How much time between CM Normandy modules?

I've been playing IL2 since 2001, and went several years before we got out of Russia to the Med, then another few years before we got to the Pacific (my favorite I'd been waiting for since the beginning), and several more years before it was opened up fully to the modding community.

So, I'll be more than happy with one module every 9 months to a year. But even so, once I get CM:BN on my 'puter, I will probably not get tired of it for quite some time. I know it will be quite a looooong time before we see the Eastern Front, and unless 3rd parties get involved, probably never see the Med or Pacific Theaters, but once we get the Brit/SS?FJ module and the Market-Garden one, I'll be good for about 10 years. :D I can wait on the Bulge game.

BFC's plan has been to streamline module production as much as humanly possible. Its a BIG help that the game engine is now as solid as a rock. A couple of those CMSF modules worked out be something like half module work and half game engine patch work, which slowed progress considerbly. Not to mention them working on CMSF modules, CM:Afghanistan title and CM:BN concurrently for much of the time. As far as I am aware, all they have on their plate is CM:BN. Then again CM:Afghanistan was as big a surprise to me as to you! :D

Someone heard of a Rhineland module?(Brits, Cdn and American)

There will be a second western front game that covers the fighting from ca. November 1944 to May 1945*. You can expect to see Battle of the Bulge as well as fighting in Germany, Volkssturm units, Jagdtigers and all that jazz.

*actually it would be interesting to see an 'August 1945' module that assumes that the Reich somehow survived through the summer of 1945. What would the war have been like if some of the weapons developed too late for the war had a chance to hit the battlefields? Like the British Centurion, German Maus, Panzerfaust 250 or US T28.

Steve mentioned in a thread a few days ago that he is thoroughly sick of WW II, so it's possible that after the BN family is complete they may work on SF temperate for a while. Or we could see members of of WW II families and members of modern families alternating. Or it could be something else. BFC has always played its cards pretty close to its chest when it comes to unveiling radical new ideas. We may see Space Lobsters of Doom yet! Maybe even an X-rated version.

:D

Michael

Thoroughly sick of WW II?. Why?

Imagine that you love chocolate ice cream. Imagine that you have always loved chocolate ice cream. You have loved it from the first taste in early childhood.

Now imagine that you have a job, and that your job consists of being an ice cream taster in a factory. Dream come true, right? All day long, every day, you are tasting chocolate ice cream. For years on end. Starting to get the picture?

Anything can get old after a while.

Michael

Imagine that you love chocolate ice cream. Imagine that you have always loved chocolate ice cream. You have loved it from the first taste in early childhood.

Now imagine that you have a job, and that your job consists of being an ice cream taster in a factory. Dream come true, right? All day long, every day, you are tasting chocolate ice cream. For years on end. Starting to get the picture?

Anything can get old after a while.

Michael

Well... i get the picture...

But, that's just because the focus was always tactical again and again...

If he is bored of chocolate ice cream... will be nice to jump into a Combat Mission Campaigns, because operational is very different to tactical. :)

Emrys left out (or, more likely, forgot in his dementia) an important part, so maybe it's better to quote verbatim:

Hi chaps, lomg time no see.

I've only just become aware of this game. I remember four years ago or so when Steve said about doing WW2 on the new engine..."We're sick of WW2."

And after working on WW2 again for 2 years straight, I'm again sick of it.

Kidding :D

I can't see BF ever abandoning WWII since the largest market interest is there. Beyond that Korea is playable in that it is a combined arms conflict. Vietnam is not as interesting as armor was not a big part of it. Of course modern warfare has its market, and interesting units to play with, but WWII I find to be the most balanced. I find the Syrians for the most part to be pushovers, and certainly not as balanced as WWII match ups. Where I think BF should put it's efforts is to make their CMx3 engine more along the lines of the Battlefield 3's frostbite engine in realism looks, more destructible terrain, with expanse to larger than 1v1 multiplayer. 3v3 multiplayer RTS play would be a whole new experience of not only game play, but would increase the community. The market will always be there for the WWII, and modern warfare genres, just packaged with improved graphics and new improved playing experiences.

Absolutly there are always going to be those that prefer other genre's, but show me an ice cream shop that does not have chocolate on the menu. Most popular flavor is a sure thing. You can offer coffee, strawberry ect.., but at the end of the day the chocolate has sold the most.

When Space Lobsters were first mentioned I did dream of one day having a "realistic" (in as much as that's possible) Warhammer 40k game using a CM like engine.

Be that as it may I am hanging for CM2 eastern front modules. Hope that isn't too many years away. Be nice if they could leverage some of the work or resources from the Theatre of War titles to more quickly achieve that... Don't want much do I?? :P

-F

Vietnam is not as interesting as armor was not a big part of it.

I understand that many of you love tanks and junk, but I want to see a much larger focus on infantry. I would love to see a Pacific module for CM or a Vietnam CM game. As far as CMSF I would like to see a module for light infantry (Airborne/Ranger). I'm sorry, but tanks and AFVs are just bullet-magnets...I prefer the QUEEN OF BATTLE.

Vietnam is not as interesting as armor was not a big part of it.

I have a couple things to say about that. You are correct that armor did not play an especially large role in Viet Nam, but it could have. In fact, tracked armor could have played a larger role there and might well have increased the effectiveness of the US presence.

Secondly, Southeast Asia is not the only place where large scale combined arms conflict occurred in post-WW II times. Various wars in the Middle east had lots of armor involved. The Arab-Israeli wars of 1956, 1967, and 1973 particularly were the scene of furious and dramatic actions. I understand that possibly due to the controversy that still surrounds the existence and actions of Israel BFC is reluctant to enter that arena. It could easily turn into a PR nightmare. And that's too bad. Those wars would be well-nigh prefect for depiction in the CM modern system.

With one serious exception. The decisive factors in all those wars were soft ones that would be more difficult—but not impossible—to model in the CM system: motivation, training, and leadership. Doctrine and command structure would also require some thought. But I think that by the time CMSF2 comes into being, those factors will of necessity be in hand.

Michael

BFC seemed pleased with at least the initial sales of CM:Afghanistan. I rather wonder if starting-up the CM:Normandy forum took the wind out of that nice little game's sails (and sales) prematurely. Like Vietnam, CMA is lop-sided on armor distribution. It showed that a title is doable without the need for balanced armored forces. I'd imagine that would go double for a game filled with tropical forest and rice paddies. If some enterprising 'boutique' game house wanted to follow Snowball's lead and lease the BFC game engine for a Vietnam title I'd imagine they'd think long and hard about it. Imagine the ramifications if a gaming firm in Ho Chi Minh City wanted to try a Vietnam war title! The mind reels! :eek: :P

Steve mentioned in a thread a few days ago that he is thoroughly sick of WW II, so it's possible that after the BN family is complete they may work on SF temperate for a while. Or we could see members of of WW II families and members of modern families alternating. Or it could be something else. BFC has always played its cards pretty close to its chest when it comes to unveiling radical new ideas. We may see Space Lobsters of Doom yet! Maybe even an X-rated version.

:D

Michael

I hope this isn't the way they go forward. The only reason I bought the modern warfare games was to see the new engine and to support the making of the WWII version. Not one more penny of mine will be spent on Modern warfare games. If they are tired of germans versus allies how about PTO?