throwing grenades

You haven't provided enough information to make analysis of what is going on possible, but a couple of queries to get the discussion moving might be in order. Do they actually possess grenades? Might seem like a silly question, but that kind of thing can happen. Secondly, are they within range. Seems like they have to be within about 30m to be able to get grenades onto target. Generally speaking, if those two conditions are met, and they aren't suppressed, you don't have to do anything, they will usually throw grenades of their own accord. Sometimes it may help if you give them a fire order though. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Michael

I sometimes think my pTruppen are too eager to throw grenades... had a team use 11 of 14 grenades on one M8 Greyhound in a single minute! It didn't register as destroyed until a bazooka nailed it in the side, but I'm sure it was hors de combat before that because it never returned fire. Fortunately.

sorry about the lack of detial I mean when my guys are 20 to 30 meters away from a cluster of enemies they dont throw any grenades where it could have done a lot of damage

but instead go crazy throw almost every grenade they have at all kinds of armor and yes they do have grenades I can get them to throw it over walls but what I meant was if an enemy is attacking a hill and your troops defend it how to get them to throw grenades down and use them when attacking dug in troops more

Unlike the Ops situation I find that my Inf Squads uses Grenades far to often, especially in a one minute engagememt against HT's/AC's...Half the time it seems they throw more grenades then they use their Small Arms.

I would find it more resonable having 1-2 Truppen per squad throwing 1-2 Grenades per minute of Close Action Combat. Ofcourse, this could vary depending on Condition & Moral of troops and if engaging Soft Targets vs. Hard Targets.

*Side Note* I also find that Grenades immobilize Armored Targets to easily ( thought it was fixed in newest patch, but maybe not enough )...To many occassions where my Troops throw 1-2 grenades and able to immobilzing a passing tank.

Joe

I would love a "close assault" command that would emphasis grenades when area firing and also in general. It's frustrating to have men on other side of bocage or wall and IRL they could just lob a few nades over it but no.. it's very hard to get the truppen actually do it especialy with area fire. But then again, it's just a minor issue.

Unlike the Ops situation I find that my Inf Squads uses Grenades far to often, especially in a one minute engagememt against HT's/AC's...Half the time it seems they throw more grenades then they use their Small Arms.

I would find it more resonable having 1-2 Truppen per squad throwing 1-2 Grenades per minute of Close Action Combat. Ofcourse, this could vary depending on Condition & Moral of troops and if engaging Soft Targets vs. Hard Targets.

*Side Note* I also find that Grenades immobilize Armored Targets to easily ( thought it was fixed in newest patch, but maybe not enough )...To many occassions where my Troops throw 1-2 grenades and able to immobilzing a passing tank.

Joe

Remember when infantry are using "grenades" on vehicles in a close assault it is an abstraction. They could be doing anything from throwing grenade bundles to climbing on the damn thing!

A side note to that is that some units in Red Thunder specifically Russian "tank hunter" teams actually have AT grenades and are visible in their inventory, these are also shown being thrown rather than a generic grenade.

IIRC, what you are witnessing when this happens is an abstraction of infantry close assaulting a vehicle. They are supposed to be doing more than just tossing grenades, though the game just uses the grenade throwing animations.

• 8 months later...

Has anyone ever seen a grenade thrown into an open topped vehicle? I have only seen my men do the 'grenade/close assault' function causing explosions on the outside of the vehicle. Are open topped vehicles more vulnerable at all to grenades in the game? I'm starting to think they are not.

Has anyone ever seen a grenade thrown into an open topped vehicle? I have only seen my men do the 'grenade/close assault' function causing explosions on the outside of the vehicle. Are open topped vehicles more vulnerable at all to grenades in the game? I'm starting to think they are not.

I've certainly seen grenades chucked into open-topped vehicles in CMBN - memorably to an American M10 TD :) ( I've even got a picture somewhere ).

Can't say for certain in CMRT since there's a lot less open-topped stuff driving around, but since the games share the basic code, it should happen.

Edited by Baneman

Yes, Bren carries that get too close usually end up with a grenade exploding inside.  But yeah that's CMFI and CMBN.  I see no reason to believe the CMRT has different code - in fact there is plenty to believe that the basic game code is the same.

Also, they don't seem to spend any actual grenades while "close assaulting" vehicles.

Because they aren't using actual grenades. The game just uses the grenade throwing animation because there is no specific close assault animation.

Actually I think you will find that they are.  There is a defect with the count of grenades. The count is deducted before the turn play back begins.  So, if your team has six grenades last turn and they end up using four in their tank assault they will start the turn with 2 grenades and you will likely see them use four during the assault.

This happens for regular use of grenades  too.

Actually I think you will find that they are.  There is a defect with the count of grenades. The count is deducted before the turn play back begins.  So, if your team has six grenades last turn and they end up using four in their tank assault they will start the turn with 2 grenades and you will likely see them use four during the assault.

I've often thought grenade spending seemed a bit wonky, but sometimes I think it does subtract the number as individual grenades are thrown...? At least I seem to recall that it works sometimes.

That's good information, Ian, thanks! I never really watched grenade counts closely, but something always seemed off when did. Now I know.

This reminds me.

I was practicing using demo charges in bunker assaults and noticed that the demo charge count was also deducted at the start of the playback phase.  Below are some of my screen shot/notes from the practice.

CTTC%20Eng%20demo%20bunker_zpsjihuvzva.j

Eng%20demo%20bunker%202A_zpsdtdugl6p.jpg

Edited by MOS:96B2P

The grenade throwing is an abstraction for the sorts of placebo-effect weapons that infantry had too, like the S.T. bomb, Hawkins mine, Tellermine, etc. These weapons were all of varying effectiveness and never guaranteed a kill but hey were better than nothing. They don't really warrant specific modeling effort because any way you cut it close assaulting tanks was a really crappy job.

I remember in CMFI I lost most of a platoon of riflemen to a Tiger who succeeded in immobilizing the vehicle, but failed to knock it out. They *all* expended every grenade they had, this result while frustrating, is what keeps the game exciting to me. Because just the previous scenario one grenade from a team of 4 guys knocked out a Panzer IV. The game is all about hedging bets and working with what you've got. Not demanding and expecting specific results according to what you read in a Jane's guide 20 years ago. 

Edited by CaptHawkeye

The game is all about hedging bets and working with what you've got. Not demanding and expecting specific results according to what you read in a Jane's guide 20 years ago. 

Spot on.  If there really are defects I'm all for finding them but even while we are looking you have to play the game you've got and accept that it is part of the fun that you do *not* get "perfect pixel troops"tm.