Scenario Discussions

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made some partial SL maps in CMSF and the difference between CMx1 and CMSF is striking. The maps also take a lot more work because there is more detail in the new maps with the 8m squares. A map that might take me a week to do in CMx1 would probably take me three or four weeks in CMSF.

And that is why I might not be attempting to create many CMBN scenarios.

So, does anyone have a feeling for what is "too large" i.e. when does the engine start protesting? Not that I am planning to do something really large just wondering. :)

I had a few out of memory exceptions in Quick Battles in CMA, when the system gave me 6 companies of Russians plus assorted attachments, while the Mujahideen probably even had more men. Then, when I ordered 15 batteries of artillery fire onto the same mountain top halfway the game, it crashed when the volleys would be coming down.

I have a modest rig with 2GByte memory, a 1GByte graphical card, Windows Server 2003 OS.

And that is why I might not be attempting to create many CMBN scenarios.

I'm sure there would be plenty of people who would be willing to let you use their maps for your own scenario. You could even use QB maps for a scenario.

So, does anyone have a feeling for what is "too large" i.e. when does the engine start protesting? Not that I am planning to do something really large just wondering.

I think it less dependent on the engine and more so on the computer that is running the game. So when you design scenarios you should think who do I want to reach with this, because if it is a KM by 4KM map with 2 reinforced Battalions going at it you're going to cut a number of people off.

It looks like it will come down to a compromise between number of flavor objects and such vs map size and complexity for GPU usage metrics.

Btn vs Btn Meeting Engagement WEGO with minimal/average arty support should hopefully be do-able in CPU land.

My timeline of moving beyond maps into scenarios(much less campaigns) moves backward the more I read about the CM2 editor :P

It will be a fun and challenging journey though.

I've been looking at trying to do something away from the Normandy subject all together, as I suspect that will be the focus for most. I've been doing a lot of reading about the Anzio landings and quite fancy something around the 15th or 30th infantry involved in small scale exchanges against the Herman Goering Panzer Division. Been trying to get information on equipment used at the time but I'm sure most if not all of it will be in CMBN.

I can't wait, but will probably have to as my PC went kapputen last week!! I think that is called Sod's law!!

Cheers

The HG Pz. Div. was of course a Luftwaffe formation and may very well have been organized with significant differences from the Heer units provided by the game. You might want to try with a Heer formation. There were plenty there to choose from and the equipment differences might not be insuperable.

Michael

Naming units is fun to give people that take the time to look closer a smile. I don't know if we can name the enlisted.

Privates... Room, Office, Parts and of course Ryan

Corporal Punishment

Sgts Rock, Bilco and Shriver

Cpts America and Crunch(or Krunch if German)

Majors Disaster, Confusion and Catastrophe

Colonels Klink, Sanders and Mustard

Colonel Mustard did it in the Bocage with a grenade.

:)

Does anyone know if they are going to have City type buildings? example, a Cafe, Hotel type buildings? This was the only gripe I had with the mission editors was that there was no special buildings except for a Church. I know in shock force you could change the color, texture etc. But again there was no special buildings like Hospitals etc. I think having special buildings would only enhance the depth of the editor, and make for more realistic larger towns. IMHO

I like mostly CA battles with the majority of forces being infantry.

When Bulge comes out, I hope someone recreates every damn battle of it, particularly the battle of cheneux:

http://bcompany504pir.org/

(click on "History", then "Cheneux")

I really want it all though, Foy, Bastogne, Stavelot, Stoumont, La Gleize etc. etc. etc. As close as possible to the real thing (by which I mean EXACTLY the same OOB or as much as can be ascertained)

Is that right? No larger buildings except churches?

If so it really pushes CMBN into tiny Normandy villages only!

Don't worry yourself on that front, sir. There are plenty of huge buildings available in the editor to create very detailed city maps if that's what you want. There are just not that many of these types of maps around at the moment for BFC to display. For my part, after spending 3+ years playing CMSF and its MOUT heavy missions, I'm so glad to be able to take the action out of the cities and into the countryside that I haven't gotten around to finishing a city map yet. But I do have one in the works...

Is that right? No larger buildings except churches?

If so it really pushes CMBN into tiny Normandy villages only!

Don't worry yourself on that front, sir. There are plenty of huge buildings available in the editor to create very detailed city maps if that's what you want. There are just not that many of these types of maps around at the moment for BFC to display. For my part, after spending 3+ years playing CMSF and its MOUT heavy missions, I'm so glad to be able to take the action out of the cities and into the countryside that I haven't gotten around to finishing a city map yet. But I do have one in the works...

The cool thing I just got done reading the manual, and yes they do have "Specialized" buildings, they call them "Comercial" Not to mention you can have 8 story buildings, and if you link the churches together it creates a Cathederal. They have posters and road signs and all sorts of groovy "Flavor Objects"... damn Im drooling again. :)