Is this the game for seniors?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, if you check out the 3rd Video AAR viewer statistics, with 4644 views, the video has been most popular with the following demographics:

Male, 45-54

Male, 35-44

Male, 55-64

...and especially with Finns, only then USA and UK, and then Sweden.

Repeated viewing does help with some people - or nationalities : )

After seeing this thread, I thought I'd stop lurking and actually post, so here goes...

Yet another lurker ... I'm 59 and first played Avalon Hill's Gettysburg way back in the late sixties. Before that it was tabletops and airfix figures. (Any Brits remember Donald Featherstone?) Like many others I've been around Battlefront since CMBO but lost my original log in details. Tried CMSF demo, but can't get into modern warfare. Like many others, TOW doesn't really work for me - too frenetic.

I had hoped that CMBN or at least the demo might be out for the royal wedding/bank holiday weekend. Ah well .... back to reading the manual.

I've been a fan of wargames ever since I had some BattleBooks (I think that is what they were called) back in 1980 when I was 6. They were about 64 pages, large, hardbound, that had some history and then a little game about every 8-10 pages. Very fun. Wish I still had them or could even remember what the actual names were. They had battle books for other types of military history as well.

I picked up CMBO purely by chance in 2001 (from a cash converters bargain bin). I didn't have a great deal of wargaming experience before that apart from the Close Combat series and some fun times at high school with AH's Fortress Europa and The Gamers' Stalingrad Pocket.

I'm very glad I walked into that Cash Converters store that day. I still play CMx1 via LAN regularly (2-3 continuous whole days every month) with the same guy I played against the very day we got the game back to my student flat. It's been a good ten years.

42 on Sunday...and with a new baby boy. Our first. I feel 60 now.

I was from a small town in Nebraska so wargaming in my early years involved plastic green army men, homemade rules and dice. I was then lucky enough to stumble upon B-17 Queen of the Skies, and since many of my mates weren't into gaming the solitare life was for me. Ambush (and all the modules) keep me entertained through college. I did get Up Front but never could find anyone to play...God I loved just looking at that game.

After college I crossed paths with that insufferable cur Cull and Squad Leader became part of my rotation, as well as Hornet Leader. Then CMBO dropped and I thought that was the apex of all that was good and holy. Now this.

I'm giddy.

How many times have I told you? It's Mr. Insufferable Cur to you.

Ah good ol' "B-17"...still one of my all-time favorite solitaire games. So pissed that I misplaced my original.

I can't remember now: was "Ambush" the one with the slidey-card thingies?

I should add that vcents gets credit for introducing me to CM, and he's fully aware that the eternal debt I owe him for that is pretty much the only reason I continue to tolerate him.

42 on Sunday...and with a new baby boy. Our first. I feel 60 now.

I was from a small town in Nebraska so wargaming in my early years involved plastic green army men, homemade rules and dice. I was then lucky enough to stumble upon B-17 Queen of the Skies, and since many of my mates weren't into gaming the solitare life was for me. Ambush (and all the modules) keep me entertained through college. I did get Up Front but never could find anyone to play...God I loved just looking at that game.

After college I crossed paths with that insufferable cur Cull and Squad Leader became part of my rotation, as well as Hornet Leader. Then CMBO dropped and I thought that was the apex of all that was good and holy. Now this.

I'm giddy.

I loved B-17 and Ambush! Up Front, however, truly was an incredible game! I had something like 75 Avalon Hill/Victory games but that, Midway, and Napoleon, with the wooden blocks were my favorites!

I cut my wargaming teeth back in the fifties with a ruler, dice, and lead Napoleonic miniatures from FAO Schwarz, then moved on to AH's Tactics II and Gettysburg. Played lots of CMBO and CMBB years ago, but went Mac in more recent times and had to leave CM behind.

My little brother, Gregg, used to play test for SPI in the 1970-72 timeframe. Maybe some of you guys knew him? He's recently gone, but not before he told me about the upcoming release of CMBN for the Mac. I'll be ordering as soon as I'm comfortable it'll run reasonably well with a 256MB Radeon HD2600. I know that meets min spec, but....

cheers

skip

Avalon Hill anything, back in those days. Tobruk & Africa Korps, then ASL (tutored by my oldest brother - I'm 41 now.) Heck, he still has the 3-booklet box set that was the original Dungeons & Dragons (complete w/Gary Gygax terrible illustrations.)

Vcents - congrats on your boy. Mine are 4 and 2.5 respectively - it's incredible how fast time passes with children. And so little time for CM:BN... but if you're interested in a 'Daddy Time' WEGO battle, let me know...

Speaking of WEGO - this may be a repeat, as I haven't read every last thread here - but what the youngsters don't get is the 'quality factor'. This isn't just about micro-managing. While real-time may leverage a reaction advantage over the WEGO's AI, I get to capture all those dramatic, film-worthy moments that click-heads miss.

Example: Playing CM:SF demo in order to get a grip for CM:BN, using the 'Going to Town' battle. Defending as the Syrians. Largely getting my a$$ handed to me via the Stryker convoy armed w/40mm grenade launchers. Toward the end of my annihilation, while reviewing some of the small-arm action within various buildings, I see watch a lone Syrian Special Forces squad leader. He's on the bottom floor of a 3-story building, as a US squad comes charging through the door. And he manages to gun down 3 soldiers before succumbing to a grenade while reloading his weapon.

Love the tactical element. Love the realism. But those hidden moments of battle-soaked drama that go unseen without WEGO - that's pure gold for this Battlefront fan. It's not just winning or losing, it's the story that unfolds over each 60 second turn.

Hey hey! Hows my favourite Austrian? :D Were gonna have to have a few PBEM's soon buddy!

Ah, doing fine, can't wait for this gem to be released!

Oh and I don't play PBEM. It's a shame that there's no TCP/IP WEGO in CM:BN. :(

So at the end of the day, multiplayer will probably be a no-go for me in CM:BN as I have no incentive to play either PBEM or real time.