Dead Bodies Request

Just wanted to bring up an excellent idea from the CMSF forum.

After the more violent battles it is often very sobering to look over the battlefield at the carnage. One thing that is missing, though, is all the bodies.

Now I understand that the bodies of the wounded will be gone after buddy aid (that makes perfect sense) but I request that the bodies of the dead stay put after buddy aid. Maybe just a different colored "base" to show that the body has been looted of all available weapons/ammo after buddy aid?

Also.... I would LOVE to see the kill stats of the arty!

Kill stats from the artillery or airsupport would be a great addon! I've always wanted that one. Nothing beats going through the battlefield (talking about Cmx1 now) to check how many kills the various units got...however, there has never been any airsupport statistics.. then again, perhaps we do get that now since specific units call on it?)

Just wanted to bring up an excellent idea from the CMSF forum.

Also.... I would LOVE to see the kill stats of the arty!

This would be awesome!

Now I understand that the bodies of the wounded will be gone after buddy aid (that makes perfect sense) but I request that the bodies of the dead stay put after buddy aid. Maybe just a different colored "base" to show that the body has been looted of all available weapons/ammo after buddy aid?

I think it would be great to have/see stretcher bearers carry off the wounded, or perhaps if the wounded are ambulatory, see them limp off. I def. think the wounded and dead should remain on the field throughout the game.

This would be awesome!

I think it would be great to have/see stretcher bearers carry off the wounded, or perhaps if the wounded are ambulatory, see them limp off. I def. think the wounded and dead should remain on the field throughout the game.

my dad was a medic/stretcher bearer/ambulance driver in WW2... he passed away last month. but seeing a Red Cross/White circle on a helmet or two would be most welcome to me ... but not dad, as he rarely spoke of his experiences.

And stop my soldiers shooting surrendering enemy while you're at it. I find it rather disturbing...

I've seen that too but if you look close you'll probably see a couple soldiors who aren't surrendering. They won't be as visible as they are the ones still hunkering down.

my dad was a medic/stretcher bearer/ambulance driver in WW2... he passed away last month. but seeing a Red Cross/White circle on a helmet or two would be most welcome to me ... but not dad, as he rarely spoke of his experiences.

My uncle was a medic in Europe as well. He never talked about his service even to his brothers who were both combat veterans.

And stop my soldiers shooting surrendering enemy while you're at it. I find it rather disturbing...

No no no!

This is one of the GREAT features of CMBN. Your troops dont shoot surrendered enemy but sometimes those that are surrendering are getting caught in the crossfire and take hits. Top notch realism.

AIUI, taking the bodies off after Buddy Aid is mostly to help reduce the number of objects that are making demands on the LOS calculator. But it might be more possible to have all the casualties replaced during the 'end of battle' map review, when everything is visible anyway.

And I don't think HQs that call in support get the kill credits... They should, or the support units represented somehow at endgame.

Kill stats from the artillery or airsupport would be a great addon!

I do believe you can get that through the spotter. If at the end of the game you've got someobody at the back of the maps with a pair of binocular and 40 kills credited its a good chance it was the artillery that did it. Unless the guy's Johnny Rambo. :)

I do believe you can get that through the spotter. If at the end of the game you've got someobody at the back of the maps with a pair of binocular and 40 kills credited its a good chance it was the artillery that did it. Unless the guy's Johnny Rambo. :)

Nope. Spotter shows no kills unless he rifles them himself.

What Lanzfeld said. I just ran a test scenario, all infantry, rarity off, an FO and 4 scout teams (FO hainvg 14" and 12" naval guns at his command . . . heheheheh) against an all infantry German force on a map upon which I knew the German starting locations. Called in area naval gunfire covering the setup areas. Killed 235 enemy infantry during bombardment, then announced a ceasefire to check results. While I got overall credit for the kills, my FO that called in the naval gunfire got ZERO kills to his credit.

Steve

This would be terribly confusing, I think. You can't see the bases of the men without clicking on them, so it would be really slow checking through who is in need of attention and who isn't. There would have to be a "hide attended bodies" toggle, but I don't think that this is such a high priority for BFC... ;)

I'd be fine just having some visible bandages etc to show who received buddy aid and leave it at that. Having guys with stretchers or WIAs limping to the rear would be great but I think that's maybe for CM3 as it sounds like a lot of work, not that just adding bandages and so forth is a trival thing to do itself. I would imagine it's plenty of work to make it work right or effective.

I'd be fine just having some visible bandages etc to show who received buddy aid and leave it at that. Having guys with stretchers or WIAs limping to the rear would be great but I think that's maybe for CM3 as it sounds like a lot of work, not that just adding bandages and so forth is a trival thing to do itself. I would imagine it's plenty of work to make it work right or effective.

Yeh I tend to agree, I also think that a field strewn with the dead would take the shine of the game for me. Put it in I guess but let me toggle it off, if for no other reason than slowing down the game because of all the extra detail.

No no no!

This is one of the GREAT features of CMBN. Your troops dont shoot surrendered enemy but sometimes those that are surrendering are getting caught in the crossfire and take hits. Top notch realism.

Yeah I had this while doing the tutorial. One of my GIs was returning fire on the enemy and a German soldiers was directly in front of him, literally inches away. One round right in the chest at point blank range, if I didn't know the rest of what was going on I would have thought he'd executed him...and maybe reported it that way on Fox news.

Are you saying that after a CM:BN battle is over, you can't view the stats for various units, ie. artillery? Reviewing the battle to check the number of kills attained by each unit was vital to knowing whether you were playing the game correctly. If you didn't get many kills with your fire missions, you knew you needed to try something different next time. Why would they remove this key feature? (I hope they didn't, did they?)

Are you saying that after a CM:BN battle is over, you can't view the stats for various units, ie. artillery? Reviewing the battle to check the number of kills attained by each unit was vital to knowing whether you were playing the game correctly. If you didn't get many kills with your fire missions, you knew you needed to try something different next time. Why would they remove this key feature? (I hope they didn't, did they?)

Kill stats are in, except for FOs which is still being worked on AFAIK.

Why would they remove this key feature? (I hope they didn't, did they?)

It was never in the game, so it couldn't have been removed. But I do hope they add it, as it would be nice to know how effective your arty was without having to count the bodies.

Well, combat is disturbing and games that reinforce this message actually help to discourage us from war fighting, IMO. Let's keep it virtual!

Historically, surrendering in the heat of battle was very dicey and your chances of being shot out of hand were very high, on both sides. Representing this in the game isn't gratuitous, it's a sobering reminder of reality.

EDIT - I just saw above that it's crossfire...