Scenario Discussions

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd propably start with the baby steps in the editor (Never really mastered the editor in CM:SF).

My goal would be designing some defense scenarios, company sized units or less for defender, my main objective being realistic, playable but not necesarily historic battles.

playability and replayability would be the key here.

Staffan

Another warning to the overly-ambitious scenario designer, bigger is not always better. For an infantry battle especially a 2x2km+ map often means going on a long dull walk before finally fighting over the usual 500mx500m patch of ground. Its especially embarrassing when the two maneuvering armies entirely miss eachother! :D

I am tinkering with a CMBN scenario based around one of my favourite Avalon Hill Panzer Leader scenarios (Situation no. 8, Marieulles), one which has a very uneven force balance, but balanced victory conditions. This scenario gave me a taste for "play the cards you are given", which I miss in most war games.

The interesting thing for me when starting to do the research on this was that the scenario was a lot bigger than I thought it was, as in Panzer Leader each marker is a platoon. So three 88 anti-tank markers turn out to represent 12 guns and the scenario becomes a lot bigger than I originally anticipated.

So I'll be investigating taking a piece of it and see if I can't make a good small scale scenario.

Still have all the Advanced Squad Leader map boards and battle sets. Analog gaming at its finest.. when a cat walking across a table could change the course of a war.

I have the books and reference materiels in boxes somewhere to make historical scenarios, but there are folks out there that would blow me away at design and implementation. I will let them at it and enjoy the fruits of their labors of love.

Maps, maps and more maps for me for now. Already working on sketches and trying to find my CMBB disc so I can look at my old maps.

I prefer making larger maps that can then be chopped as needed by the consumer. Once the tools are fully understood I will probably make a full-monty max-size map with various terrains and possible objectives just for fun.

Small unit numbers on large maps is nice if the set up zones and objectives are placed intelligently. 4km x 4km map with objectives in the center and the set up zones are 2km+ in from the edges in small boxes at 45 degrees may be fun. Keep the timer short, forces small, and objectives clear. No one will wander off for a "flanking attack".

Doing this all but eliminates any calls of gamey bastageness, as the edges are too far away from either setups or objectives to be meaningful.

It also helps with the small map visual disadvantage, where everything gets plain and green so close to anywhere that immersion is lost. larger maps just look nicer for the people in the fight.

Knowing.. just like a RL commander... that you "could" go off in any direction is not the same as being able to do it with the forces and mission at hand.

Small unit numbers on large maps is nice if the set up zones and objectives are placed intelligently. 4km x 4km map with objectives in the center and the set up zones are 2km+ in from the edges in small boxes at 45 degrees may be fun. Keep the timer short, forces small, and objectives clear. No one will wander off for a "flanking attack".

Doing this all but eliminates any calls of gamey bastageness, as the edges are too far away from either setups or objectives to be meaningful.

Knowing.. just like a RL commander... that you "could" go off in any direction is not the same as being able to do it with the forces and mission at hand.

The problem with that approach if I understand what you are getting at is that in Normandy the front was pretty much continuous and unit boundaries were pretty clearly defined. Straying across a boundary was sternly discouraged as it could lead to blue on blue incidents as well as traffic jams and units becoming intermingled.

If "edge hugging" is a problem, I wonder if there isn't another fix. Would it be possible in the current engine to have friendly forces on the map that are completely out of control of the player? If so, the way it would work is that they would serve as adjacent units or parts of units. So it an attacking unit strayed into their zone while trying to flank the defenders under the control of an opponent, it would come under fire from these defending units not under control.

I don't know if such a gambit is possible, but if so it would make matters more interesting.

Michael

The problem with that approach if I understand what you are getting at is that in Normandy the front was pretty much continuous and unit boundaries were pretty clearly defined. Straying across a boundary was sternly discouraged as it could lead to blue on blue incidents as well as traffic jams and units becoming intermingled.

If "edge hugging" is a problem, I wonder if there isn't another fix. Would it be possible in the current engine to have friendly forces on the map that are completely out of control of the player? If so, the way it would work is that they would serve as adjacent units or parts of units. So it an attacking unit strayed into their zone while trying to flank the defenders under the control of an opponent, it would come under fire from these defending units not under control.

I don't know if such a gambit is possible, but if so it would make matters more interesting.

Michael

This could be abstracted by simply defining the unit boundaries with dense linear minefields.

I like the 'bot' edge defenders idea. Probably won't see it for a while, but it does seem to be a more realistic way to abstract the battle boundaries. Random 'bot' off-map mortars land on units too close to edge, HMG fire comes in from off-edge or something.

I already have fixes in my designs to stop edging.

The "force field" of mines has been done, and yes, gamey to the max. :)

My preference for larger maps in smaller battles is based on the graphic immersion factor more than anti-edging or historical realism.

Two short Companies meet at a crossroads, with the roads and terrain stretching out for kilometers... but the objective and the enemy is right there near the center.

It's prettier than the postage stamp in the field of green, even if it takes longer to make.

Plus, if your artillery is way off you still get to see where it lands. ;)

There is great pleasure in designing an historical engagement to a "T".

And then, you find it utterly boring to play. There are ways around it like Plastic Viking's "play the cards you are given" strategy.

I don't think CMBN will ever be boring. But with most wargames now, I am designing the most fun and challenging (if ahistorical) situations imaginable.

In CMx1 you could use a plethora of locked-down bunkers to represent flanking units. They were (fairly) hard to kill, and your opponent couldn't move them. It's still an option for CMx2, just not as good because of the different way bunkers are handled.

From my experience with CM1 I'd say the best way to reduce edge effects is to make sure they're relatively open compared with a little way into the map.

In other words don't anchor an edge with a thick wood which is just asking to be 'edge' infiltrated.

And at all coasts do not put a road or lane along a mapedge!

If/when I get this I hope to design a few things for historical/semi-historical players.

Still have all the Advanced Squad Leader map boards and battle sets. Analog gaming at its finest.. when a cat walking across a table could change the course of a war.

I hadn't thought of it before you mentioned Squad Leader, but the scale of CMBN seems a lot more ASL like than I thought it would be. Which is fine, but it was just news to me (have stayed away from CMSF, as the period doesn't interest me.)

I like your thoughts about map making. I'll try putting that into practice.

If you guys are used to CMx1 map sizes and haven't tried anything in CMSF yet, then I think you will find that the map sizes in CMSF are much bigger in game relative to a similar sized map in CMx1. A 1km by 1km map in CMx1 doesn't seem all that big when you look at it in game, but in CMSF a 1km by 1km map seems absolutely massive. I've made some partial SL maps in CMSF and the difference between CMx1 and CMSF is striking. The maps also take a lot more work because there is more detail in the new maps with the 8m squares. A map that might take me a week to do in CMx1 would probably take me three or four weeks in CMSF.

its a shame when making realy lage scenarios that you get the failed memory msg, believes its been brought up before on a thread somewhere on here, basicly due to the game engine not being able to support too much, with scenery and vehicles n all...

main point im trying to make is that that is gona be worse in CBMN, as the terrain is far more detailed and built up than in CMSF..

we'll have to wait n see