Troop and Equip Scale Size

I'm an old-school CM user. I'm having trouble increasing the scale size of the troops and equip. I think it was ctrl 3 on the old games. How do you do it with Normandy? ...hope there is a way...my old eyes have a hard time seeing stuff in actual scale.

No you can't, but you can zoom in and out (although that's not really the same thing).

An old joke of mine is that players tend to raise the camera height until the detail disappears (usually level 3) then decided to play from there. Lower the camera height and you'll be able to count the hairs on the back of the soldier's neck.

My eyes are getting so bad that I can't see the hair on someones neck if they are standing in front of me. lol

I'm keeping the camera low, though. Just takes a little getting used to it.

My eyes are getting so bad that I can't see the hair on someones neck if they are standing in front of me. lol

I'm keeping the camera low, though. Just takes a little getting used to it.

dude... glasses?

i just got glasses and it made a world of difference... like going from fat-tv to hd-tv... and i thought i had no problems with my eyes...

Just curious why the different sizes available in CM1 was no longer a feature in CM2? I also found that useful many times.

Also, why was the option to get rid of the undergrowth eliminated? Many times I have a problem seeing my units, especially WIA amongst the tall grass and bocage. In CM1 it was a very useful and easy feature to just get degrade the density of the trees as well as the undergrowth as desired.

And while I am at it, it wold be great to have an easy in-game method of changing brightness/gamma. All of the night scenarios are SO dark that I have to exit and go play with my nVidia control panel until I can enhance the brightness/gamma, then contrast and digital intensity (or whatever it's called), repeatedly switching in and out of the game until I can get it visible as well as looking good.

Today I wasted 4 hours just trying to get a camouflaged/leafy helmet into one of my .brz files so that my 2nd Div armored inf would have more variety of helmet models. I find Rezexplode etc very confusing - you need the mind of an accountant or programmer to understand it. I thought I got it all right eventually, but I guess no, as the in-game US troops' helmets look exactly the same as before my wasted 4 hours... Grrr....

CM2 is beginning to remind me of the "ahead of its time" Panzer Elite - where I spent more time trying to get the game to work right than in actually playing it.

Just curious why the different sizes available in CM1 was no longer a feature in CM2? I also found that useful many times.

It might have something to do with the 3d models in CM2 playing a direct role in LOF and hit calculations. I'm not sure if it's possible to separate the visual 3d model from the hit calculation 3d model (which presumably would be invisible graphically if visual models are enlarged).

If you are in view 6 and in roughly the right area it shouldn't be too difficult to spot your wounded guys if you have the unit selected.

It is best if you select all your units first either by double clicking the highest ranking unit (but as this may not select all your units in all scenarios) or starting at view 9 and doing a drag select across the entire map and zooming down to a more appropriate level.

Also, why was the option to get rid of the undergrowth eliminated? Many times I have a problem seeing my units, especially WIA amongst the tall grass and bocage. In CM1 it was a very useful and easy feature to just get degrade the density of the trees as well as the undergrowth as desired.

I think CM1 based its calculations purely on algorithms that didn't rely on the graphical information presented to the player, whereas I believe CM2 works somewhat differently.

<Alt> T is the secret. However there are only 3 settings to this option. What is missing is the "all trees are shown as trunks".

In CM1x trees when turned off (how I mostly played) still showed up on the map as dark green patches, however, comma, in CMBN when the trees are off it is impossible to see where the trees really are. This is beginning to flusterate my old eyes too.

In a recent battle I had trees off and was thinking my limited LOS was due to some unseen elevation glitch. Nope the trees were off and terrain does not show trees I was unable to detect them..

I think a simple addition to the <ALT>-T option setting of ALL TREES SHOWN AS TRUNKS would solve this. With my limited knowledge of programming I don't think this needs to wait till CM3X. Hopefully it makes patch 1.01.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something here, but in my version of the game, one of the ALT-T settings shows trees as trunks or stumps. It only does this for trees within a certain distance of the camera though, beyond that they still show as complete trees.

Michael

I think what the Lieutenant is saying is that he'd like to have the trees beyond that certain distance show as trunks only, or at least for that to be one of the options. Or perhaps that's just me thinking it would be a good idea and the good Belenko meant something else.