Status update on "Black Sea"

This is highly probable separatists did shot the plane down as a mistake. They probably wanted to shoot down Ukrainian plane carring water and food for 3 encircled Ukrainian brigades. There is a speculation that Ukrainian military copied the route of civilian plane and failed to warn the pilot (on purpose?) he was entering the war zone.

Obviously they wouldn't have intended to shoot down a passenger plane because this will certainly backfire. I find the mentioned speculation very far fetched. Ukrainian planes landing there won't fly at 10km altitude.

Obviously they wouldn't have intended to shoot down a passenger plane because this will certainly backfire. I find the mentioned speculation very far fetched. Ukrainian planes landing there won't fly at 10km altitude.

The Ukrainian transport shot down earlier was flying at almost 8km. A month ago separatists took SA-11 system from Ukrainian base. Ukrainians dismissed the threat claiming the system was not 'operational'. Well...it is obviously operational. So why threat was so easily ignored? Why the plane was allowed to fly over the warzone along the different route than before?

I am pretty sure accusing Russians will prove false again and US sources will pinpoint the launch place as Ukraine terriotory (virtual beer for everyone if it proves otherwise).

Just look who benefits from the accident. This is an attention magnet Ukraine dreamt of, they are losing the war.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3ANF6E5FCKFNEJ%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fdnrpress%2Fstatus%2F483248037629018112

A tweet (in Russian) from a key Twitter account used by pro-Russian separatists, in which they claim to have captured a Buk surface-to-air missile system, has now been deleted, BBC Monitoring observes. Ukrainians say the Malaysian plane could have been downed with a Buk, but pro-Russian rebels have now denied they have it.

I believe [via the BBC] that yesterday the same Twitter account had claimed to have shot down a Ukrainian transport, around the same time that the Malaysian Airlines plane went down.

I believe [via the BBC] that yesterday the same Twitter account had claimed to have shot down a Ukrainian transport, around the same time that the Malaysian Airlines plane went down.

Chances are that this was a mistake, probably by the pro Russian rebels. It seems the Russians have been supplying them with advanced equipment and they have been shooting down Ukranian military aircraft. What may have happened is that inexperienced or ill trained crew made a misstake and misinterpreted the data.

This is very reminiscent of the KAL007 and USS Vincennes incidents.

A return to Steve's 1st post in in this BFC created in this thread is insightful.

"War is merely the continuation of policy by other means." - Carl von Clausewitz

"I can not stress how strongly we hope that in the coming days, weeks, months, or even years we are proven wrong about everything else. We wish the people of Ukraine the best, regardless of their ethnic, religious, or political affiliations. You deserve to live peacefully...."

I suspect no one considered a MH-17 catastrophe "policy" manifested mayhem / madness..could ever become reality.

The business predicament facing Battlefront's reputable product development....." we are not throwing together a game to capitalize on the problems of others" is on very solid ground for for regular customers and a solid reason for their forum silence.

A 1/2 cocked media "report" could potentially derail CMBS product release for Battlefront.

I (and I suspect other regular CM customers) would eagerly purchase a pre release CMBS when offered.

"Wars are about killing and being killed for goals which may, or may not, have value. Wargames are about the tactics and weapons of those wars" Steve@BFC

Has any indication of a release date been hinted at so far? Will it be release in 2014?

Some time ago we indicated a window of late summer 2014, however it's looking like we're going to miss that somewhat. Turns out modern equipment is much more complicated than WW2 stuff and involves a lot more work to implement. :D We haven't announced an updated release window. Heck, we haven't even officially announced the game yet. ;)

Some time ago we indicated a window of late summer 2014, however it's looking like we're going to miss that somewhat. Turns out modern equipment is much more complicated than WW2 stuff and involves a lot more work to implement. :D We haven't announced an updated release window. Heck, we haven't even officially announced the game yet. ;)

"modern equipment is much more complicated..."

