Next Module this Year or Next Year?

...3-inch mortars...

John D. Salt once posted in these pages that he had once measured the bore of a 3" mortar and to his surprise found that it came out to 81 mm. If so, calling it a three inch was apparently just a convention, like the 77 mm tank gun. Can anyone else here claim to have personally measured a 3" mortar?

Michael

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you already fretting over the next installment, you could play CM:BN til you're sated, then pick up a copy of CM:Afghanistan and play that till tunnel matcarpal syndrome sets in, then pick up CMSF and play through that, then grab each of the modules. And when you're finally done with all of them, returning to CM:BN will be like returning to a favorite old love.

Old CMSF player have gone the opposite route. Starting with CMSF then to Afghanistan, then the long-anticipated CM:BN title. And now they're becoming nostalgic again for AT-4 ATGMs and ERA exploding armor blocks. :)

For those of you already fretting over the next installment, you could play CM:BN til you're sated, then pick up a copy of CM:Afghanistan and play that till tunnel matcarpal syndrome sets in, then pick up CMSF and play through that, then grab each of the modules. And when you're finally done with all of them, returning to CM:BN will be like returning to a favorite old love.

Old CMSF player have gone the opposite route. Starting with CMSF then to Afghanistan, then the long-anticipated CM:BN title. And now they're becoming nostalgic again for AT-4 ATGMs and ERA exploding armor blocks. :)

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Bob

If so, calling it a three inch was apparently just a convention, like the 77 mm tank gun.

I am at a loss here as I thought all named objects were called that by most people was a necessary convention. In a citizen army that commonly used Imperial measures getting metric would surely just be a confusion that was unnecessary. But useful for tankies when they had to start differentiating guns :)

And lets face the UK was rather ahead of the world in naming things rather than numbering them. And if you think about it the naming works for the guns - consider "We are under fire from 88's." Is that short firing by 25pdrs or enemy guns?

I always wonder if using measurements or numbers makes some types feel something is more correct/businesslike with little regard for use.

As the Olympics approach I look forward to gold medals going to winners by thousandths of the second. Personally if the spirit of sportsmanship I think we perhaps out to be honest and say if they are with the functional limit of eyeballing - whatever that is 1 tenth of a second say then it is a dead heat. Measurement should be suitable for what is being done.

What is the chance for additional German vehicles and tanks in this module ? That were available in this timeframe and region, but not included so far ? Something like a Jagdpanther ? Not much hope for a Hetzer or Hashorn, I guess ?

What is the chance for additional German vehicles and tanks in this module ? That were available in this timeframe and region, but not included so far ? Something like a Jagdpanther ? Not much hope for a Hetzer or Hashorn, I guess ?

We will definitely be getting new German vehicles with each module; BFC has confirmed as much. Exactly which is a matter of speculation... Steve did specifically confirm that the Jagdpanther is coming to CMBN at some point, though this doesn't necessarily mean in the British module. I think the Tiger II is a pretty safe bet. Other than this, I haven't seen any specific information.

Some of us are not interested in modern era games. While I will certainly buy every module, expansion, sequel, or whatever-you-want-to-call-them for CMBN, I have almost zero interest in CMSF and it's expansions.

Caveat: unless you own a Mac.

Modern? Afghanistan covers something like 1978 to 1992. That wasn't just last century, that was last millenium! ;)

And to add to what Mikey said, CM:Afghanistan even models some WWI and WWII era weapons.

It is quite a game, and well worth a look. It would really benefit from some more user-made scenarios.

- Back to the original topic,

We would still be waiting for CM:BN if BFC decided to include SS, FJ, and British units. The module concept not only makes sense from a business standpoint, but also from a player perspective. We get a lot more content spread out over a period of time and something to always look forward to in the realm of Combat Mission.

It's true: I miss my Javelins, my Jackals and my fully tooled up Marine squads something fierce..:(

I'd rather wait a while and see the Commonwealth/SS module done well, than have it sooner. Battlefront, in all the time I have know their games (CMBO) have always engaged really well with their customers. When I think of other games I play or have played, I just can't imagine the developers actually lowering themselves to debate with their fans or customers.

The Beta Testers also did and do a great job. I've beta tested for non-gaming stuff (Corel Painter 12) and I think it's refreshing that Battlefront allow their testers to talk about and reveal so much of the process.... with most software, the NDA basically means I can say I was a beta tester... and that's about it.

Modern? Afghanistan covers something like 1978 to 1992. That wasn't just last century, that was last millenium! ;)

In wargamer usage, 'modern' covers just about everything post-Korea. And even Korea is a gray, transitional era only because so much of the weaponry was WW II vintage. An argument can be made that it too belongs in the modern era.

Michael

In wargamer usage, 'modern' covers just about everything post-Korea. And even Korea is a gray, transitional era only because so much of the weaponry was WW II vintage. An argument can be made that it too belongs in the modern era.

Michael

What a round about way of saying you guys are getting old.

What a round about way of saying you guys are getting old.

And you expect us to believe that you are not? In any event, all it means is that we have been around the block a few more times than you still-wet-behind-the-ears types, have seen more, and have thus acquired a greater stock of wisdom.

:)

Michael

That was done to piss you off on purpose and make you growl and show your teeth.

Haha...well, I think it is a justified question on itself. But we know BF can't give it us all at once and it will come. Apart from that it is interesting to read every vehicle that is included costs BF extra money. Never thought of it that way. Personally I wouldn't mind donating some money to get more vehicles, but I realize I probably underestimate the costs. A couple of hundred Euro won't even add a sledge, I guess. But I hope this time we can avoid the frustration of the first series, like no Tiger II, Puma and Cromwell in CMAK. But then again, I'm also old enough to know this world will never be perfect. And I take what I can get. Game-wise that is...

The word modern is pretty subjective though. You could take that to mean post industrial revolution or even >2000 AD. I think the idea that modern is anything post WW2 is a bit biased ;)

Actually you could say anything post-1500ish. ;-)

Let's hear it for Maurice, Duke of Nassau and his revolutionary infantry tactics.