How do you get guys out of a vehicle at a waypoint?

I'd like to know too.

I've noticed that if you tell a guy to get out of a stationary vehicle and that vehicle has a movement order for that turn, that he doesn't get out until its movement is completed.

So even if you give your halftrack a 30 second pause before its movement begins, the passenger wont get out until it's moved.

Not a problem for RT, but in WeGo, it takes an extra turn to get them out and get it moving.

Unless there's a "trick to it" that I'm too dim to fathom.

I must say, the one thing I am somewhat disappointed in with CMBN is the apparent lack of improvement of the WEGO command system - namely the problem of 'stringing together' of orders into a coherent minute-long action.

For this example of exiting troops, it would be good if the engine would recognize the disembark order, pause the vehicle in question's current movement long enough for the troops to get off and then continue the vehicle movement order. This would certainly mean linking the vehicle and troop movement in some way (which possibly isn't the case at the moment) but this is exactly the sort of improvement I would really appreciate.

Another would be some sort of pop-up list of the orders given, in sequence, per waypoint, to a particular unit. Do this, do that, face this way, deploy hamster, wait for 15sec, then look this way and then finally set up a cover-arc.

I still love this game and it's a massive improvement over anything that has gone before (imho). But a part of me can't help but think we shouldn't still be discussing WEGO command 'tricks' and limitations 10 years on from CMBO.

(RT is[/] a huge step forward I know, but WEGO is still the core of CM for me. I want to um and ah over a move, wonder what will happen in the next 60secs, set up my orders, execute and then watch it fall apart. Plenty enough RT games out there for me.)

Subject says it all, really.

Thanks!

GaJ

If you mean the guys manning the vehicle you can't. (Or I haven't been able to get it work at least)

If you mean the guys riding along (i.e. the guys in the back of a truck), simply tell the vehicle where to go AFTER that you tell the guys in the back where to go. Once the vehicle reaches its destination (so no intermediate destinations), the guys in the back will jump out and run to their waypoint.

If you mean the guys manning the vehicle you can't. (Or I haven't been able to get it work at least)

As far as I know, them you tell to "Dismount" - passengers you just give a movement order.

I'm sure I got the driver out of a 250/1 this way. Not tried with trucks since I haven't played a game with a truck yet ;)

The only way to unload at a waypoint is to make that waypoint the END waypoint. The pause command will not work.

It's a little bit of a pain, but workable.

Given that there are no longer command delays, this isn't too painful. What's painful is losing 50 seconds of a vehicle's movement because you needed to get that guy out.

Or worse, ( back before you knew this), watching your FO careen across the landscape while the mortar crew are going "WTF ? Where's he going ?"

The way to coordinate this better in WEGO is simple.

1. Give the vehicle a 45 second pause.

2. Move vehicle to the spot you want to deploy troops. (not a far move for this to work).

3. Deploy troops

By the end of the turn your vehicle has started to deploy troops and the turn ends. Now for the new turn tell your vehicle where to go and it will offload the troops first (which it started at the end of the last turn) THEN it will go where you want. The key is the use of pause.

More planning? Yes. We love WEGO? Yes.

If you want the crew and passengers to leave the vehicle at the start of the turn and walk to a destination, select the vehicle, press dismount and issue move orders.

If you want the passengers to leave the vehicle at the start of the turn and walk, and the vehicle to drive somewhere after the passengers have gone, select the passengers, press dismount, then issue move orders.

If you want the passengers to leave the vehicle at the end of the vehicle's movement, issue move orders to both units, don't press dismount.

If you want the passengers to leave the vehicle at a waypoint and have the vehicle keep moving after the passengers have dismounted, it can't be done. You'll just have to use pauses to have the vehicle arrive where you want the infantry to dismount as close to the end of the turn as you can.

If you want the crew and passengers to leave the vehicle at the start of the turn and walk to a destination, select the vehicle, press dismount and issue move orders.

