If you could recommend one single book on WW2....

I'm not particular to a theater..

I would like something that is a mix of strategical level with a mix of details and small unit reports so it doesn't feel like I'm just reading a textbook....

Suggestions?

I'm thinking of staring with Stalingrad by Beever?

If you want a picture of the whole war - read Max Hastings latest one. A journey into Hell. It is superb.

I'm not particular to a theater..

I would like something that is a mix of strategical level with a mix of details and small unit reports so it doesn't feel like I'm just reading a textbook....

Suggestions?

I'm thinking of staring with Stalingrad by Beever?

Stalingrad by Beevor is probably the best English book concerning ww2 and the eastern front in particular.

Blixtkrig! 1939-1941 By Niklas Zetterling

as well as April 9th by the same author is among the best historical books written although I've no idea on the availability in English.

If I had to pick just ONE book it'd be Verlorene Siege by von Manstein as it's authentic book written by a man who had a gargantuan insight and influence on the actual battles. He leaves out or covers up some events, deliberately or not, but it's still a pretty interesting read.

A single book. That is an interesting challenge indeed. However I think I have the answer : )

The Historical Encyclopedia of World War 2

Now I admit it is weak on small battles but as an overview to slot everything you read after this it would be great. Europe. Pacific. Economics and lots of maps to place the action. I think I perhaps would be better informed and able to understand WW2 if I had read this 30 years ago. I have a perhaps 50 WW2 battle books but virtually nothing with an overarching view.

Er...one- any one of these three below:

"Bloody Streets: The Soviet Assault on Berlin, April 1945" by A.Stephen Hamilton

"Island Of Fire: The Battle For the Barrikady Gun Factory In Stalingrad November 1942 - February 1943" by Jason Mark (any of the Stalingrad histories by this author are excellent)

"War Without Garlands: Operation Barbarossa 1941-1942" by Robert Kershaw

The first two are out of print, and very expensive it seems. Wish I had bought 2 copies of each.

I agree with Erwin, The Rise and Fall would be the one book.

A point though, it can be listened to.

I downloaded the book to my iPod for free from my library.

(Or you could burn cd's)

The narration was excellent.

It's great for those with commutes of 20 minutes or longer or when doing chores around the house.

Having also read the book I would say listening to it seems to go much quicker.

Rick Atkinson's "An Army at Dawn" and "Day of Battle" are good. He has an excellent writing style that keeps everything interesting. I am also in the middle of Halberstam's "The Coldest Winter," and am enjoying it a lot. Both authors have a similar style of mixing the strategic, operational and tactical actions into their narratives. They also shed lots of light onto the personalities involved, which also makes for interesting reading.

A World at Arms: A Global History of World War II by Gerhard L. Weinberg. Not perfect, but hands down the best overview of the entire war. He turns up such interesting tidbits as the landings on Guadalcanal and subsequent battles for the Solomons may have been the decisive factor in dissuading the Japanese from sending submarines to the western Indian Ocean to attack convoys around the Cape. Welcome to global war.

Michael

I have read many good ones, but “Citizen Soldier” by Stephen Ambrose comes to mind in accounting many facets of the war from the American point of view.

Not saying that you aren't entitled to your opinion, but mine about that book is that it is a complete piece of garbage. Just thought I should go on record with a dissenting opinion.

Michael

I like Beevor (Berlin, Stalingrad, Normandy). But I also enjoy Ambrose, though I think Ambrose does not have many friends on this forum. Why, I don't really now. Not groggy enough maybe :-)

I don't recall the exact discussion, but I think it had to do with him making stuff up (i.e. interviews with Ike, etc).

Er...one- any one of these three below:

"Bloody Streets: The Soviet Assault on Berlin, April 1945" by A.Stephen Hamilton

"Island Of Fire: The Battle For the Barrikady Gun Factory In Stalingrad November 1942 - February 1943" by Jason Mark (any of the Stalingrad histories by this author are excellent)

"War Without Garlands: Operation Barbarossa 1941-1942" by Robert Kershaw

The first two are out of print, and very expensive it seems. Wish I had bought 2 copies of each.

Those sound good. One of my favorites is Martin Blumenson's Breakout and Pursuit -- which is available online along with much of the rest of the US Army's Official History -- most of which is a pretty reveletory read (even the Papua New Guinea campaign has some cool details):

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-E-Breakout/index.html

I'm glad I'm not the first person here to suggest an Ambrose book. I know there's a lot of controversy about him being a bullsh***er but he does write an enjoyable book. D-day, citizen soldiers and Band of brothers are my favourites.

I've never been too interested in trying to find a book covering the entire war as I can't imagine it telling me anything I don't already know

Some other fave ww2 books:

Stalingrad-Beevor

Berlin-Beevor

Crete-Beevor

Road of bones (seige of kohima)-Hugh Strachan?

Arnhem?-Urquart

Im currently reading together we stand by James Holland about North Africa which seems good.

Looking forward to getting hold of some commonwealth in normandy books as mentioned in other thread

For the best one volume work on the eastern front I would say "Ostkrieg: Hitler's War of Extermination in the East" by Stephen Fritz.

The reason I like it so much is because the author, in their own works, sought "to provide a deeper understanding of the complexity and immensity of the Ostkrieg by anchoring the military events of the war within their larger ideological, racial, economic and social context". In short it looks at everything and provides a very good understanding of why the war was fought the way it was. It was not just Hitler was crazy, it explains quite well why Hitler did what he did and how hew viewed things. It also does a good job of demolishing the scape goating of Hitler by generals who at the time agreed with his decisions but after the war rewrote history to blame Hitler for everything (Not that hitler did not make stupid decisions).

Very good work for those who want to catch up on where the historiography of the eastern front is at. Books like Beevors and others still carry on too many cold war era myths, this book is good because it is free of most of them because it uses articles and works written in the past decade. It does have its flaws (like all books do), but it quite readable and quite informative.