Ideas that could make CM titles any better!

Pike

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see Inf animations improved..maybe abit more variety and the walking and hunting animation looked at. Also be able to set formations. Things catching fire and fire soreading. Really that's about it for me. Oh and maybe an award\medal feature for campaigns.

Better ruins, where (some) walls stay standing around a ruined lot.

Oh, and collapsed buildings generally killing all occupants except in very rare cases. I find it silly to encounter squads happily firing away from the pile of rubble that used to be the house they defended.

Edited by Bulletpoint

1. How about dead bodies in trucks etc, don't magically disappear, but remain just like corpses on the ground.

2. Better animations/damage model effects for flame weapons, right now these weapons are so unconvincing.

3. Better damage models for buildings, like shell holes in walls instead of entire wall sections disappearing when enough damage has been dealt to them.

There was a thread where someone mentioned that troops are over exposed in foxholes and trenches. Any truth to that or is it just a perception?

My personal opinion is that yes, troops are too exposed in trenches and foxholes. Half their body is above ground.

In real life, the attacker would often have to get close enough to hand grenade each foxhole to clear it out, or use flamethrowers.

In the game, you just need to get to some reasonable cover within a couple hundred metres and then let your troops sit there and shoot the enemy when they pop up, like whack-a-mole... eventually the enemy will flee, leaving the safety of their foxholes to run across the open ground and get shot down.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Better ruins, where (some) walls stay standing around a ruined lot.

Oh, and collapsed buildings generally killing all occupants except in very rare cases. I find it silly to encounter squads happily firing away from the pile of rubble that used to be the house they defended.

+1

and better ruins from independent buildings. The ones we have now are ....ugly...and there´s some shading problems with the walls.

To anyone complaining about how visible foxholes and trenches are:

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=1107

Get that mod, it works! Often times I won't notice foxholes unless I'm right on top of them.

Umlauts mod is quite useful and does its purpose well. I use it for most my games, unless for mission design when I use my own mod that makes the sandbags invisible, as well as burying FH and trenches into -1m ditches.

RHZ YEG 4 Trenches.jpg

Commanding in CM can be tedious.  I have always wondered if the system could be modified to handle formation commands.  It would be nice to be able to double click on a rifle platoon, select a platoon formation (wedge, vee, line, column, etc), set the HQ waypoints and then have the squads maintain formation.

You probably know this, but I believe his contention is troops in the foxholes are too exposed, not that the foxholes are too visible.

Yes, that is my humble opinion. But foxholes still have use against artillery, it's a pity not more attack/defense scenarios use them, especially for multiplayer where you often have to play pre-planned artillery mind games against your opponent.

I think they should be extremely common in any scenario where the defender has had just a bit of time to prepare (unless it's hard frost maybe).

Edited by Bulletpoint

Killing them all might be a little extreme, but they should be wounded or at least too stunned to be effective for several minutes.

Michael

Umlauts mod is quite useful and does its purpose well. I use it for most my games, unless for mission design when I use my own mod that makes the sandbags invisible, as well as burying FH and trenches into -1m ditches.

RHZ YEG 4 Trenches.jpg

Looks great! Any chance you might share your mod and a scenario that uses it?

Looks great! Any chance you might share your mod and a scenario that uses it?

Thanks! The full CMBN mission package (mission and tagged mods) will be uploaded next week at SDIII. If you´d like to try the CMBN invisible sandbags mod, grab it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjiy5n9j6xu5u5g/sandbags.rar?dl=0

It´s basically just an opaque alpha layer. The sandbags (protection) geometry is still there and the overall effect is with this trenches placed in -1m ditches (CTRL+Click), that there´s slightly less exposure for units in there (added protection from terrain mesh). Off course this mod and terrain alteration combo is worse with regard to FOW than original, but I play mostly vs the AIP and the AIP doesn´t care.

I would like to see men from the same platoon able to join the crew from another gun or mortar. In a previous H2H match, had one AT gun crew have all but one member killed and another AT gun was destroyed with a couple of crew killed. Both AT guns were from the same platoon and the while mostly whole crew was willing to buddy aid the mostly dead crew and give ammo to the mostly dead crew, they would not help him operate his AT gun. 

I would also like to see vehicle crews operate able to use any similar type of vehicle. As an example the crew of 1st platoon Sherman tank #2 able to use 1st platoon Sherman tank #4.

I think if you just streamlined all the titles into one .exe it would be a big boost.I am currently play FI BN RT and BS about 15 games and i have to load the exe every time i want to load a different multiplayer game. even streamlining modern and ww2 ere into theyre own exe would be welcome.

Other than that i would like a raking fire feature and to be able to fire into concealment. just because you cant see them doesnt mean they didnt shoot at area targets. big example of this is crops like grain, wheat doesnt stop bullets nor do bushes. i cant count the numbr of times i couldnt do anything about a guy shooting at me because of some LoS caused by concealment. Real world we would "cut" that crop down.

I dont know if it is a feature tbh but burning fields and wooded areas with flamthrowers to defoliate and flush out troops would be cool too.