Are all open British Tank Commanders summarily executed?

Well, as you probably know, one of the great strengths of BFC is that if you create a test that shows that a TC is as exposed as an in the open infantry man they will have a look at the game. They will act if you can show - with a repeatable test - that something is wrong.

I wasn't bothered, but I'm gonna have to try it now. ;)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay... I did some quick testing, and the results were interesting. Didn't get round to TC vs. infantry, but tried US versus British tanks for vulnerability. Short version is British TCs do appear to be much more vulnerable.

For the test, I set up five firing lanes separated from each other by high berms.

At one end I placed five tanks (all uniform spec., regular, normal, absolutely average) At the other end I placed five squads of fusiliers (all uniform spec.)

To start with I used US M4(Mid) tanks and placed the fusiliers at 600 yards.

I played as Allied, in real time, and used short cover arcs to allow the fusiliers to fire at the tanks without return fire.

At 600 yards the fusiliers did not fire, and the tanks had difficulty spotting them.

Tried again at 500 yards, the fusiliers did not fire, but the tanks spotted them quickly.

At 400 yards, the fusiliers did not fire.

At 300 yards, the fusiliers fired their squad machine gun only.

At 200 yards, the fusiliers fired their squad machine gun only.

At 100 yards, the fusiliers fired all their weapons.

With this in mind I ran the test at 100 yards.

From five run throughs:

First: 1 KIA

Second: 0 KIA

Third: 1 KIA

Fourth: 0 KIA

Fifth: 0 KIA

Next I ran the same test with British Sherman Is (which should be pretty similar to the M4 except for the .50 cal).

First: 3 KIA

Second: 4 KIA

Third: 4 KIA

Fourth: 5 KIA

Fifth: 5 KIA

Well, that wasn't extensive, but it was pretty damn suspicious. Obviously bears more testing (I haven't time tonight) but looks like I was wrong to think that the British TCs aren't more vulnerable - they are, in spades, in mostly identical tanks. Is the HMG providing excellent cover to the US TCs, maybe? I'll do some more tomorrow but hope some of you will give this a look!

I was surprised noone had mentioned exactly that sooner - I think the .50 cal provides a good amount of cover to the US tank commanders - enough that I think it'd catch quite a few bullets - especially to AI that aims at the center of a tank CO's body..

Okay... I did some quick testing, and the results were interesting. Didn't get round to TC vs. infantry, but tried US versus British tanks for vulnerability. Short version is British TCs do appear to be much more vulnerable.

For the test, I set up five firing lanes separated from each other by high berms.

At one end I placed five tanks (all uniform spec., regular, normal, absolutely average) At the other end I placed five squads of fusiliers (all uniform spec.)

To start with I used US M4(Mid) tanks and placed the fusiliers at 600 yards.

I played as Allied, in real time, and used short cover arcs to allow the fusiliers to fire at the tanks without return fire.

At 600 yards the fusiliers did not fire, and the tanks had difficulty spotting them.

Tried again at 500 yards, the fusiliers did not fire, but the tanks spotted them quickly.

At 400 yards, the fusiliers did not fire.

At 300 yards, the fusiliers fired their squad machine gun only.

At 200 yards, the fusiliers fired their squad machine gun only.

At 100 yards, the fusiliers fired all their weapons.

With this in mind I ran the test at 100 yards.

From five run throughs:

First: 1 KIA

Second: 0 KIA

Third: 1 KIA

Fourth: 0 KIA

Fifth: 0 KIA

Next I ran the same test with British Sherman Is (which should be pretty similar to the M4 except for the .50 cal).

First: 3 KIA

Second: 4 KIA

Third: 4 KIA

Fourth: 5 KIA

Fifth: 5 KIA

Well, that wasn't extensive, but it was pretty damn suspicious. Obviously bears more testing (I haven't time tonight) but looks like I was wrong to think that the British TCs aren't more vulnerable - they are, in spades, in mostly identical tanks. Is the HMG providing excellent cover to the US TCs, maybe? I'll do some more tomorrow but hope some of you will give this a look!

Good proof that a American is so much smarter than his British counterpart:)

I wonder if BF models "loudness." by that I mean that tanks on the move are LOUD. I doubt that a TC can even hear the first few rounds zipping by his head over the din of noise. He probably never even hear the shots that kill or wound him. Remember, we are above the ground watching the action, not down in the dirt with the noise.

I ran more tests with some different vehicles:

British Sherman V - from 25 tanks, 17 commanders killed.

Canadian Sherman V - from 25 tanks, 22 commanders killed.

