Normandy seems to have struck a chord

The amount of traffic in this forum seems almost like a sideshow and that Normandy/WWII has really struck a chord with BF customers. One can only hope that Battlefront takes notice and continues to explore WWII with this engine .

I would definitely buy more Combat Mission for WWII and would love to see MOD's for the new engine that go beyond basic BMP and Scenario files. The X-Plane flight simulator, for instance (which is developed by a very small company), provides 3rd party developers an API so that they can develop all sorts of additional functionality.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Wars version would be awesome.

Aaaaarrrrghhhhhh! NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Nononononnono...

Sorry. Mention of that horrible blight on the consciousness of the viewing public tends to override my meds, you see. I can't always be held responsible for broken furniture or personal injuries inflicted at such times. Hope you understand.

Michael

Aaaaarrrrghhhhhh! NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Nononononnono...

Sorry. Mention of that horrible blight on the consciousness of the viewing public tends to override my meds, you see. I can't always be held responsible for broken furniture or personal injuries inflicted at such times. Hope you understand.

Michael

LOL! Growing up reading lots of Sci-Fi, I would be happy if they did a future CM game based on David Drake's "Hammer's Slammers", a mercenary armored regiment, with hover tanks, plasma guns, etc., that would travel to different planets to fight for the highest bidder.

What's wrong with Star Wars M. Emrys? I'm not talking about the movies either...that I can see people having convulsions over but I've always found the whole Star Wars franchise pretty cool in how well fleshed out it is.

I also would love to see a Star Wars mod or any sci-fi theme tbh played out. Odd saying this but I'd like to see something I could realistically play out using regular troops and equipment of various factions with real numbers (sorta) backing it up.

Star Wars? Don't get me started. :D A couple of weeks ago I introduced my wife to 'Midnight Cowboy' and 'The Graduate' and she loved them. A while back, she also loved the first two Godfather movies. Hollywood was making great movies until Star Wars came along. Hell, even the next James Bond movie was 'Moonraker' and it had 'Star War' effects for goodness sake! It took a long time for Hollywood to start producing first-class, story-driven movies without special effects for adults. If a movie was to make money, it had to be like Star Wars.

BTW, I actually enjoyed most of the Star Wars series (definitely NOT 'Return of the Jedi' and the atrocious Jaja Binks one - I can't remember it's name because it was so bl00dy awful!). I just didn't want every movie I went to see to be influenced by them...

Star Wars? Don't get me started. :D A couple of weeks ago I introduced my wife to 'Midnight Cowboy' and 'The Graduate' and she loved them. A while back, she also loved the first two Godfather movies. Hollywood was making great movies until Star Wars came along. Hell, even the next James Bond movie was 'Moonraker' and it had 'Star War' effects for goodness sake! It took a long time for Hollywood to start producing first-class, story-driven movies without special effects for adults. If a movie was to make money, it had to be like Star Wars.

BTW, I actually enjoyed most of the Star Wars series (definitely NOT 'Return of the Jedi' and the atrocious Jaja Binks one - I can't remember it's name because it was so bl00dy awful!). I just didn't want every movie I went to see to be influenced by them...

Er, how old is the missus? 16? :D

Actually, mine is formerly from Ukraine: when she got here she didn't even know who John Wayne was, let alone other US actors. But now she can almost recite the Godfather movies from memory. Still doesn't cotton to John Wayne, though...

*shrug* Just because one isn't anti-Star Wars doesn't mean one dislikes for-grownups movies which are entirely SFX-free. For that matter, it also doesn't (necessarily) mean one is anti-Star Trek. :D

For instance, I love Star Wars (I just wish George Lucas hadn't been the one to direct almost all the movies), but I also love Akira Kurosawa's work, Alfred Hitchcock, Fritz Lang, et al.

