The Battle of La Ferme Dupont - A CAAR

LOL. :D You figured out my handle. In the 1980s that was the nomenclature for an Intelligence Analyst, E-5, Airborne. My icon is the crest of the 313 Military Intelligence Battalion / 82 Airborne Division. I worked in the Division G2. Interesting, exciting stuff to do when your young. Nice attention to detail figuring out that jumble of letters & numbers.

Enough reminiscing. You have work to do! More CAARs! :)

I just got together with a friend who was a military attaché in a number of assignments. We share some hobbies but he really got excited when I showed him Combat Mission. Frankly, the two biggest endorsements this series of games had were:

-that the primary age group is the same as mine. Nothing against younger folk, not at all, but interests and desires change as we go through life and I like the humour and knowledge that I see here. I speak in generalties here and there are always exceptions to every rule. No offence intended to anyone.

-that so many people who enjoy this game come from a military background. It speaks volumes to how effective it is as providing a reasonable simulation of tactical combat in the eras represented in the game.

Making contact with reasoned, seasoned, good natured people here has had a big influence on my enjoyment of the game. So thank you for your comments and support. Hopefully I'll have a new convert got the cult of CM :D and a new CAAR for you to enjoy. :)

Edited by Bud_B

This is always the most interesting part of an AAR for me; the break down and self-critique. No. 1 reason to play CM: Its good mental floss. The entire AAR was great to follow and read, thanks for doing it.

I agree with the mortar assessment, I love IGs but its not something I would reinforce a Zug with unless it was for zone defense and in a prepared position.

Surest thing to take out enemies behind a hedge is indirect fire, you'd be surprised how much of a beating you can take; my latest match saw a local counterattack by my opponent; about half a platoon supported by a Stummel. He ran into a blocking force behind low bocage and couldn't dislodge them despite sustained howitzer fire, only a handful of men lightly wounded.

On that note, I just want to point out how rare it is for me to see a German rifle platoon actually sustain more casualties than a "defender" in a victory.

Thanks, Rinaldi! I'm very happy you find it interesting! It was my pleasure to do it.

Analysis after a battle is important. Sometimes it's very hard to see what one could do different. I've experiences moments of sheer despair in playing CMBS as the Russians against a U.S. opponent in several battles, but even as I've been slaughtered I've found ideas do what I might do different even as I felt it was utterly hopeless. Live and learn.

My own experience behind hedgerows surprised me in other battles - I felt safer than I was, taken out by direct MG and rifle fire, and expected the same here, yet it was not to be. Must be something I'm doing wrong, or Kohl was doing right. :)

As for a German Rifle platoon having more casualties, I think I can blame Kohl. He put up a great fight, and any successes are entirely his. :)

Edited by Bud_B

Guys, Kohl and I had a quick chat this evening and we had an idea - best to strike while this thread is still alive! 

We've had a number of suggestions and request for more CAARs. We're interested in doing it. And we're interested in doing it on a custom map made by one of YOU. It should be a map from the smallest size allowed by the editor to 500x500m max. Suitable for a reinforced platoon on each side. 

We have CMBN, CMBT, CMFI. We have done CMBN, so we're looking at CMRT and CMFI for the next one. 

Anyone making a map (please let us know in advance of your intent) will have their handle (or name) on the cover of the next CAAR as the map-maker. Be aware we do need to take a look at the map to make sure it will work but generally any well made map should be fine. If in doubt, check with us. 

Anyone interested? 

<snip>

We have CMBN, CMBT, CMFI. We have done CMBN, so we're looking at CMRT and CMFI for the next one. 

Anyone making a map (please let us know in advance of your intent) will have their handle (or name) on the cover of the next CAAR as the map-maker. Be aware we do need to take a look at the map to make sure it will work but generally any well made map should be fine. If in doubt, check with us. 

Anyone interested? 

A new setting for the CAAR is a good idea.  It would be cool to see Lt. Warner and the boys in Italy or Russia.  Things are getting busy around here so I can't commit to making the map.  But maybe by bumping this up somebody else will notice and be able to put together a 500 x 500 map.  

I could cut down the map I made for my Pathfinders scenario.  It is fairly small but bigger than 500x500.  Check it out form my sig.  I think a battle around the bridge and nearby farm could work.

Edited to add: Ack it is not in my sig - stand by.

Edited to add link: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=2936

Edited by IanL

A new setting for the CAAR is a good idea.  It would be cool to see Lt. Warner and the boys in Italy or Russia.  Things are getting busy around here so I can't commit to making the map.  But maybe by bumping this up somebody else will notice and be able to put together a 500 x 500 map.

Thanks, that's nice of you. :) I've been busy and have several panels ready for our CMRT CAAR done.

You can see the discussion of my making the map and screen shots here: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/104496-pathfinder-mission-areal-photos-of-sicily/

Thanks, Ian. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but am reading your discussion about obtaining photos. Sounds a bit similar to what I underwent to get stuff for the landing beaches for the Canadians in Sicily. :)

• 1 month later...

I only just saw this. Being a noob Ive been reading Bils AAR's and really enjoyng them. Ths is something different. I really enjoyed your format . I dont normally enjoy the personalization of soldiers in the game but in this case it worked great. The battle small enough to remember the characters. The little segways where they explain what they were thinking . I just liked the whole thing . It was great.  The only thing I wasnt hugely keen on was the grainy textures. Just  a bit too grainy/ blurry for my old eyes at times :) 

outstanding work. !!!!

I only just saw this. Being a noob Ive been reading Bils AAR's and really enjoyng them. Ths is something different. I really enjoyed your format . I dont normally enjoy the personalization of soldiers in the game but in this case it worked great. The battle small enough to remember the characters. The little segways where they explain what they were thinking . I just liked the whole thing . It was great.  The only thing I wasnt hugely keen on was the grainy textures. Just  a bit too grainy/ blurry for my old eyes at times :) 

outstanding work. !!!!

Hi there and thanks for taking the time to write!

I'm a noob largely too, as I keep discovering when I play against more experience players LOL. I have not finished all of Bil's AARs but I plan to; they are fun and filled with great information.

You're not the first to say that personalizing the soldiers is not their thing - and I can understand that. It's tricky to present a battle in its entirety and yet give some sense that this is not just a tactical exercise or game. I'm glad I managed to balance that so that it worked for your after all. :) The asides where characters gave explanations was the only way I could think of also giving insight into my own thinking as I played the battle - rather than a sort of third person narrative, I thought why not let the characters speak for me?

I can understand the grainy textures being a bit problematic for some readers. I wanted I to look like a comic book would from years ago - today's graphic novels are so slick and polished (which is great too) but my aim was to harken to an earlier era. I intend to experiment with other styles a bit to see what may be easier on the eyes but still not end up looking entirely like a series of game screenshots. Good point, and thank you. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Freyberg said:

Late to the party, but that was fabulous :):)

That was the first one. If you do them I order (they are numbered on the cover) you will see that they are having some characters return.

Note that Good Old Days and Kirpan & Rhino are not complete (but will be). Once Upon a Time is now in progress. And my non-comic AAR will also be completed.