If you want the passengers to leave the vehicle at the start of the turn and walk, and the vehicle to drive somewhere after the passengers have gone, select the passengers, press dismount, then issue move orders.

If you want the passengers to leave the vehicle at the end of the vehicle's movement, issue move orders to both units, don't press dismount.

Sweet ! Thanks for that juicy piece of info !!

Never realised that passengers could use dismount to get out before vehicle movement in the same turn.

Brilliant :)

<snip>If you want the passengers to leave the vehicle at a waypoint and have the vehicle keep moving after the passengers have dismounted, it can't be done. You'll just have to use pauses to have the vehicle arrive where you want the infantry to dismount as close to the end of the turn as you can.

Thanks for the info. That will be very helpful. The orders at way point system is so powerful. I love setting up a tank to move and fire at multiple area targets in a turn. We just need a dismount command that passengers can use at a given way point. Then we could do what ever we want.

One of the problems with wego...you need to time the move using the pause order so the move ends just before the next turn begins...then you can dismount and move...a pain but there are work arounds...WEGO and Realtime both have advantages and disadvantages...

Also take a look in the CMSF tactics sticky...shows loads of good tips in there on how to use the pause ordr as work arounds and how to go hull down shoot oncce then back out...

I learnt alot about playing through that sticky it it helps me no end with CMBN.

I have stated several times about WEGO and the pause order...it's invaluable...again check the CMSF tactics sticky...

It seems so bizarre that you can't give dismount at a waypoint. Being able to give commands at a waypoint is so cool ... why not _all_ commands...

(I can see that in this instance the answer is "because you give vehicles commands at waypoints, not passengers. Dang. How about an "evict" command for vehicles :) )

GaJ

I suspect the reason passengers cannot dismount in the middle of movement is that the vehicle is still in motion. Now, if you could give a Stop command followed by, say, a 15 second pause, then it would be perfectly logical to be able to also have the passengers dismount in the middle of a move order. But so far as I know, there is no Stop command that can be given to a vehicle in the middle of a continuous series of movement waypoints.

Michael

I suspect the reason passengers cannot dismount in the middle of movement is that the vehicle is still in motion. Now, if you could give a Stop command followed by, say, a 15 second pause, then it would be perfectly logical to be able to also have the passengers dismount in the middle of a move order. But so far as I know, there is no Stop command that can be given to a vehicle in the middle of a continuous series of movement waypoints.

Michael

Yes you can.

Just click the waypoint ball and issue a pause for as long as you like. The vehicle will drive to the point and stop for the length of the pause then contine on to the next waypoint.

Yes you can.

Just click the waypoint ball and issue a pause for as long as you like. The vehicle will drive to the point and stop for the length of the pause then contine on to the next waypoint.

But will it unload? My point is that the program does not at present recognize a pause as a stop that allows an unload. Maybe some more coding is required here. Until that is done, the workarounds mentioned here are all player have to fall back on.

Michael

I must say, the one thing I am somewhat disappointed in with CMBN is the apparent lack of improvement of the WEGO command system - namely the problem of 'stringing together' of orders into a coherent minute-long action.

Man that is very harsh. There are many improvements to stringing orders together in WEGO and the system is much more powerful than CMx1.

Even just the 5 second pause increments are an amazing increase in versatility.

I suspect the reason passengers cannot dismount in the middle of movement is that the vehicle is still in motion

That doesn't fly.

Even in CMx1, if you asked the guys to get out at a waypoint (which you could do in that old game, not like this newfangled on ;) ) the vehicle would stop, wait for them to get out, and move on...

GaJ

That doesn't fly.

Even in CMx1, if you asked the guys to get out at a waypoint (which you could do in that old game, not like this newfangled on ;) ) the vehicle would stop, wait for them to get out, and move on...

Obviously that has been changed. I offered a rationale for why that might have been done. It may or may not be correct as I have not corresponded with BFC on the subject, but it is an obvious possibility. Can you think of a better one?

Michael