Thank You For This Game!

I don't usually take the time to do something like this, but I just finished the battle "Chaos at Ferme Diedenhove" and I have to say it was the most enjoyable scenario that I have ever played in this series - and I like this series a lot. I don't know who the scenario creator was, but you captured more than just history in this scenario, you seemed to truly get the feeling of the "Battle of the Bulge" - the U.S. Army's largest battle (speaking as someone who as has spent a lot of time reading about the battle and touring the Ardennes battlefield). Naturally, all of the scenario creator's efforts would have not been possible without the developers, who stuck with this series to create an extraordinarily great tactical game of World War II. Outstanding job all around!

Edited by BluecherForward
clarification

Yes, I played the Germans, although I am thinking about playing it again as the Americans (both sides have some great equipment to play around with). The scenario will feed you units at different start points - I did not play the units where they arrived, but moved them (while still in the rear zone) to fit my own scheme of maneuver and it worked great. Hope you enjoy this scenario.

20 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Always good to hear a recommendation.  Took a look at the scenario and it looks interesting.  Germans are attacking so am assuming that is the side to play - there is no info in the scenario info list.

Yes, I played the Germans, although I am thinking about playing it again as the Americans (both sides have some great equipment to play around with). The scenario will feed you units at different start points - I did not play the units where they arrived, but moved them (while still in the rear zone) to fit my own scheme of maneuver and it worked great. Hope you enjoy this scenario.

2 hours ago, BluecherForward said:

I don't usually take the time to do something like this, but I just finished the battle "Chaos at Ferme Diedenhove" and I have to say it was the most enjoyable scenario that I have ever played in this series - and I like this series a lot. I don't know who the scenario creator was, but you captured more than just history in this scenario, you seemed to truly get the feeling of the "Battle of the Bulge" - the U.S. Army's largest battle (speaking as someone who as has spent a lot of time reading about the battle and touring the Ardennes battlefield). Naturally, all of the scenario creator's efforts would have not been possible without the developers, who stuck with this series to create an extraordinarily great tactical game of World War II. Outstanding job all around!

"Bluecher in the Woods" (ref; Movie, Waterloo, 1970)...Ok, so you came out of the woods to finally give praise to this extraordinary Tactical Game Series :-) 

1 hour ago, JoMc67 said:

"Bluecher in the Woods" (ref; Movie, Waterloo, 1970)...Ok, so you came out of the woods to finally give praise to this extraordinary Tactical Game Series :-) 

Haven't seen the movie, but you have definitely perked my interest. With regard to coming out of the woods as it relates to this excellent scenario, I think this shot says it all. Cheers!

Image result for panzer im angriff

11 hours ago, danfrodo said:

Great movie, Waterloo 1970. I couldn't find it streaming then found a nice version on youtube for free.  

I enjoyed it as a kid. But, the last time I saw it I thought "What a load of Anglo-centric garbage". I'd rather get thrashed playing CM, than watch it again.

Oh, it's very Anglo-biased.  But the battle!  On the actual Waterloo fields/hills, with thousands of extras in uniform.  That's what I liked.  Hougomont (sp?), La Haye Saint, right there on the screen, swarming w soldiers -- looks like a CM-Waterloo battle.

Anyone read Bernard Cornwell's Waterloo history book (not the historical fiction Sharpe's Waterloo)?  One of the best military history books I've ever read, so very very well done (well, not read, I did audio version).

But back to this post: just when I think I'm getting a little burned out on game after some tough battles (Nijmegen campaign) I am playing My Honor is Loyalty as Brits (CMBN) for first time.  What an epic battle.  I hate panther tanks, hates hates hates them.

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2020 at 3:06 PM, danfrodo said:

Oh, it's very Anglo-biased.  But the battle!  On the actual Waterloo fields/hills, with thousands of extras in uniform.  That's what I liked.  Hougomont (sp?), La Haye Saint, right there on the screen, 

It was filmed in Ukraine, albeit a stunningly landscaped part, courtesy of the Red Army.

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

It was filmed in Ukraine, albeit a stunningly landscaped part, courtesy of the Red Army.

Yep, and the actual landscape is quite different. I visited the 200 Years reenactment on the Waterloo battlefield in 2015. @danfrodo   If you guys want, I can give you access to my Dropbox with hundreds of pic‘s.

On 3/10/2020 at 12:26 PM, BluecherForward said:

I think it is @Jaws

Edited by sburke

8 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

well, now you've ruined it for m, ha ha!  The layout seemed right so I assumed it was the actual location.  Oh well, it still had a great battle sequence, the thousands of extras that today would be CG

I'd like to ask for some advice about this mission.

I just finished it and got a total victory, so it's not that I can't win it.

The thing I would like to ask about is if there is any intelligent way to use the Puma heavy scout vehicles at the beginning of the mission, other than just send them forward until they get blown up? Any way I can use them to actually gain intel without losing them?

In my playthrough, the only info they gave me was that the main road was covered with AT guns.. which was frankly no surprise :)

Not particular to this scenario, but...

Vehicles like the Puma and its brethren are not scouts.  They are long range recon units built to feel out larger scale enemy locations and report to higher level HQ for more operational decision-making.  In CM, they are typically not used at the right scale.  Not to say they can't be useful as a base of fire for infantry units.  But sending them down the road as scouts is a very quick way to end their little virtual lives.

Where the Puma shines is on long range recon patrols supporting other more lightly armed ACs and HTs.  The best scenarios for the Puma is as part of a larger recon force tasked with penetrating an enemy's recon screen or creating a screen against enemy recon units.   Again, not saying they were never used in a pinch in a desperate straight up fight, but units like that are too valuable to throw away unless absolutely needed.

Also, IIRC, the Puma and the 234 family had a special muffler system that dropped its engine noise to barely a whisper.  Not sure if CM models that.

The other issue is one already discussed a lot.  CM maps are smaller and tend to put the player's forces within shooting distance of the enemy main line with limited time to wait for scouts to step forward and just listen.  I don't mean drive down the road and get shot at.  I mean send two guys on foot forward as an OP just to listen for activity without being spotted.  Might take 2-4 hours if you're lucky.  Instead of giving the player time to to that, it might take the form of some more detailed pre-scenario intelligence that can get as specific as  "we think there is an AT gun in that clump of trees next to the farm on that road."   Doesn't have to be accurate.  There can be false positives or MisIDs in the mix as well.  I don't see a lot of designers take advantage of that.

1 hour ago, Thewood1 said:

CM maps are smaller and tend to put the player's forces within shooting distance of the enemy main line with limited time to wait for scouts to step forward and just listen.  I don't mean drive down the road and get shot at.  I mean send two guys on foot forward as an OP just to listen for activity without being spotted. 

Yes, this is what makes vehicular recon irrelevant on most CM maps.  Only on the largest/hugest maps is recon by vehicle practical and not suicidal.  This is an item where CM1 was superior as one could have a 8Kmx4Km map (in CMAK) with Regiments on each side and be playable. 

The other issue is that many (not all) designers create time crunch issues so that one does not have time to do a careful recon.  It may be that many players don't have the patience for that and want to get into action asap.

Edited by Erwin