CMFI new features: actual and needed

The main new feature of the new CMFI engine (that I am noticing) is frequent crashes to desktop which I have never experienced before with previous CM games. I would suggest adding an autosave so that games can be resumed (never needed this before, but often useful).

Also when will CM 2 bring back the limited intelligence and realistic spotting that we enjoyed in CM1...still no sign of what should be realitvely easy to fix. I really am fed up with instantly identifying 100% correctly all enemy guns, vehicles, AFVs and types and organisations of troops at any range across the map, at the first sight of any enemy.

CM Italy Features>

CMx2 Game Engine v2.0 Upgrade features

Gameplay improvements:

- FoW floating icons. FoW floating icons. Instead of getting a general area "?" icon and then immediately progressing to an accurate 3D representation, now there is an inbetween stage where you get a icon that represents the general category of enemy unit and no 3D representation. This tells the player "you know roughly what the unit is, but nothing more specific than that."

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=297&Itemid=507

The crashing issues you're describing are not something that seem to be common. I suggest copying your post over in the Tech Support Forum (or, better yet, send an email directly to BF.C's email support address).

Limited intel is far better in CMx2 than in CM1. Have you read the manual?

Why do we ever need full ID? Rarely do I see a whole squad at one time. Usually I will see 3-4 guys from the squad so why should we even be told that it is a squad. Why not just leave it as infantry spotted whether it be a spotter, an MG, HQ or squad. The FoW icons are usually followed up 10 seconds later with full ID.

Why not just leave it as infantry spotted whether it be a spotter, an MG, HQ or squad. .

Because MGs possess a distinctive sound that differentiate them from rifles. They would be readily identified on the battlefield. At least, once they've opened up.

My principal objection is the game providing the unit affiliation, e.g., '3 Squad'.

A German squad has up to 2 LMGs, so at least with the Germans it would be very difficult to distinguish the 2. With American squads you would be correct. I also hate the unit affiliation info being given, especially when squads are split and it tells you that it is B team, 3rd Squad.

...Also when will CM 2 bring back the limited intelligence and realistic spotting that we enjoyed in CM1...still no sign of what should be relatively easy to fix. I really am fed up with instantly identifying 100% correctly all enemy guns, vehicles, AFVs and types and organisations of troops at any range across the map, at the first sight of any enemy.

You're not alone - see the comments here : http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=104992&page=29

Of course we don't know how hard it is to "fix", although I'm still struggling with why we got full ID in the first place :eek:

Also when will CM 2 bring back the limited intelligence and realistic spotting...

Realistic? Borg spotting was realistic?

I really am fed up with instantly identifying 100% correctly all enemy guns, vehicles, AFVs and types and organisations of troops at any range across the map, at the first sight of any enemy.

Huh? I thought there were generic partial-identity icons in FI. In fact I've seen them in action. What are you talking about?

Huh? I thought there were generic partial-identity icons in FI. In fact I've seen them in action. What are you talking about?

You don't have to wait very long for the FoW Icon to turn into a full ID. Maybe a solution would be to keep the FoW icon but allow it to be clickable and give no further details until you are on top of them

He's talking about knowing that it's the 2nd ATG Ammo Bearer information, not icons.

The partial-id icons are a good thing, but as soon as you actually see a man/vehicle, you still know exactly what it is.

The crashing issues you're describing are not something that seem to be common. I suggest copying your post over in the Tech Support Forum (or, better yet, send an email directly to BF.C's email support address).

Crash to desktop is common enough I think when both of my computers with different hardware configs both suffer CTD with CMFI and not with CMBN/CW :P.

Crash to desktop is common enough I think when both of my computers with different hardware configs both suffer CTD with CMFI and not with CMBN/CW :P.

Still it won't help getting it fixed if the info isn't on the tech forum. At a minimum I'd post your system specs, BF guys can take it from there if there is specific info they want to try and hunt down. I have twice had my system CTD only on the AAR screen and that is after a LOT of testing, popping back and forth from the game to my desktop to report stuff etc. I wouldn't consider it common, but there is something there. What it is and how easy or not it is to correct I think is largely dependent on us getting decent information to BF to allow them to hunt it down. Multiple posts that the problem exists don't do that (this isn't directed at you or anyone else, just a recognition that trouble shooting requires data.)

Sometimes things like that can be a tough nut to crack. I resorted to re-installing Windows 7 on my machine because normal things would no longer work without crashing and I tried everything - drivers, uninstalling a bunch of useless crap, etc and nothing fixed it but the reinstall. Good excuse to pick up an SSD for me. :-) Not saying that you should do that but sometimes its a unique software config on your machine that causes troubles which is why others might not reporting the same issues. I assume you're running Windows.

He's talking about knowing that it's the 2nd ATG Ammo Bearer information, not icons.

The partial-id icons are a good thing, but as soon as you actually see a man/vehicle, you still know exactly what it is.

Yep, we've gone from Borg spotting in CMx1 to Borg ID'ing in CMx2. Ideally we should have relative spotting combined with misidentifying of enemy units and sound contact routines similar to CMx1, although I can see why that's difficult with precision ballistic calculations built into CMx2.

Regards

KR

At least in the instance of Borg Iding it can be semi avoided if you don't click on a unit...not ideal but much better than the Borg spotting issues of CMx2.

Mord.

It can be, but as someone noted to me if you are trying to figure out which of your units has LOS on an enemy unit, the easiet way is to click on the enemy unit. :-( It is a use I find myself taking advantage of a lot. The only way to handle it is to cover the UI in your screen. In a small engagement it isn't really needed but as you move to company size battles and above there really isn't another option. Still I agree. It affects my knowledge, but does not affect my unit capabilities. Borg spotting on the other hand has an impact at the AI level.