Is this the game for seniors?

Considering how many of the people have been on the CM forums for a decade, I wonder if the average age is well above the typical computer gamer? I am 68 and have been playing various forms of war games since the early 70s (even earlier if you count the old board game with numbered counters, mines and a spy)

How about the rest of you: obviously unless you started playing in diapers most must be at least late 20s or 30s.

Come to think of it, I may still be playing when diapers become necessary again

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the rest of you: obviously unless you started playing in diapers most must be at least late 20s or 30s.

I hear Lisa Nowak is also a Combat Mission fan...

FWIW, if you check out the 3rd Video AAR viewer statistics, with 4644 views, the video has been most popular with the following demographics:

Male, 45-54

Male, 35-44

Male, 55-64

...and especially with Finns, only then USA and UK, and then Sweden.

I'm younger than that but at least I'm from Finland, so I match with half of the core audience.

I have lurked here since CM/BO but would be a Junior Member or Member if I hadn't lost my old log in. How's that for a senior moment?

I am 54 (Dear God how did that happen?). I have been playing board wargames since 1976 (I have about 200 in my collection). Combat Mission just seems the culmination of the tactical board games I have played over the years.

Considering how many of the people have been on the CM forums for a decade, I wonder if the average age is well above the typical computer gamer? I am 68 and have been playing various forms of war games since the early 70s (even earlier if you count the old board game with numbered counters, mines and a spy)

depends on how many cats you own...

I had heard that Welsh people were not allowed to own a copy ;-p

Just turned 60 myself. Glad to see some younger folks are also interested in this game, though I suspect a very large percentage of players are close to middle age or older.

On a related note. I recently installed CM:SF on my rig and have to admit to having trouble reading the text on my 30" lcd. From what I gather, the UI is going to be pretty much the same in CM:BN. I hope the developers give some serious consideration to making the font adjustable for those of us with aging eyes.

After all, it is us older folks who have the disposable income to spend on humungous monitors.:D

I'm 19, I guess that makes me the young'un. First strategy game I played was the Close Combat II: A Bridge Too Far demo. I was around eight years old, the game had already been out for a year or two, but I thought it was really cool. Before then I hated the look of what I called "top down" games and preferred Quake, so Close Combat opened my eyes to strategy.

50 at the start of July... exactly the same age to the day as the late Princess Diana.

Started playing games at about 13 and my first was Oil War that came with SPI's Strategy & Tactics.

Oddly enough I bought a DVD of PDf's of 100 copies of S&T's a week or too ago and to be honest reading back they seem to have stood the test of time.

One of my all time favourite paper and card games was RAID and to be honest if it hand't been for that along with Patrol and Sniper I would probably never have been into CMBO.

I never got into Squad leader because although it looked and felt a better game it never flowed as well for me. Where as raid and things like fire fight had Move/Counter Move, and alternating fire between sides, Squad leader stuck with one side did everything with everyone and then the other player had their turn.

Maybe its being Scots.... I like football where the ball is always in play everyone in both sides is always involved and the play switches from end to end as opposed to NFL where one side attacks and the other defends and half the time half the team stands on the touchline watching.

Not a great theory just a thought.

Peter.

Geez, we are a bunch of old farts on this site! :D

I'm here to tell you 56 is the new 56.

There's a whole generation who grew up on Tamiya kits and Steve Zaloga reference books. I'm not sure we're the game's primary demographic but we seem to be a bigger slice of the pie than with most other games.

I am 53 and have been playing war games since S&T came out in 1971.... Actually use to hang out at SPI in NYC in 1973-74... Played Combat Command S&T #30 against the infamous James F. Dunnigan back in 74... "Mr Jim" beat da pants off me... :)

We must have just missed each other: I live in Manhattan 75-79 and was a regular at SPI. I also was (briefly the #1 computer game author in NYC:( please someone write in to say they remember GrailQuest!!)