Is this the game for seniors?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29, turning 30 on May 18th. :(

I still enjoy games like Starcraft(2), CoH and the occasional mindless FPS. Games like CM have much more depth than anything else out there and that is appealing to me right now as well. World of Warcraft has lots of depth in a different way, but I just don't play that enough anymore to justify the monthly fee, so I don't. :)

I am 53 and have been playing war games since S&T came out in 1971.... Actually use to hang out at SPI in NYC in 1973-74... Played Combat Command S&T #30 against the infamous James F. Dunnigan back in 74... "Mr Jim" beat da pants off me... :)

No, kidding....IIRC the SPI offices were on Park Ave, downtown? I used to drop in there from time to time as well. Jim Dunnigan and Redmon Simonsen were always around testing out new games. I'm 65 and I worked in Manhattan when SPI was in its heyday. I also own original copies of AH Gettysburg and Tactics II and of course SL and ASL. Ive been playing wargames in one form or another since I was 15.

We must have just missed each other: I live in Manhattan 75-79 and was a regular at SPI. I also was (briefly the #1 computer game author in NYC:( please someone write in to say they remember GrailQuest!!)

Sorry I don't remember GrailQuest...if it wasn't a non-fantasy war game I wouldn't have played it. Did you write games for SPI, or for their magazine issues?

The one game I always wanted to play was "Highway to the Reich" It was so huge that all the maps when put together covered my basement floor. I could never get anyone to play it with me. I loved the map. I used to just push the pieces around by myself, and try to play solitaire. Another one of their great games, was "Central Front", another huge game. IT came out in three or four seperate games, or you could put them altogether for a campaign game. I still have that one.

No, kidding....IIRC the SPI offices were on Park Ave, downtown? I used to drop in there from time to time as well. Jim Dunnigan and Redmon Simonsen were always around testing out new games.

We must have just missed each other: I live in Manhattan 75-79 and was a regular at SPI. I also was (briefly the #1 computer game author in NYC please someone write in to say they remember GrailQuest!!)

SPI offices were on 23rd near Park Ave on the 5th Floor IIRC.... I remember Redmon also... do you remember 'Playtest Saturdays'. They had them once every 4-6 weeks. A lot of strange characters back then (I guess I fit that image now :) ) I use to be the tall skinny kid with long hair and the baseball hat... Hell I hung out there when I was 14-17 yrs old...

Sorry I don't remember GrailQuest, unless it is a DOS game from like 1989 or 90 or so... and if it is, then some guys at my workplace in Northern VA at the time use to play it early in the morning..

The first time I played CMBO, all I could think was "Where was this in 1975"... :)

At 53 I figure I will be 55 when I finally come up for air after getting CM:BN... bring it on...

Another one of their great games, was "Central Front", another huge game. IT came out in three or four seperate games, or you could put them altogether for a campaign game. I still have that one.

Was that the one that had the BAOR module ?

I absolutely loved that game design. To my mind no other series has captured modern warfare quite so well with arty and air and supply etc all neatly wrapped into an easily playable package. Maps were pretty Gucci too as I recall.

I see there is a VASSL Module for it now.

SPI offices were on 23rd near Park Ave on the 5th Floor IIRC.... I remember Redmon also... do you remember 'Playtest Saturdays'. They had them once every 4-6 weeks. A lot of strange characters back then (I guess I fit that image now :) ) I use to be the tall skinny kid with long hair and the baseball hat... Hell I hung out there when I was 14-17 yrs old...

Sorry I don't remember GrailQuest, unless it is a DOS game from like 1989 or 90 or so... and if it is, then some guys at my workplace in Northern VA at the time use to play it early in the morning..

The first time I played CMBO, all I could think was "Where was this in 1975"... :)

At 53 I figure I will be 55 when I finally come up for air after getting CM:BN... bring it on...

Never went to a Saturday thing, but in their monthly magazine/w game included, they always had surveys and questionnaires, trying to find out what the readership wanted as far as new games. They were into everything back in the 70s and 80s, no genre was too tough to tackle. It was heady stuff, especially since "Panzerblitz" and "Panzerleader" were just coming out as well. As the TRS80 and Commadore64 became popular loads of people could see they were perfect platforms for boardgames. CMBO was the game I had waited for most of my life.

"...a group of hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings demand to learn the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything from the supercomputer, Deep Thought, specially built for this purpose. It takes Deep Thought 7½ million years to compute and check the answer, which turns out to be 42."

Unfortunately, The Ultimate Question itself, is unknown.

Was that the one that had the BAOR module ?

I absolutely loved that game design. To my mind no other series has captured modern warfare quite so well with arty and air and supply etc all neatly wrapped into an easily playable package. Maps were pretty Gucci too as I recall.

I see there is a VASSL Module for it now.

Right, also HOF GAP and 5th Corps were the other components. Hof Gap came out in a boxed version. BAOR and 5th Corps were included in the monthly magazine. It came out in 1980. Maps are still beautiful to look at.

I always wanted to go to those SPI tests, but my parents wouldn't let me go into the city at night (I was in my early teens then too -- I think the fact that they called them game "orgies" had something to do with it). Had to content myself with my bimonthly game/magazine fix through the early 70s...I think I spent more time setting the games up and studying them then I actually did playing them, for lack of live opponents.

Thank heaven for Cyberboar, the web, and Battlefront's CMBN! Glad to see y'all here.

Not quite a "senior" yet but creeping up on 44.

And since we're talking about it:

I started (young) wargaming mid-70's with Avalon Hill/SPI etc boardgames. IIRC the first "real" WWII boardgame I played was Tactics II.

Friend and I used to even makeour own games with construction paper chits, etc and as much historical research/already available rule sets that we could get our hands on. Hell, we built a full-on gaming layout on a 8x4 slab of plywood and gamed with miniatures (Airfix etal, usually authentically painted and the whole bit)---all sorts of different eras, from Napoleonic to US Civil War to WWII.

Yeah, our peers figured we were pretty weird.

Our Holy Grail had to be Squad Leader, and when Combat Mission finally came along my first thought was "yes, finally....Squad Leader without the need to constantly consult the 800 page rule book!"

Areithi Cymraeg?

Or are you using the on-line translators? It gets pretty obvious after a whiel

I'm afraid, i am cheating my friend and using a translator. I do like the welsh though cos they supplied Rugby League with some truly magnificent players.

Ah yes: Playtest Saturdays. Making excuses to everyone you knew as to why you were out of contact all day! Grailquest was for Commodore PET only: a massive 32K game that took 30 minutes to load from tape and another 30 minutes to generate a random map. You really had to want to play a game in those days!

"...a group of hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings demand to learn the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything from the supercomputer, Deep Thought, specially built for this purpose. It takes Deep Thought 7½ million years to compute and check the answer, which turns out to be 42."

Unfortunately, The Ultimate Question itself, is unknown.

The question, as posed to Deep Thought, was what is 9 times 6?

Union surely ?

Have to agree here, what's League ? A sort of stop-start version of Rugby Union Pffffff

Have been playing wargames since 1990 beginning with Napoleonics figures. Now approaching 44 and still going strong. Much gratitude is owed to BattleFront for sticking to the more "niche" realistic wargames area.

Have to agree here, what's League ? A sort of stop-start version of Rugby Union Pffffff

Have been playing wargames since 1990 beginning with Napoleonics figures. Now approaching 44 and still going strong. Much gratitude is owed to BattleFront for sticking to the more "niche" realistic wargames area.

Union the only game in the world were the supporters handle the ball more times than the players.