First impressions

ZPB II

Report your findings on this new NATO thing!

Spent quite some time playing today, some observations...Gebirgsjägers are tough as nails, Leopard 1s suck, Canadian AT is weak, Wiesel loses head on versus a Shilka...So many new fun matchups :D

Anyone find urban combat different with the new area fire?

Great stuff. Which army is your favourite?

SPOILERS

I was playing the NATO Alamo mission as Germans and had my Leopard fire three direct frontal hits into a Shilka without any apparent damage. The Shilka is based on, what, a PT-76 chassis? It should have been brewed first round. It immobilized two Leopards before it finally succumbed. Seems wrong, somehow. This was at less than 100 meters range!

I admit I've mostly played Shilka in CM:Afghanistan but I assume the two versions have near identical stats (the two Shilkas were made by entirely different teams). The Afghanistan Shilka is a monster but a HMG cuts through it like swiss cheese from 900m, often spooking the crew into abandoning their still functioning vehicle. Sounds like you were just unlucky. :)

Wow!

Such a wide array of vehicles to choose from now. The Wolf is fast! <Need bigger maps :) >

Screams for new European terrain, building mods, and Russian/Slavic names/languages.

Thank you!

And for the record, I'm not normally a WWII guy, but I'll be pre-ordering CM:N :)

Just tried one of the German scenarios and am really excited with the 'feel' of the German forces.

I guess it will take a couple of hours of playing to get to know all the new toys.

Having SIX different western forces to choose from in the unit editor is just awesome.

As I dont really have any time to play I just started up a single scenario, which turned out to be a H2H between German & Dutch VS Canadians & USA.

As a dutchie obviously I took the Dutch & German forces. One detail that got my eye: I expected the CV9035 to be better armored than the Marder, but according to the statistics this is not the case.

Anyhow, the 35/50 gun of the CV9035 is a really nice gun. It owns Strykers and LAV's bigtime :)

As I dont really have any time to play I just started up a single scenario, which turned out to be a H2H between German & Dutch VS Canadians & USA.

As a dutchie obviously I took the Dutch & German forces. One detail that got my eye: I expected the CV9035 to be better armored than the Marder, but according to the statistics this is not the case.

Anyhow, the 35/50 gun of the CV9035 is a really nice gun. It owns Strykers and LAV's bigtime :)

Whats the story with that scenario.

Has the AI been tweaked at all? Is that even possible? I'm playing the first NATO scenario as red this time round, after having won it as blue. The AI is being much more cautious that normal - and is keeping most of his AFV's back and out of the way. I'm watching the AI flank too, on both left and right sides. He's using one AFV on either side covered by infantry. It's a real challenge and I'm loving it.

Has the AI been tweaked at all? Is that even possible? I'm playing the first NATO scenario as red this time round, after having won it as blue. The AI is being much more cautious that normal - and is keeping most of his AFV's back and out of the way. I'm watching the AI flank too, on both left and right sides. He's using one AFV on either side covered by infantry. It's a real challenge and I'm loving it.

Nope, that's just scenario designers with more experience getting the AI to do what they want it to do.

Normal Dude says:

Nope, that's just scenario designers with more experience...

I've said this before, new equipment is a small part of the modules. You basegame-only players are missing a lot of seriously great scenarios in the modules. Each batch of scenarios is better than the last. :D

Ive started the dutch campaign too. Halfway through the first mission, that took me about 6 hours lol. No casualties so far though, well I got a bit brave with my fennek and id saved the turn before i pressed go so I just quit then ; )

Started up a lot of the stock scenarios, none of them really appealed tbh, generally the mix of forces on offer is either too big (I need a new PC so i can run them not on fastest 3d model quality with decent FPS) or the mix of forces on offer doesn't look that appealing, perhaps once Ive done the campaigns (which the forces do seem appealing, but the maps are quite big) they may appeal more

Force selection nonsense aside, the new QB maps and missions seem much improved.

All maps were revised.

Attack/Defend Maps: AI Attacker has been given a series of orders to push the Human completely off the objectives. The AI Defender has a variable timed counter attack order which allows the AI to attempt to reinforce or retake lost objectives.

Meeting Engagement AI pathing was redesigned to better approach and stage final attacks on objectives.

AI Artillery preset orders are in use for all maps but with settings to allow for possible AI strikes later in the game.

Ive started the dutch campaign too. Halfway through the first mission, that took me about 6 hours lol. No casualties so far though, well I got a bit brave with my fennek and id saved the turn before i pressed go so I just quit then ; )

Started up a lot of the stock scenarios, none of them really appealed tbh, generally the mix of forces on offer is either too big (I need a new PC so i can run them not on fastest 3d model quality with decent FPS) or the mix of forces on offer doesn't look that appealing, perhaps once Ive done the campaigns (which the forces do seem appealing, but the maps are quite big) they may appeal more

Funny how people are different...I have always prefered the single scenarios to the campaigns...also I have booted lots of scenarios up and haven't liked the look of the forces only to play them and find the scenario designer made a work of art...so don't be to quick to write them off..

Just started the Canadian campaign, I like the amount of detail in tjre campaign and mission briefing but am not sure if I like seeing the campaign tree, authors and points there. But appriciate PaperTiger and MikeyD getting credit.

Definatley a different feel with the unit selection (+).

All maps were revised.

Attack/Defend Maps: AI Attacker has been given a series of orders to push the Human completely off the objectives. The AI Defender has a variable timed counter attack order which allows the AI to attempt to reinforce or retake lost objectives.

Meeting Engagement AI pathing was redesigned to better approach and stage final attacks on objectives.

AI Artillery preset orders are in use for all maps but with settings to allow for possible AI strikes later in the game.

I'm foaming at the mouth, sounds absolutely awesome.

Thanks BF, great module.

GOOD

The "AI" arty better / deadly, i had almost a creeping barrage (was hidden spotter) chase a platoon until it had decimated most of it, ouch!

Shilka eats light armour (found out the hard way)

Had bogged lavIII, wheels spin (nice touch) but got out (bailed out troops-to lighten load-dont know if load is modelled but it worked)

POOR

I had had some weird experiences with "TOW" on the wiesels, fired 2 TOWs downhill at an AT-14 (3/4klick approx) both hit the dirt well short of the mark. (maybe bad luck) it then returned fire hit one wiesel and the blast knocked out two others that were a fair distance away. (Was ATGM weapon blast radius altered? - could it have exploded the ammo on the wiesel in one explosion? - or is it just the same kickass ATGM as in the last module)