Commonwealth any warmer?

For this title its supposed to be Commonwealth, then Market Garden pushing the game into Sept, finishing with a cool vehicle pack. But remember BFC's projects revolve around progressing with the same game engine so they aren't slaves to linear module releases anymore. So the release sequence might be CMBN module / new title / CMBN module / new title module / another new title. The sequence of release might have as much to do with what interests them at the moment as much as anything else. Maybe Steve is reading 'Dune' for bedtime reading and is pressuring Charles to code-up giant sand worm behavior. ;)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My concern with limiting a release to, let's say Market Garden or the Battle of the Bulge is that these cover a subject that is far too short (9 days and about a month respectively) The addition of new unit will be quite limited. The only major new unit you will get will be the Volksgrenadiers with some minor Allied changes. If most major units have already been introduced by the time Commonwealth has been produced then what do I gain from a module covering such a short period?

On the other hand if you did a Siegfried Line module then it would be possible to cover the period September 1944 to January 1945 (end of the Allied counter attacks to eliminate the Bulge. Now we can do Market Garden, Aachen, Hurtgen Forest, Vosges Mountains, Ardennes scenarios in the same module. Plus of course potential for alternate histories, And you could just extend the module to the end of the war which is only another 4 months.

Yes. But what a nine days they were!

Markt Garden does allow for lots of intensive scenarios but by limitindg the game to just one battle we are passing up on an opportunity to do a lot more in the same package like the gaming the entire Siegfried Line campaign which includes Market Garden. Wven if you covered the campaign. If yon untl early 1845 you have 5 months worth of fighting using a range of different terrain and weather conditions If your module extends to the end of the war you can also include the Pershing and Volksturm, Much more worthy of $35 - 40 than an expansion limited to Market Garden considering much of what you want is already there in CMBN and Ciommenwealth.

Markt Garden does allow for lots of intensive scenarios but by limitindg the game to just one battle we are passing up on an opportunity to do a lot more in the same package like the gaming the entire Siegfried Line campaign which includes Market Garden. Wven if you covered the campaign. If yon untl early 1845 you have 5 months worth of fighting using a range of different terrain and weather conditions If your module extends to the end of the war you can also include the Pershing and Volksturm, Much more worthy of $35 - 40 than an expansion limited to Market Garden considering much of what you want is already there in CMBN and Ciommenwealth.

From what Steve has said in the past, the Bulge is going to be the start of a new game series. So think of everything from December 1944 until April 1945 as being in a different game series (Bulge, Rhineland, Ruhr Pocket, Nordwind, etc). Some things that are within the time frame of Market Garden would be ... Canadian campaign in the Sheldt, Americans capturing the port of Brest, the channel ports, and fighting around Aachen etc. Sorting everything out so that there is enough of a separation in content between releases will be the tricky part of course. I'm sure that Steve has a master plan for all that though :D.

My concern with a new game series covering the rest of the NW European campaign after summer 1944, say Septmber 1944 to May 1945 is essentiallly reinventing the wheel since most of what you woould want would already be available in Normandy and Commonwealth. On this route you would need to add some late campaign orbats, winter weather, Dutch and German buildings and vehicles thjat only saw service late on such as the Pershing.

I would certainly buy an add on moduke covering the later campaign as a whole but less likel to go for something that does something as shrt as Market Garden or the Bukge.

As far as new series of CM games are concerned I would definately be interested in a Med series split into Western Desert and Italy. Or a Russian Front series. Perhaps an Early Blitzkrieg game allowing Polish, Norwegian, French and Balkans campaign. The Pacific might be nice but not enough tank combat.

From what Steve has said in the past, the Bulge is going to be the start of a new game series. So think of everything from December 1944 until April 1945 as being in a different game series (Bulge, Rhineland, Ruhr Pocket, Nordwind, etc). Some things that are within the time frame of Market Garden would be ... Canadian campaign in the Sheldt, Americans capturing the port of Brest, the channel ports, and fighting around Aachen etc. Sorting everything out so that there is enough of a separation in content between releases will be the tricky part of course. I'm sure that Steve has a master plan for all that though :D.

