Status update on "Black Sea"

I run cmsf on max with nvidia forced AA and hd mods with an athlon 64 x2 at 2.7ghz, 4gb of cheap ram and an nvidia 8800gts 512mb and only ever experience slow downs in the dense urban maps. The x2 engine cant be anywhere near as bad as some think performance wise. I have a feeling i would see a bigger difference in upgrading my cpu before the 7 odd year old graphics card aswell, as a 200mhz overclock gives me a few extra frames.

As for a GPU purchase, I think Ken is correct, "Now, consensus seems to think 2 Gb is minimum, 3 Gb is better, and 4 Gb cards are going to be good for a couple years."

When you look at the GPU memory it will take to fully use a 4K monitor I might be best to go with a 4GB GPU upgrade and wait for the 4K equipment to decrease in cost. In theroy with a 4K monitor you can turn off or reduce the amount of antialiasing applied and still have a good looking image. If you want a highest-quality detail settings and 4K you need lots of GPU power.

For 3840*2160 support per NVIDIA, "All GeForce GTX 600 and 700 series GPUs can support 4K resolutions through DisplayPort..... In order to power games at this resolution with settings turned up NVIDIA recommends GTX 780 SLI or better."

You’ll need a DisplayPort 1.2 cable.

My EVGA GTX 760 4GB GPU should be able to support a single 4K monitor output over DisplayPort 1.2 cable. I doubt I could set graphics in CM to best as I do now in 2560 x 1440 and maintain the fluid movement around the map I currently have. I bet CM would still look really fine in 4K even at moderate settings on 4GB -GPU.

On the other hand if CMBS will sport a CMRT engine with 3.0 goodness and performance/optimization improvements the problem is going to be avoided.

I don't think there is any question of that. There will be only one..... no not Highlander, the CM engine. That is the premise BF announced oh so many moons ago. CMBS and the eventual CMSF2 will operate from the same base engine as CMBN, CMFI, CMRT and whatever other families we see.

Yeah, the engine got quite many improvements since CMSF.

I had the chance to witness this directly only recently, after having put my hands back onto CMSF, and the improvements over so many elements are very sensible.

Really looking forward for the 3.0 version, this might be the starting base for CMBS + the new gamey features related to modern warfare.

"There will be only one..... no not Highlander..." :)

"CMBS and the eventual CMSF2 will operate from the same base engine as CMBN, CMFI, CMRT and whatever other families we see."

Non betas know

"There won't be any "CMSF2" (AKA the big upgrade to bring CMSF to the current engine) updates for a long while. We aren't even actively working on it yet. It's planned for after we finish some other projects with a higher priority, such as Black Sea."

BF was working on optimizations for the patches before v3.0 upgrades would be offered.

"Patch / upgrades for WWII are currently in testing."

Won't be too much longer :D

Are Spetsnaz units in the Russian Armed Forces in CMBS?

AFAIK, from what I can tell from ChrisNDs videos and the TO&E that I saw in the editor, that there will be reconnaissance troops of motor-rifle formations. These are effectively Spetsnaz, and are equipped in the light role with TIGR and the best equipment.

The "Spetsnaz" that everyone thinks of when you mention Spetsnaz are often reconnaissance troops of the airborne formations, such as the 45th Independent Recon Regiment.

Thanks.

I heard GRU / Spetsnaz are in Ukraine .....mentioned a few times in the media. The quality of their specific unit reports are suspect but it sounds as if locals ID'd the units to one reporter. Would be nice if media snatched some unit patch photos but then I suspect they may have been detained after all their equipment was confiscated.

I am sure ChrisND will have some more information in his videos.

No Spetsnaz in base game.

AFAIK, from what I can tell from ChrisNDs videos and the TO&E that I saw in the editor, that there will be reconnaissance troops of motor-rifle formations. These are effectively Spetsnaz, and are equipped in the light role with TIGR and the best equipment.

Indeed. The Russians will have recon battalions and companies mounted on Tigrs and are equipped with better gear, such as night vision goggles for all soldiers, and PDAs.

I have an idea: why doesn't BFC tell us their entire game plan for the next fifty years? Then we can all go home and find something else to bug someone about.

;)

Michael

Like when the livestock will come to Life in game :D

They are alive, they are just playing dead to avoid being used as bullet shields. Smart animals. Look really really close and you can see them breathing.

Wow! I got very quiet and ;)

Saw 4 mature hoofed grazing, browsing animals, minus branched bony antlers walk across my pasture while I was on the tractor mid afternoon! They knew they were safe and simply took their time grabbing berries before they trotted back in the woods. Those were smart and live animals :)

I also hoe i hope Ukrainian conflict / tragedy will not affect CMBS release. Steve was on top of what ifs... posting what he did at the very start of this thread.

Check out Moon's ..."Housekeeping! Updated CM:BN Installer packages!"

"Time for some spring... err... summer cleaning! We've just updated a number of the existing Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy installer packages. With the 3.0 Engine Upgrade for CMBN and CMFI around the corner, it's time to clean up some legacy releases."

Let the Good Times Roll :D