Polish Sherman V - from 25 tanks, 19 commanders killed.

US M4A3(105)(mid) - from 25 tanks, 12 commanders killed.

Compared to these from before:

British Sherman I - from 25 tanks, 21 commanders killed.

US M4(mid) - from 25 tanks, 2 commanders killed. :)

The Commonwealth/Polish tanks have no top MG. The M4A3(105)(mid) has a .50 cal, but it's on a rear mount. The M4(mid) and most other US tanks have a .50cal MG.

These results show that even when the MG is not present, there is still a discrepancy between the Commonwealth/Polish tanks and the US ones.

Looking at the models, the US TCs crouch very low down in the turret (whether or not they have an MG); only their heads are above the edge of the hatch. The CW/Polish TCs stand with more of their upper body above the hatch. This would seem to be enough to explain all the results.

It looks like a fairly straightforward case of needing to have the CW/Polish TCs stand a little lower and show the same caution as their US counterparts... or raise the US ones. ;)

Looking interesting - I think you are on to something.

Can you run those tests four more times and see if things stay the same? I know from experience that the numbers can vary quite a bit from run to run. A while back I did some bogging tests and ran 15 tanks over various ground types. Some runs four or five tanks were immobilized in others runs it was ten or twelve. In the end I ran those 15 tank tests five times and still felt like I should do it more to be sure I had good averages.

Can you run those tests four more times and see if things stay the same? I know from experience that the numbers can vary quite a bit from run to run. A while back I did some bogging tests and ran 15 tanks over various ground types. Some runs four or five tanks were immobilized in others runs it was ten or twelve. In the end I ran those 15 tank tests five times and still felt like I should do it more to be sure I had good averages.

Yes, I hear you. I increased the field to 10 tanks at a time and ran 10 tests for each of three types:

US M4(Mid) - from 100 tanks, 23 commanders killed.

British Sherman I - from 100 tanks, 85 commanders killed.

US M4(105)(Mid) - from 100 tanks, 43 commanders killed.

The M4(Mid) and Sherman I are more or less identical apart from the British tank doesn't have the MG. Both have a split hatch for the commander. The M4(105)(Mid) has a cupola and the MG is moved to the back. (Unfortunately there are no US Shermans that I could find with a split hatch and the MG at the back.)

From looking at the models, the British Sherman II seems to have the commander in a slightly lower position than other British Sherman marks, so I'll try them next.

Clearly those commanders haven't deployed their Mk.IIa*, Mug, Enamelled, Tea, Armoured, 1 Pint. If they were holding that, while peering out of their turret hatches they'd be nearly invincible. Everyone knows that a 1-pint armoured tea mug, when deployed correctly in alternating positions between the chest and face, offers far more protection than a 50-cal HMG.

Don't also forget the lucky cigarette case, beloved by the Commando War Stories and other boys magazines.

"ARGH"

"Crikey Captain! Are you ok?"

"Yes, just a bit winded, luckily that 88mm shell hit my cigarette case. Those Huns are going to pay for this." Have some lead back squareheads, courtesy of my trusted 30cal Browning!"

Dakadakadaka

"Aieee! Argh!" "Gott in himmel, the Tommy is indestructable, our shells just bounce off his mug of tea and breast pocket!"

...and this is starting to bore me, but I said I'd do it so just for the record, looks like Sherman IIs aren't much better:

British Sherman II, from 100 tanks, 80 commanders killed.

Also for the record, I've been using "killed" to mean "there is no commander active in the tank", strictly speaking I guess they could be badly wounded. And I've not taken account of lightly wounded TCs either, which happens occasionally - but as I've not taken account of them in all the tests and as they're not frequent I think we can discount that as the main results are so conclusive.

I've just played an enormous scenario - colossal crack, on Warrior mode. Absolutely stunning battle but I have noticed the AI targetting commanders more and more. I lost quite a few until I started to group all my vehicles and automatically button them as soon as I entered any built up areas. I must admit, although I am losing lots of commanders to small arms I am not seeing any infantry assaults with grenades like I did pre-patch. I realise this isn't anything scientific but it's interesting all the same. What I'm saying is that although commanders are much more vulnerable out of the hatch so to speak the tanks themselves appear less vulnerable in close quarters. I think the commanders to small arms could perhaps be toned down a tad.

Perhaps if all us Brits sent an apology for burning down some obscure building in 1812 the Colonials at BF will stop persecuting our armoured chappies!

LOL I'll have you know that we Canadians take credit for that - yes I know it was members of the British regulars that did the deed. We still try to take credit for it;)