Normandy seems to have struck a chord

The ground military action of Star Wars, as depicted in the movies, wouldn't fly as a combat game of the CM style. Ancient period tactics applied with 'modern' weapons. Eclectic mixes of tech level. It lacks verisimilitude because it's all designed to 'look cool' and have lots of whizz-bangery to it.

Imagine the whole new level of grogginess...

"I'm sorry, but there's no way my AT-AT should have died... it has 80mm of face-hardened plate at 17 degree angle, and it was mid-step, which grants an additional 3 degrees of slope, making an effective armor thickness of 97mm, while the velocity of that bomb-laden swallow was only 3 mph... Unless, of course, that was an african swallow was carrying a shaped charge Mk IV and coasting between wingbeats at the moment of impact..."

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm sorry, but there's no way my AT-AT should have died... it has 80mm of face-hardened plate at 17 degree angle, and it was mid-step, which grants an additional 3 degrees of slope, making an effective armor thickness of 97mm, while the velocity of that bomb-laden swallow was only 3 mph... Unless, of course, that was an african swallow was carrying a shaped charge Mk IV and coasting between wingbeats at the moment of impact..."

Oh yeah, come get some :P

Tbh even though none of it is 'real' it would be a nice change of pace from debating the same WW2 stuff over and over. See the SS thread for further details ;)

What I want to know is did Vader really order planets to be depopulated for certain experiments or was he simply following orders? :D

Unfortunately, Groggus Grognardi would have trouble in arguments with G. Handwavii, since there's no physical parameters to work with in the SW canon. It's all Unobtainium and Midichlorians.

In theory we would LOVE to do Space Lobsters, but it would require a ton of work and we're not sure when we'll have the time to do it.

Steve

I've been thinking about this for a really long time...may have even mentioned it before but you guys have the perfect setup for doing SCFI...get the rights to Harry Turtledove's World War series where the lizard dudes attack earth during WWII...LOL you'll have half the units already done!

Or use his idea as a jumping off point...do a little creative borrowing.

If you are really into movies that are actually good, look up Home Room. Never heard of it, right? Neither had I until I stumbled across it accidentally a couple of months back. An indie film written and directed by a guy who has this as almost his only credit. Might not be everybody's cup of tea, but if you are into seriously good direction and acting, well...this may be the best film I've ever seen. Should have had a pile of awards. I guess somewhere along the line the guy might have offended some of the big shots.

Michael

Was it a Talky? You do know they make those now? In COLOR, even!!!

Mord.

The sticking issue would the penetration factor of an Ewok's spear. Is it made of wood, flint, stone, titanium, Ewok ancestor bone? How does this measure up to Stormtrooper armor? Who knows!

Oh! I like that!

:D

It's like the ultimate slap in the face: death by Ewok stabbing. If Hitler, bin Laden, or Jar-Jar Binks were caught and faced sentencing? Exile to Endor. They would last three hours before furry death descended on them.

Just got Firefly on love film and at the moment haven't got huge expectation so anthing good will be a bonus.

As for tone of Sci-Fi combat, I'm another that really like Space above and beyond.

Battle LA got slamed by the critics but I didn't think it was bad.

I didn't know Ewoks fought at the Battle of Hoth! :D

If you had specified AT-ST, however... :P

Simpons comic shop guy voice...

Ehem, you will remember there is a scene setting shot just prior to Luke handing himself in where you can clearly see an AT-AT docked to lower left of the shuttle landing pad. It would be safe to assume that this vehicle may have been deployed in the Ewok insurrection that followed later in the movie even though there is no footage (hah! a toe cheese related pun) of said vehicle in combat.

This now leads us to one of those 'it was in the threatre but is there evidence of it being in combat?' discussions. Let us to the interwebs for answers!

Touché, Fenris, touché. :D

The unsuitability of AT-ATs to forest fighting makes it reasonable to reckon they weren't involved (except perhaps peripherally) in the ground part of the Battle of Endor, but...

"...but what does any of this have to do with Normandy?!?", I can hear the rest of you yelling. :P

Simpons comic shop guy voice...

Ehem, you will remember there is a scene setting shot just prior to Luke handing himself in where you can clearly see an AT-AT docked to lower left of the shuttle landing pad. It would be safe to assume that this vehicle may have been deployed in the Ewok insurrection that followed later in the movie even though there is no footage (hah! a toe cheese related pun) of said vehicle in combat.

This now leads us to one of those 'it was in the threatre but is there evidence of it being in combat?' discussions. Let us to the interwebs for answers!

It did not. :D

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/All_Terrain_Armored_Transport

At least one AT-AT patrolled the garrison base on the forest moon of Endor, but had no impact on the battle there, as AT-ATs were limited in their range by the dense foliage of the moon. As a result, smaller vehicles such as All Terrain Scout Transports saw far more use.[23] An AT-AT was originally going to be used in the Battle of Endor, but it ended up becoming crippled by Renegade Squadron, resulting in portions of the Galactic Empire trying to fix it.

Proved wrong by the interweb, sniff, there is no emoticon that truely shows how this upsets me. I shall retire to my fortress of solitude with a pack of cheerios to contemplate my repost.

...comic shop guy leaves the front row of the convention hall, his hooded cape hiding his troubled face

I tell you what, they gotta release the game soon. We all seem to be going a little bit round the bend.