Is this the game for seniors?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I turn 'thirty ten' in a couple of months. Started with tabletop wargaming way back when in the early 80s (mostly medieval stuff, with some Warhammer thrown in for geeky good measure), but haven't touched a lead figure or paint brush for 20 years.

Somehow I missed CMBO but jumped in with CMBB just before the release of CMAK, and have been hooked ever since - CMSF plus all the modules and CMA have kept me happy for the last 4 years. Suffice to say, CMBN is eagerly anticipated.

Still, I remember when all this was fields...

49 and still counting!

I got interested in wargames pretty late, uhm, 1980, I think. My first games were AH Starship Troopers, then Panzer Leader and later, obviously Squad Leader. BTW, I agree that SPI BAOR was a pretty good game. I still have my copy.

As a gamer I was lucky because there was a friend of mine living in my same apartment block and with my same insane hobby. The only problem was that he was a much more better tactician than me so 9 games out of 10 ended with my side trasformed in minced meat.

Starded playing on pc with CMAK. As somebody else said, it is like having SL with no space problems and no need to study a enormous amount of rules. My dream of 20 years ago turned reality!:)

67, so not quite the oldest I suppose. I started playing "real" wargames with Stalingrad in the summer of 1964, so not quite the earliest there either. However, I can truthfully claim to have had a modest collection of lead and plastic soldiers, tanks, guns, and assorted additional impedimenta at the time of the Korean War, so that might count for something. I didn't know diddly about tactics at the time though; that didn't come for another decade. And I have been registered on this forum longer than perhaps a dozen or so folks who might still be around.

Michael

I have lurked here since CM/BO but would be a Junior Member or Member if I hadn't lost my old log in. How's that for a senior moment?

I am 54 (Dear God how did that happen?). I have been playing board wargames since 1976 (I have about 200 in my collection). Combat Mission just seems the culmination of the tactical board games I have played over the years.

I'm 55. I've played war games since I was 10 (Bismarck, Gettysburg) which would have been in 1965, now that I think about it. I've played all the CM stuff since 2004 or so.

Combat mission has had some great moments for me over the last few years.

67, so not quite the oldest I suppose. I started playing "real" wargames with Stalingrad in the summer of 1964, so not quite the earliest there either. However, I can truthfully claim to have had a modest collection of lead and plastic soldiers, tanks, guns, and assorted additional impedimenta at the time of the Korean War, so that might count for something. I didn't know diddly about tactics at the time though; that didn't come for another decade. And I have been registered on this forum longer than perhaps a dozen or so folks who might still be around.

Michael

Who could have guessed that you were a genuine geezer!! Ha, I'm tickled.

After seeing this thread, I thought I'd stop lurking and actually post, so here goes...

I was 48 last week, wondering where the last 30 years went to. I looked under the bed and down the back of the sofa but it wasn't there.

I've been into wargaming since the mid 70's, started with 1/300 scale tanks and figures then moved to 00 scale, using the rules from Charles Grant's Battle:Practical Wargaming, which I picked up in the local library. I've played a lot of strategy games over the years and have been into computing since the early 80s. Did the Vic-20 really have 5k of RAM, 3k usable? The good ol days eh?

I played CMBO for a long time, along with the Close Combat series, Steel Panthers etc, but gradually slid into playing MMOs such as Asheron's Call, World of Warcraft, and most recently Lord of the Rings Online. I play a few online shooters such as Battlefield and Operation Flashpoint on XBOX, but these days my eyes are old and bent, and my reaction time is measured in days.

I have 4 cats and a very tolerant Canadian wife who keeps me in check.

My name is Chaos and I'm a strategy-gameaholic.