The complete Eurofacation of CMSF

I am working up a complete transition of CMSF into a European looking mod. There is a ton of work to do. Many of the mods are stolen and I will have to get permission for an overall release. In a nutshell I have all the Soviet and US units in NATO/PACT colors circa 2000. I have woodland camo for the US infantry, for example. The Syrope terrain is being used but some has been toyed with. The US armor and soft units are all in 3-color CARC and the slat armor removed. The latest greatest LAV mod is used. Some units have been detailed and decals added, additions are too numerous to mention. For example cladding was added to the BMP-2. I have dome color matching for most of the Russian units, which will appear green for the time being. The Soviet soldiers are yet to be toyed with. The T-90 and BMP-3 will likely get a camo coating and sometime down the line, many of the Soviet units will get camo. I have worked on this for about a month but I want to release one (1) BRZ file that encompasses the entire Europe mod. Later the other NATO nations will follow.

CMShockForce2012-10-1515-43-24-51.jpg

CMShockForce2012-10-1516-31-37-27.jpg

CMShockForce2012-10-1516-33-51-66.jpg

CMShockForce2012-10-1516-34-02-24.jpg

CMShockForce2012-10-1516-34-10-73.jpg

There are a lot of "Syrope" mods out there. But, I don't think they were comprehensive and featured that many vehicles.

Very exciting to see this developing.

I note that is is circa 2000. Are there insufficient units for earlier date conversion - eg the 80's? (Maybe that's what Syrope was attempting.)

I note that is is circa 2000. Are there insufficient units for earlier date conversion - eg the 80's? (Maybe that's what Syrope was attempting.)

Some thoughts;

The US has only the M2A3/M3A3 for an IFV and No M113. This puts the timeline at least 2000 as conversion of A2 Bradleys’ to A3s began FY00. The Stryker bumps the timeline up to 2002 at least and the MGS 2005. The Soviets could go back to the 1970s but in general for the mix of units 2003-4, is about right. There are a lot of "it would be nice" to have units like the BTR70/80, M113 and BMPs that are upgraded but hey, that's what expansions are for. I just want a total conversion that would pass for a NATO/Russian clash mid-2000s, in a European like landscape.

As it stands now, the US vehicles are done and I am tweaking the Russians. The Russians for the most part are all green. There were several camo schemes around for the Russians but that would take additional time to replicate. I have not touched the BTR, T-90 or BMP-3.

I have the Syrope terrain incorporated and have tweaked some grasses. Not sure what more can be done with trees and buildings for example. I have not really researched terrain completely as far as mods go.

As for the troops, the US units are all in woodland and all the shared packs and gear are changed to match a European deployment. The Russian troops are a different story. I have not taken a close look at infantry mods.

I would be happy to take any suggestions, help and advice from the community.

You won't need the Syrope terrain...you could port the Normandy textures and trees over...and as far as the buildings go?

SUPER quick test...check it out!

testgxj.jpg

That took all of a minute...just think what it would look like with some time put in.

Mord.

You won't need the Syrope terrain...you could port the Normandy textures and trees over...and as far as the buildings go?

SUPER quick test...check it out!

That took all of a minute...just think what it would look like with some time put in

Mord.

Mord, I have not experimented with "porting terrain" but it sounds promising. Right now I am color matching the Russians in their green beasts and super detailing some BMPs. Next is the BTR, BMP-3, T-90 and then Russian infantry.

If you are inclined to research or even work up the terrain, that would be awesome. I will take all the help I can get, especially someone with your expertise.

Pete

Sure. The terrain would probably be a snap...just renaming some files, if needed. I'll take a look at it and see what's what and get back to you.

Mord.

Awesome, I was hoping someone like you would step up and help out. I was going to PM one guy for help and that was you. We can colaborate on this and that would be great. This project is so doable.

Pete

Apparently it's time to finally finish my Flecktarn mod. Wanted to do that anyway, but this TC is even more reason to do it 'cause I've been playing in Syrope right from the beginning... :D

Oh, and you may include it in your TC when it's done. Alos planning on refurbishing at least some of the German vehicles when I find the time.

Awesome, I was hoping someone like you would step up and help out. I was going to PM one guy for help and that was you. We can colaborate on this and that would be great. This project is so doable.

Pete

Appreciate that, man.

Regarding the buildings, though, Mord, since the code is still CMSF, won't guys be able to get up on those slanted roofs? How will that work?

Actually it works out pretty good. Here's a pic of a 4 story building. The guys under the peak are on the roof (second set is on the 4th floor). Only drawback is if you don't have another squad on a lower floor you won't get the transparent building effect. And I imagine you won't have the cover and protection the roof suggests (as far as the game is concerned it may not be there). It's probably gonna be an aesthetic trade off vs game play. I haven't tested it though so I could be wrong. This was just a quick preliminary test to see what would happen as per your question. Not bad as far as I am concerned.

roofkt.jpg

Mord.

Just noticed this thread for the first time. Great project!

What force are you thinking of using for the 2000 era Russian infantry? Syrian airborne troops maybe? I'm assuming body armour became standard for Russian forces after Chechnya, in imitation of Western practice. And they dumped those steel pot helmets even earlier than that, didn't they?

What force are you thinking of using for the 2000 era Russian infantry? Syrian airborne troops maybe? I'm assuming body armour became standard for Russian forces after Chechnya, in imitation of Western practice. And they dumped those steel pot helmets even earlier than that, didn't they?

Great question. I am hoping that someone might step in and take the lead on the Russian troops. I would prefer this be a collaborative project between the more talented, experienced and driven modders in the community. It seems our best chance of completing an excellent finished mod. As it stands there is already a ton of material that has been incorporated. I have compiled all the material I believe is available, except for the Russian voice mod, which I will get too soon.

I have it all in my Z folder and I have to say, it is looking very temperate. Division of labor looks like:

Vehicles (Me): The US ARMY and Marines are complete. The Russian units are complete except for the T-90, BTR and ZSU (which is horrid and will take some serious work).

Terrain (Mord): I use a bastardized Syrope terrain I but Mord is working on importing CMBN terrain. This is an interesting development and Mord is, well Mord!

Sound: ___________________

Infantry: US (me) Russian___________________

Project Lead: Me

I still have yet to compile a single Brz file but that should be easy. I will likely do a play test and some beta releases. I need to also figure out all the mods, I have stolen and give the proper credit to their artists. Safe to say it will be released before CMSF2.

Pete

My own plate is far too full to volunteer for this project (in any case, I know very little about the modern Russian army), but good luck to you!

I never bought the Brits module, so I actually have no idea whether the Syrian Airborne have body armour. If not, the Syrian Special Forces squads might do.

To modernize the Syrian regime mech forces for my Baba Amr scenario, I bought a Guards motor rifle company, took their BMPs and then dismounted the Syrian squaddies, sticking them away in a corner as a Reinforcement group that "arrives" after the scenario (keep in mind they still count for casualty VC btw!). I then bought a Special Forces company, sans jeeps, and stuck them in the BMPs, using Ryujin's mod to put them in camo instead of riot team black.

Voila, updated Syrian mech troops with body armour and less anachronistic helmets (you can always model swap the helmets if you don't like those steel riot gear pots). Mod the faces and voices and you've got Russian infantry squads -- splittable, with organic RPG-29s. No idea how closely that resembles their TOE in 2002, but it's definitely closer than the Syrian regulars.