Trains in CMBN

yes it ad a lot to the overall look

Really? Doesn't seem to me that there would be a lot of call for it. Maybe one or two scenarios out of hundreds would involve fighting around a train station that actually had a train sitting in it. Or are you planning to swamp us with scenarios containing trains?

Michael

Yes, not much armored train combat in the Western Europe that I recall ever reading. Film clips of FB attacks on transport train, yes, but that would be an entirely different game, no?

But assaulting an armored train in the Eastern Front module would be very interesting... boxcars with T-34 turrets atop... Mmmm...

am i really the only one who has seen the "easter egg"??

make a custom scenario with tracks and at least two buildings next to it. if you wait long enough in preview, a train will eventually appear. click on the train operator and you get a first perspective view in which you can control the train and move around the track you have created.

i couldn't figure out how to add coal so the train stopped after a while. i wonder if anyone knows how to add coal?!

Rather than think of just trains, I think of 'more 3-D objects' to add additional flavour to the maps. That would be very cool.

That's been a staple of flight simulator enthusiasts for years. . .

I will bet you anything they will not add trains to CMBN. For the same amount of work they could get you a vehicle that can actually do something. I can almost guarantee you they will not add any more flavour objects to the CMBN family either. Yeah it would be cool and all but I believe it could make maps incompatible between modules. Would you really want to not be able to play a scenario because the designer added one particular flavour object? Look for more when we get to the Bulge Family though.

I will bet you anything they will not add trains to CMBN.

I agree that won't happen.

In the case of X-Plane and Flight Sim, the developers have provided a full API and data structure to so that 3rd parties can develop functionality and objects. I don't see this happening with Combat Mission.

"am i really the only one who has seen the "easter egg"??

make a custom scenario with tracks and at least two buildings next to it. if you wait long enough in preview, a train will eventually appear. click on the train operator and you get a first perspective view in which you can control the train and move around the track you have created.

i couldn't figure out how to add coal so the train stopped after a while. i wonder if anyone knows how to add coal?!"

That's nothing. Find a QB that that has a village with the cafe L'Auberge au Coin Fleuri: go in and ask for Nicolle. Follow her up to the 3rd floor and experience the thanks of a grateful French nation. CM programmers: you are amazing!!

I would rather see a proper train station building (nothing fancy, just like a platform and building) which as I understand it is currently not available. Some of my favorite levels in Red Orchestra / Darkest Hour involve fighting over train stations. I suppose such a thing can be easily abstracted with regular buildings, but would look better with the real deal.

It's pretty easy to make your own train station buildings using either the long modular buildings and/or the custom buildings. With the modulars, if you make it 2-story, add a balcony, then remove all the doors which lead out onto the balcony you even get the verandah effect.

Simples.