Normandy seems to have struck a chord

We can't all blame it on Hollywood guys. The sad truth is Hollywood churns out whatever makes money and they make money by people buying and going to go see what they like. There have been plenty of first class story driven movies without special effects over the last couple of years...they just don't rake in cash like the stuff you are poking fun at. Nothing wrong with that but I wouldn't go so far as to pin this all on Hollywood :P For the record I can't stand Hollywood myself or many of its 'citizens'.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the first couple of stories in that series. Then it became too much of a muchness and I dropped it.

Michael

True! It did seem to get pretty repetitive after a while. But the first book is a classic! If I remember right, I think there was a board game made on it when I was a kid. Of course, today, there wouldn't be many people that have even heard about it to bother making a game based on it.

We can't all blame it on Hollywood guys. The sad truth is Hollywood churns out whatever makes money and they make money by people buying and going to go see what they like. There have been plenty of first class story driven movies without special effects over the last couple of years...they just don't rake in cash like the stuff you are poking fun at. Nothing wrong with that but I wouldn't go so far as to pin this all on Hollywood :P For the record I can't stand Hollywood myself or many of its 'citizens'.

I do remember hearing some stuff on the old tv show "WKRP in Cincinnati" and how it was one of the top shows at the time, but some of the executives at the network that it played on, had personal problems with the guy who created the show, so they ended up cancelling it- even though it was one of their top shows. I think a lot of times it's not really about money but about people throwing their weight around. That goes for government, and most any other large organizations, where some people have a lot of power.

Actually I am a bit of a Firefly/Serenity fan. Completely unrealistic, but good fun anyway. How can you dislike a series with so many very sexy ladies?

BTW, has anybody heard anything about rumors of a possible sequel to Serenity?

Michael

Cowboys in space ? You are kidding right?

As for a sequel, Ah plumb reckon they all mosyed on outta har

If you are really into movies that are actually good, look up Home Room. Never heard of it, right?

Right. I'm unlikely to find a copy of it here in Indonesia although you just never know what you'll find in a video store here. But when I'm back in the UK later this year I'll look out for it. Or I'll check it out on Amazon.UK the next time I'm making an order.

Cheers.

Cancelling the Firefly show has to be up there with one of the stupidest decisions ever made.

Showing the fourth episode first and assuming people would understand what the hell was going on and who these people were and how they related to one another ranks right up there, though. Loved Firefly.

I've watch the whole series, only thing I haven't seen was that last movie that I assume wraps up the lose ends myself. I though it was a great show and watched it after some recommendations. Same thing, couldn't believe they'd cancel it as it had something going for it.

and no, I mean other than Inara Serra :P

"Firefly" is a truly great series that deserved many more years than the one they gave it.

Another from about a dozen years ago was "Space Above and Beyond" I really enjoyed it but was left hanging when they cancelled it after a year.

I don't watch a lot of tv, so I really get into the few things I like and it seems that anything I like has a short life!

I haven't, the closest thing was an interview with the guy from castle talking about if he magically had a whole lot of money he would pay for the series to start up again.

Sadly, this was just him being polite...

If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to Firefly, make it on my own, and distribute it on the Internet.

After he said that, fans decided to start donating money in hopes that, with enough, Nathan Fillion would indeed buy the rights and get Firefly back to the fans.

His comments regarding the donations:

“It’s beautiful to dream of more Firefly, but PLEASE DON’T SEND ANY MONEY. Just keep being great Browncoats, which you are!”

What followed was a (I've been told) crap movie using the Firefly world as it's backdrop. This movie was "blessed" by Joss Whedon, but it was fan-made and not for profit (money being disbursed between a number of charities).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1593655/

This link explains it all a bit better, but as a fellow fan I felt it was my duty to share this sad news.

http://www.unstoppablesignals.com/hnbf

Must watch:

Steve

That was awesome!! :D Thanks for the link.

By chance do you know if the rest of the show is worth watching?

Oh yeah, must stay on topic...

So, where's the demo? :P

The problem with Sci-Fi series is that they are soooooo expensive and you need to do it right for it to look any good.

Even the above mentioned "Space Above and Beyond" had to be filmed in Oz to apportion the cost into the opening of the new FOX studios on the Gold Coast, Look for the RAAF F/A-18's in the pilot episode !

Oh, I can do you one better. A couple of months ago a bunch of us watched all 14 episodes and Serenity all in one day. We started at 8 in the morning and went straight on until about 10pm. Much high quality beer and eats were consumed in the process. It was some powerful shiny :)

Must watch:

Steve

My wife and I are going to watch the whole series again over the summer during her lull in new TV watching (now that most series are wrapping up for the year). Shiny, indeed.

I like Castle - it's fluff, but it has some great one liners, and the interplay between Nathan Fillion's Castle and Detective Beckett is pretty well done in my opinion.

But it's not sci-fi, and it's not WW2, so I'll not derail this any further!

No but it is the same actor isn't it ?

Yes indeed. He was also in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But bringing that up may derail this even more, so I won't.

Actors play multiple roles? No, I demand that once you play a character I like you never work again.

As for the sci-fi CM:

Not sure how many people remember this, but in BFCs 'unofficial' thinking of what the first five titles would be, one was going to be 'sci-fi' (space lobsters). I'm pretty sure that idea got nixed as I had to go back six years to find the source.

From Winecape's synopsis thread

I can state that we have an unofficial list of our Top 5 subject matter for CMx2. As I've stated pretty clearly, not all are WWII I'll at least go so far as to say that contemporary (i.e. current/near future) combat is on there as well as Space Lobsters. And no... I am NOT kidding about the latter.

If I remember correctly, but I might be off on this, BFC was talking in very early stages of development (at least early we were privy to) about the engine being used for pre-20th century games (American Civil War as an example), but I believe the answer was the engine could technically do it, it just wouldn't work the way people would want.

<snip>

That was awesome!! :D Thanks for the link.

By chance do you know if the rest of the show is worth watching?

<snip>

As others have posted, "Castle" is great! If I could only watch one current TV show, "Castle" would be my pick (I'm also one of the old "Firefly" fans). :)

As per the original topic, WWII is what I'm excited about, more so than Normandy itself ... CM:BB is my favorite CM, but eagerly looking forward to CM:BN.

Ah....Space Lobsters of DOOM. I to yearn for the ability to squash alien bugs.

There are several SF areas we could go to. Drake's "Slammers", Pournvilles Capt Falkenberg, 40K, you could even go with a "Battle for LA" theme. Heck with teh WW2 setting you could easily use Harry Turtledove's books the "WorldWar" series. Imagine fighting modern armor, artillery and aircraft with WW2 weapons...OUTSTANDING!!

Heck with teh WW2 setting you could easily use Harry Turtledove's books the "WorldWar" series. Imagine fighting modern armor, artillery and aircraft with WW2 weapons...OUTSTANDING!!

Reading another thread about the integration of modules and games, it occurred to me that there should be some scope for bringing SF content into the WW2 game, should that, erm, idiom appeal as a product, and the thought of those very books crossed my mind... :)