say what they want. 2.0 is a significant engine upgrade in a variety of ways that I think most players appreciate. We don't charge for patches that just fix bugs. For a massive engine overhaul I think we're well within our rights.

Now whether you - like the reviewers - value this upgrade is your own call. As others have said, you don't have to buy it.

If the difference between you finding value in our work was whether we "threw in" a few incongruous (it's an upgrade, not a new module with new units and scenarios) extras, then I begin to question your basis for bringing this up.

...Does no one in this forum have the balls to mention any of this...

(snipped and italicized by me)

No, it's just that almost everyone else has the brains to think about it before posting.

I'll give you your FREE patch. Really. I'm about to do you a favor, and show you how giving this community is. I won't even request that you PM me. I'll set it up so you can download your FREE patch from a 3rd party server.

Look up.

Not that far up. Just up to the top of the forum announcements. There! Yes, that's it. The part that says, "Combat Mission Battle for Normandy patch v1.11". Here's the link: http://www.battlefront.com/community/announcement.php?f=124&a=579

Sure, you wanted 2.0 for free. Well, 2.0 is an UPGRADE. v1.11 is a PATCH.

So, there you go, one free patch, from me to you.

Now, you want movable waypoints? Upgrade. And pay for it.

You want...

Ability to assign special uniform types for select units types on a unit by unit basis.

Target Armor Arc Command

Expanded Floating Icon Categories

"Fog of War" Floating Icons

2D Editor Map Overlay

Auto-Assemble Road/Wall/Hedge Tool

Camera Jump to Groups

Target Briefly Command

New Rendering Shaders

Bump and Normal Mapping

Improved Framerates

Pausable Realtime TCP/IP Mode

Well, you've got to PAY. See, the original wasn't broken because it did not include that stuff. So, no patch to "fix" what isn't broken.

Now, I'd like some ice cream - for free. Why can't we have THAT?

Ken

(snipped and italicized by me)

No, it's just that almost everyone else has the brains to think about it before posting.

I'll give you your FREE patch. Really. I'm about to do you a favor, and show you how giving this community is. I won't even request that you PM me. I'll set it up so you can download your FREE patch from a 3rd party server.

Look up.

Not that far up. Just up to the top of the forum announcements. There! Yes, that's it. The part that says, "Combat Mission Battle for Normandy patch v1.11". Here's the link: http://www.battlefront.com/community/announcement.php?f=124&a=579

Sure, you wanted 2.0 for free. Well, 2.0 is an UPGRADE. v1.11 is a PATCH.

So, there you go, one free patch, from me to you.

Now, you want movable waypoints? Upgrade. And pay for it.

You want...

Ability to assign special uniform types for select units types on a unit by unit basis.

Target Armor Arc Command

Expanded Floating Icon Categories

"Fog of War" Floating Icons

2D Editor Map Overlay

Auto-Assemble Road/Wall/Hedge Tool

Camera Jump to Groups

Target Briefly Command

New Rendering Shaders

Bump and Normal Mapping

Improved Framerates

Pausable Realtime TCP/IP Mode

Well, you've got to PAY. See, the original wasn't broken because it did not include that stuff. So, no patch to "fix" what isn't broken.

Now, I'd like some ice cream - for free. Why can't we have THAT?

Ken

Seems that almost everyone here doesn't have the brains to realize that you don't pay for extra features and justify it by calling it an upgrade. No other publisher big or small has the nerve to do this...you my boy keep staying on the side of the angels and moving with the herd.

Batman: that should be me slapping you for going along with the rest here and paying for that "extra" Save your money son!

23 posts in just over two hours. See what you've done. You've unleashed a horde of Barbarians (Civ2 reference?).

There is only one true Wargame and ***** is its prophet.

I think I came out of the last scrap reasonably well, but it's just so tempting to wade back in again.