Yeah, there is a bit of tricky overlap, as the Market-Garden date brings you into the initial battles all along the West Wall, but the terrain and art needed for those overlaps more with the Battle for the Bulge. I kinda suspect we will see a lot of West Wall content (Ardenne/Hurtgen forests, more fortifications, German towns, industrial buildings etc., fall/winter textures) held for the Bulge, but that both titles will have some date overlap.

Are there no new infantry models (smock uniforms) for the Germans?

The screen shots provided aren't clear as they seem to depict the stock uniform. Not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination, but it would be a disappointing omission- particularly as this is what the module system was set up for.

Yeah, there is a bit of tricky overlap, as the Market-Garden date brings you into the initial battles all along the West Wall, but the terrain and art needed for those overlaps more with the Battle for the Bulge. I kinda suspect we will see a lot of West Wall content (Ardenne/Hurtgen forests, more fortifications, German towns, industrial buildings etc., fall/winter textures) held for the Bulge, but that both titles will have some date overlap.

iUt may be that Market Garden is actually a misleading title. To most of us, and probably most Brits Market Garden is a specifc operation - the Battle for Arnem, the US Airborne drops and XXX Corp's push up the Airborne Corridor. This is what I mean by too limited.

If, in fact the intent is to cover the earlier West \Wall Battles and do the Bulge as a seperate game (maybe to thwe end of the war) then perhaps Siegfried Line would be a better title and the game should cover September, October and November 1944. Maybe the first fortnight of December finishing just before the Bulge. If there were options for specific German buildings included, grat. If not I can live with the French buildings, As for weather I think rain and mud was more of a feature of the Siegfried Line battles with snow really coming in towards the end of November. If a snow option is included then, again great, but I could live without it/

As far as new series of CM games are concerned I would definately be interested in a Med series split into Western Desert and Italy. Or a Russian Front series. Perhaps an Early Blitzkrieg game allowing Polish, Norwegian, French and Balkans campaign. The Pacific might be nice but not enough tank combat.

For those clamoring for US/Jap action the battles in the Huertgen Forest should resemble the Pacific theater; dense, near impenetrable terrain, limited AFV activity and atrocious weather. Not sure in which module they'll appear however.

Are there no new infantry models (smock uniforms) for the Germans?

The screen shots provided aren't clear as they seem to depict the stock uniform. Not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination, but it would be a disappointing omission- particularly as this is what the module system was set up for.

Could be wrong, but these Red Devils look like they're wearing some kind of smock, or anyway something a tad baggier than the regular tunic.

screenshot012.jpg

And if the basic wireframe indeed exists, then it's a good bet the SS have them too....

For those clamoring for US/Jap action the battles in the Huertgen Forest should resemble the Pacific theater; dense, near impenetrable terrain, limited AFV activity and atrocious weather. Not sure in which module they'll appear however.

HUm I would dissagrea, there is not only hurgten forest, but also Rhineland battle, wich is to me quite more important than Hurgten

Wich have similar kind of terrain. But also the breack through the last remant of the siegried line,towns and open terrain. There is even later on some airborne operation to cross the rhine. there is also german armored div. fighting aka 116th panzer div. fallishmjagers, wermatch, cdn, brits and americans. What do you want more? I think it's an awsome end of war teather for the west front! The real german last stand on the west.

veritable2.gif

P.S. Siegfried line did exist in early 1940s no?

They almost dismentle it later to build the atlantikwall, but in 1945, they used the remenant of it, to try to build the last defensive line before the allied breakthrough in the heart of germany. Atleast that's what I've understand so far

P.S. I'm stoke for the commonwealth breaking through the pak defesive line will be a tought nut!

Well, since you ask, improved spelling would help.

Sorry for the spelling! English is not my first language! I'm quite bad at writing.

Secondly, I think I get it.

Siegfried line (axis name) was called Hindenburg line (allied name) in WW1 while

Westwall (axis name) was call siegfried line (allied name) in WW2.

Got it, you wrote the answer while I was writing down my!

Thanks for the info guys!