Modern equipment is a whole lot of fun to play with too :)

"Heck, we haven't even officially announced the game yet."

Many Modernistas ;) are ready for the unofficially announced game... later 2014 works.

Any specifics on the patch / upgrades for WWII?

Thanks for the feedback.

Nope. The work required to do such a thing isn't worth it, considering all the other more important things we would have to give up in order to dedicate the time to such a feature.

It is especially not worth it when considering that, in this sort of combat setting, other than very special circumstances (like special ops), landing troops via helicopter directly onto an active battlefield is the stuff of movies, not reality. The amount of AA the enemy possesses would turn it into a bloodbath.

I really don't want to bring up old things - since I read over it the first time I saw this...

but, considering that I actually served for quite a while as an active officer of a western army, and considering that I try to stay current on active wars as much as possible I'd have to disagree with the last statement of your text ChrisND.

Helicopters are NOT just used for SpecOps insertions... just look at 3 Para in Helmand province... they moved companies or more at a time - to use the element of surprise...

Or should I bring up German Fallschirmjägers, French Paratroopers etc....

and yes..one would see this less frequently in a full out engagement between two major powers, due to the fact of AA - and yes, neither the war against the Taliban, nor the war in Iraq can be used as a reference for a war between NATO and Russia - but the "categorization" of the statement: "Helicopters as a means of transport is a stuff of movies" is quite wrong I am afraid...

also: has there been any news on the possibility of "rolling artillery fire" for any of the next titles?

if there is anything missing when it comes to arty it is this I am afraid - especially for WWII...

I really don't want to bring up old things - since I read over it the first time I saw this...

but, considering that I actually served for quite a while as an active officer of a western army, and considering that I try to stay current on active wars as much as possible I'd have to disagree with the last statement of your text ChrisND.

Helicopters are NOT just used for SpecOps insertions... just look at 3 Para in Helmand province... they moved companies or more at a time - to use the element of surprise...

Or should I bring up German Fallschirmjägers, French Paratroopers etc....

and yes..one would see this less frequently in a full out engagement between two major powers, due to the fact of AA - and yes, neither the war against the Taliban, nor the war in Iraq can be used as a reference for a war between NATO and Russia - but the "categorization" of the statement: "Helicopters as a means of transport is a stuff of movies" is quite wrong I am afraid...

Here is a great read that may change your perspective on the role and capability of air assault in a high or even medium threat environment.

http://www.amazon.com/Not-Good-Day-Die-Operation/dp/0425207870

and yes..one would see this less frequently in a full out engagement between two major powers, due to the fact of AA - and yes, neither the war against the Taliban, nor the war in Iraq can be used as a reference for a war between NATO and Russia

I overstated my case somewhat, but this is what I'm getting at. We have better things to spend our meager resources on that would apply to a larger swath of possible scenarios.

also: has there been any news on the possibility of "rolling artillery fire" for any of the next titles?

I haven't heard anything about it.

Here is a great read that may change your perspective on the role and capability of air assault in a high or even medium threat environment.

http://www.amazon.com/Not-Good-Day-Die-Operation/dp/0425207870

I'll have a look at it, thx....however to make sure I am properly understood: I never said that it was something one would do frequently, or that it was a bright idea in a high or medium threat environment... I completely agree on that... all I was stating was that it is still something that armies train for and some would probably use - whether it would end well is something completely different...

and sometimes... you don't have the luxury of deciding whether you can move in safely or not... sometimes you do not have the time...

I overstated my case somewhat, but this is what I'm getting at. We have better things to spend our meager resources on that would apply to a larger swath of possible scenarios.

I haven't heard anything about it.

thanks for your answer... I can completely understand that there are more important things to be done!

hopefully we'll see something improving artillery in that particular field in the future...

I'm very patient, I'll buy all upcoming titles and continue writing my AARs either way :D

Hi all,

to those looking forward for the release of this new modern era title I'd like to ask a question:

regarding possible graphic (texture) mods:

would you like to see improved resolution textures (double size)- which will ask for more computer resources- or would you prefer to see standard resolution textures (which will have the same impact on the game as the original ones)?

