What ever happened to 'Fionn'?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Spike did a huge amount of testing of CM1 and I believe is still active on other forums. Hope he wasn't banned as well. It would be great to have the sort of comprehensive testing of CM2 that he performed to help improve our play skills.

Some time in 2000 or 2001, anyway before he was banned, he and I carried on an e-mail correspondence for a while. At that time he was serving his internship in a Dublin hospital. He was working long hours, as interns are apt to do, and not getting enough sleep. I think also putting in work on CM was him just demanding too much of himself, and something had to give somewhere. But I hope that things worked out well for him and he has an established practice by now.

Michael

He was around in 2002 and he and Dorosh clashed constantly. Dorosh baited him to the point of psychosis. It was a given that two egos that size could not exist in the same space time continuum...he eventually went super nova.

Mord.

I wondered where Fionn was 8(. Speaking of old timers, anyone know what happened to Claus, or Jeff D ?.

Don't know about the former, but Jeff was playing Theater of War as of a couple years ago. Odd choice for a grog head like himself.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=89981

Old Spike did a huge amount of testing of CM1 and I believe is still active on other forums. Hope he wasn't banned as well. It would be great to have the sort of comprehensive testing of CM2 that he performed to help improve our play skills.

He's was banned on multiple occasions under various aliases.

Erwin,

Poor Old Spike has probably spent more time analyzing CMx1, in terms of how to squeeze the most combat performance from one's forces, than anyone I can think of. He is definitely a leading proponent of the tank fist (massed, and I do mean massed) armored attack which rolls in and kills all before it. Never mind that even the Russians wouldn't operate armor practically tread to tread routinely! I believe his reams of CMx1 studies are still available at TheBlitz.

Vanir Ausf B,

Theater Of War, eh? I believe the code on that one actually permits weapon performance changes, a la Panzer Elite. If so, it might explain the seemingly odd choice. Also, if he's hurting for time, TOW, which has a very active modding community, probably make sense. I believe both he and Claus were on the Panzer Elite Development Group board about a month ago when I popped in after being away for MANY years.

Regards,

John Kettler

I remembered I played Fionn in a CMBO qb on the old chat opponent finder here. Being a dumbass 15 year old at the time, and suitably impressed with Fionns reputation I bought 1 ELITE KT along with Pzgrenadiers to attack his US forces in a small town. He kicked my ass and I dont think the KT killed one tank even.

Pzkpfw1,

I was very active in the PEDG myself--until two fateful things happened. The first was that I encountered a certain exciting animated banner. The second was that my roommate, who had the PC on which Panzer Elite resided, moved out. With the CMBO Beta Demo in hand for my Mac, the die was cast!

As for the PEDG, it's still there. Simply Google "pedg" et voila! The PEDG proper is fourth and is linked internally to the PE Forums, the third entry. No idea why it's this way.

Regards,

John Kettler

Back in the days, when I was cutting my teeth on CMx1, I downloaded some most excellent strategy guides penned by the above.

I would love to do the same for CMx2.

Can we send Delta squad to track him down?

I had a PM discussion with him over at Matrix about a year ago, he had a new name and a new identity but when someone called him Fionn i asked him if he was THE Fionn - for what its worth he was the font of all knowledge on the subject of the game he was playing there too and a fearsome, FEARSOME PBEM opponent

Pzkpfw1,

I was very active in the PEDG myself--until two fateful things happened. The first was that I encountered a certain exciting animated banner. The second was that my roommate, who had the PC on which Panzer Elite resided, moved out. With the CMBO Beta Demo in hand for my Mac, the die was cast!

As for the PEDG, it's still there. Simply Google "pedg" et voila! The PEDG proper is fourth and is linked internally to the PE Forums, the third entry. No idea why it's this way.

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks John i found it, didnt realize it was a mod group. Nice to see all the mods the community made for PE, & PE was still going after all this time.

Regards, John Waters

Gosh, Panzer Elite...

That brings back memories. Countless hours...

Such a great game! I can still hear the voices, "Target spotted! 1000 meters!" Or, "AP up!" Or (IIRC), "No more special AP!"

And that sinking feeling every time M-10s showed up.

I remember Teut. That was my first experience of a dev who spent a lot of time on the forums, helping and interacting with the community. -Very cool guy!

For years, I hoped they would come out with an updated version. Alas, I'm not really up for first-person anymore. Also, CMx2 has so spoiled me on realistic infantry, ATGs, combined arms, etc., that a new PE would have an almost impossible task to satisfy my expectations.

Even tho' it was a first person game, PE was definitely not a shooter... more like what CM would be if you could actually occupy individual tanks and fight em as a crew. The inf in PE was very much an afterthought however, and not done well.

Ok, I see now.

It is nice actually to have a game forum populated by reasonably polite people for a change.

(Mea culpa - I might have been rude to a BFC employee once, under the influence of the demon drink, and for that I sincerely apologize.)

It is nice actually to have a game forum populated by reasonably polite people for a change.

I notice that it has gotten better in that regard in the last couple of years. I don't know if that is just a random fluctuation or a true trend. Maybe the worst offenders have been weeded out, or maybe this particular game attracts a more civil kind of person, or something else entirely is going on. Since I don't spend a lot of time in other places on the web, I don't know if there has been any general trend toward maturation, but I wouldn't expect there to be. I do note that the one usenet newsgroup that I check regularly has mellowed out a lot during the same time period, although it is still energetically argumentative...as it should be.

Michael

He shows up every now and then over at GS until he's re-banned and the circle starts over.

Fionn was a careful student of the Soviet Operational Art of War and for sure a player to be feared as an opponent.

He was also concerned with game mechanics and maybe overly focused on rules.

At the end of the CMx1 area we wanted to have some form of "all-star" tournament (mainly between people leading the different ladders and obvious heavyweights like Fionn), but it wasn't possible. I tried to get it organized and have people agree to a set of rules, but unfortunately I have to say that Fionn's requirements outweighted all the other players' combined concerns and the whole thing bogged down.

By contrast some of the old tournamenthouse.com people could hit heavy regardless of what the rules were as long as they were stated clearly. Some of them refused to move from CMBO or CMBB or CMAK, though.