After the next 2 modules?

8 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

It is 12 years old now, CM1 was done after 8 years.

CMx2 has been far more fruitful than CMx1, with six game families plus a bunch of modules with more coming compared to three games and no modules for the earlier version. What's more, CMx2 represents a more mature game engine. I too would like to see the game move on to CMx3 if that will open up new possibilities that can only be imagined now, but I have no idea how much work that will take or whether the existing crew can pull it off.

Michael

"CMx2 has been far more fruitful than CMx1"

I do agree that CM2 is a better game, but this is an odd argument.  While CM1 had only three games, from a coverage standpoint, each game covered a heck of a lot more than CM2 game and module equivalents.  It took maybe a two full games and 4 modules, and eight years to get the scope of CMBO out of CM2.  And even then, CMBN and CMFB only go to early 1945.  ANd CMAK covered from 1940 to 1945.  CMFI right now covers about a year.  Its no contest on how much broader CMBB was than CMRT, even in CMRT's final plan that is probably a couple years from now.

So granted that CM2 is a better game in general and has had a couple modern warfare versions, its taking a decade to get where we are, and even then, it hasn't managed to match the scope of CM1 in WW2.  I would still take CM2 over CM1, but the scope isn't really that close.

4 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

true , but CM1 is nowhere close to CM2 in the intricacy and depth of gameplay , details, such as scope of vehicle selection or building height and variation, to mention a few

But that has nothing to do with the argument that was presented.  I agree with you, but in breadth, and at the pace of development we currently see, it might be another 10 years to match CM1 for WW2's scope.

I would assume that there will be at least 4 modules, CMFI ('Rome to Victory'), CMRT, CMBS and CMFB before the CM2 family is finished. There's a possibility that Battlefront could release 'Battle Packs' (scenarios and campaigns), 'Vehicle Packs' (just vehicles and no scenarios/campaigns) and possibly even modules with a new force/country (and maybe minimal scenarios/campaigns) for CM2. These could be done while CM3 is initially available, but it may be dependent on demand and how well a particular game family has already sold.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

6 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

But that has nothing to do with the argument that was presented.  I agree with you, but in breadth, and at the pace of development we currently see, it might be another 10 years to match CM1 for WW2's scope.

What if they're already developing CM3?

Edited by Ales Dvorak

27 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

That has been my assumption for a couple of years now. Maybe not on the front burner yet, but in the odd moments when nothing else is demanding immediate attention and the spirit moves them.

Michael

Or the other way around. The CMRT module is mainly outsourced, made by another group of people, as Steve himself told us. I wouldn't be surprised if the same goes for the CMFI module. It would explain the endless delay and would actually be a smart business move to get out of the present situation in which progress is very, very slow.

Edited by Aragorn2002

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Or the other way around. The CMRT module is mainly outsourced, made by another group of people, as Steve himself told us. I wouldn't be surprised if the same goes for the CMFI module. It would explain the endless delay and would actually be a smart business move to get out of the present situation in which progress is very, very slow.

I would bet that it is the problem with the AI behavior and not the outsourcing of the modules that is causing these endless delays...

It's difficult to playtest a scenario if you do not have a working/finished gameengine to test them on...

7 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

I would assume that there will be at least 4 modules, CMFI ('Rome to Victory'), CMRT, CMBS and CMFB before the CM2 family is finished. There's a possibility that Battlefront could release 'Battle Packs' (scenarios and campaigns), 'Vehicle Packs' (just vehicles and no scenarios/campaigns) and possibly even modules with a new force/country (and maybe minimal scenarios/campaigns) for CM2. These could be done while CM3 is initially available, but it may be dependent on demand and how well a particular game family has already sold.

Think about this statement and then apply the knowledge of how long its taking to get a single module out.  We are back to a pace of a module every couple years.  I have a hard time believing we will be getting even half of what is listed here in three to four years.  Frankly, I would love for BFC to switch emphasis to Vehicle Packs and Battle Packs.  And to put them out more frequently.  But alas, it'll be years of visiting the forum once every couple weeks to see if anything has moved.  The forlorn hope.

4 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Incorrect. It's the same group of people that have made everything else CM on your HD.

It is the same method that BFC have used for as long as I have been doing this (since 2001)- they do the code and OOB stuff and tell us what is and isn't possible on that basis (with other input and content where needed), they also do the majority of the art work. One person heads up organizing the campaigns, scenario list, maps, etc.. That's me this go around for RT- the guy that made half of the giant CM master maps on your HD since CM:MG and the subsequent WWII titles. The guy that did a fair number of campaigns and scenarios since GL for all modules. I know the drill.

This is not an outside job, nor is the CMFI module. Other testers are kicking things in as well, as always. So the trend you have seen in CM:FB will continue as far as number of areas mapped, quality of content, etc..

*The notion that bugs cause delays is a given* I can't believe I wasted internet ink typing that. Obviously true, and unfortunate- even with a genius behind the wheel of said code.

We are indeed on that RT module. And then some. When it comes time when things are in properly vetted visual shape, BFC will be throwing bones.