My wife is 37 but she's Indonesian. Here, they only really see the Hollywood blockbusters in the cinemas and on TV and movies like 'Point Blank' (the Lee Marvin version) and even the original 'Dirty Harry' never air on TV because they're too old. Try getting them to watch a Black and White movie... although my wife loved 'Casablanca' and 'Arsenic and Old Lace' when I finally persuaded her to watch B&W too

I enjoy Star Wars and many other sci-fi/fantasy themed things for the simple reason that none of it is based on historical fact. That said, when I say I wouldn't mind seeing a sci-fi based mod I mean involving future tech but based on some sort of established rules. Oh, and no mythical stuff like being able to toss around the futures equivelent of Panthers across the field just by waving your fingers all Yoda-ass like on it. Cool to see, yeah probably...fun to have to wargame someone with a platoon of Yodas, yeah probably not. I mean the only defense I can think of would be TubeGuy.

I saw Return of the Jedi while under the influence of certain organic substances. During the scene with all the rodent midgets attacking the stormtroopers my buddy leans over and whispers "Sir! Sir! we're being attacked by Muppets". I had to get up and leave, I just couldn't stop laughing. Have never been able to watch a star wars movie since.

I saw Return of the Jedi while under the influence of certain organic substances. During the scene with all the rodent midgets attacking the stormtroopers my buddy leans over and whispers "Sir! Sir! we're being attacked by Muppets". I had to get up and leave...

and a good place it was to leave as well. I was loving it up until they went to Endor, and then... a legion of the Empire's finest, taken out by a bunch of teddy bears armed with sticks and stones. Give me strength...

The ground military action of Star Wars, as depicted in the movies, wouldn't fly as a combat game of the CM style. Ancient period tactics applied with 'modern' weapons. Eclectic mixes of tech level. It lacks verisimilitude because it's all designed to 'look cool' and have lots of whizz-bangery to it.

I'm sure it works fine as a 'traditional' RTS-style game where cover and concealment are pretty rudimentary.

I personally don't really care for the western front, I'd much rather have the eastern front.

Can you say why that is, LemoN? I've personally felt the opposite. I think mostly because I don't feel any connection to the east. I've no German ancestry, nor Russian, and I've never been further east in Europe than Romania, whereas half my Grandfathers died in France (pre-Dunkirk) and family holidays have often been to northern France.

I enjoyed playing CM:BB, but didn't get the same feeling playing it. I wonder if it's partly also because the winners of the Ostfront ended up being the enemy of my childhood and youth, so I didn't want the Russians to win, but I didn't want the Germans to win either, cos they wuz Bad.

I'm Austrian and I had 4 relatives die on the Eastern front, one during the Poland campaign in '39, one during Barbarossa during the Brest siege and two in unknown locations on the Eastern front. I had something along the lines of 5-6 relatives serve in the 45.ID, based in Linz, my hometown.

The reason why I'm not interested in the Western Front is that it was a tiny side scenario compared to the gigantic meat-grinder called the Eastern Front.

Insignia of the 45.ID

Divisionsabzeichen_45._Infanterie-Division.jpg

Old coat of arms of my City

170px-Historisches_Linzer_Wappen.png

LOL! Growing up reading lots of Sci-Fi, I would be happy if they did a future CM game based on David Drake's "Hammer's Slammers", a mercenary armored regiment, with hover tanks, plasma guns, etc., that would travel to different planets to fight for the highest bidder.

I read the first couple of stories in that series. Then it became too much of a muchness and I dropped it.

Michael

Must be a Star Trek fan. :D

Actually I am a bit of a Firefly/Serenity fan. Completely unrealistic, but good fun anyway. How can you dislike a series with so many very sexy ladies?

BTW, has anybody heard anything about rumors of a possible sequel to Serenity?

Michael

Actually I am a bit of a Firefly/Serenity fan. Completely unrealistic, but good fun anyway. How can you dislike a series with so many very sexy ladies?

BTW, has anybody heard anything about rumors of a possible sequel to Serenity?

Michael

Cancelling the Firefly show has to be up there with one of the stupidest decisions ever made.

Haven't heard any rumors with substance.

It took a long time for Hollywood to start producing first-class, story-driven movies without special effects for adults.

If you are really into movies that are actually good, look up Home Room. Never heard of it, right? Neither had I until I stumbled across it accidentally a couple of months back. An indie film written and directed by a guy who has this as almost his only credit. Might not be everybody's cup of tea, but if you are into seriously good direction and acting, well...this may be the best film I've ever seen. Should have had a pile of awards. I guess somewhere along the line the guy might have offended some of the big shots.

Michael