I am asking this because seems to me a lot of people avoid to use mods with their games due to performance worries.

Sorry for the wrong place to ask but there's no dedicated forum yet.

Hi all,

to those looking forward for the release of this new modern era title I'd like to ask a question:

regarding possible graphic (texture) mods:

would you like to see improved resolution textures (double size)- which will ask for more computer resources- or would you prefer to see standard resolution textures (which will have the same impact on the game as the original ones)?

I am asking this because seems to me a lot of people avoid to use mods with their games due to performance worries.

Sorry for the wrong place to ask but there's no dedicated forum yet.

I for one am using most of your mods without any issues... so keep those high res textures coming ;)

All the mods I have done are of a standard texture resolution (same as original), sometimes I misused the term "HD", because they are of higher definition than vanillas' but they have the same resolution at the end of the day, so they have no impact on FPS.

I have been experimenting with shock force lately, testing a new rig (third new since CMSF original release) using 2x texture resolutions. Problem is that CMSF has a lighter engine (no shaders, for example) and allows for 2x res textures to be used without problems, meanwhile I forsee that CMBS engine will be somewhat heavier than CMRT so I wonder that 2x res textures will ask too much of any computer (until multicore is implemented).

On the other hand if CMBS will sport a CMRT engine with 3.0 goodness and performance/optimization improvements the problem is going to be avoided.

Hi res: all day, every day!

Tech advances: 1 Gb Vram cards used to be "extreme". Now, consensus seems to think 2 Gb is minimum, 3 Gb is better, and 4 Gb cards are going to be good for a couple years. (Single screen gaming, non-4k.) Make 'em big, make 'em beautiful. Let the player upgrade to keep up. ;)

This game shines with hi res mods.

Ken

THanks for your opinions,

I am considering the double standard, if I am not mistaken, the HD version (2x texture size) could be done first - then, with a couple of clicks, a standard size can be obtained just re-sizing the texture as a Whole to a 50% value.

Not much of an effort there, but could be useful for people running on low specs.

re video card RAM, I recall reading a year or two ago that anything much above 2GB is not used and more of a marketing gimmick. Has the tech changed to so that one actually sees a difference with 4GB+ VRam?

I use a 30" widescreen monitor with something like 2700x1600 res but the (4 year old) vcard only has 2GB.

Hi res: all day, every day!

Tech advances: 1 Gb Vram cards used to be "extreme". Now, consensus seems to think 2 Gb is minimum, 3 Gb is better, and 4 Gb cards are going to be good for a couple years. (Single screen gaming, non-4k.) Make 'em big, make 'em beautiful. Let the player upgrade to keep up. ;)

This game shines with hi res mods.

Ken

I agree with Ken. "This game shines with hi res mods. "

Erwin "....Has the tech changed to so that one actually sees a difference with 4GB+ VRam?"

I noticed the ease of maximum graphics settings improved to become fluid movement in any CM 3D environment straight away on an older 2009 MacPro. On the Hackintosh 4GB GPU with faster CPU, faster memory, etc. makes CMRT Rock! "A 4K panel is around 4 times the resolution of 1080p Blu-ray content. " Your 2GB card should fine for your current system. I would not bother upgrading until you need to.. when 4K monitor & GPU prices drop. Could be 3-4 years.

I am planning on getting a new system, but my philosophy has been to buy one generation away from "state of the art" since getting that last 10% performance can cost a great deal more.

Also, I have learned that if you can't actually detect improvement in speed or visuals, then regardless of what the tech specs may show, it's not worth getting. So for now, I am still wondering if it's worth getting a vcard with more than 2GB VRam, or if getting a faster processor would be a better choice. (I am convinced that an SSD is the way to go for one's games.)

What other items should I be considering when selecting components for a new machine?