How much time between CM Normandy modules?

I hope this isn't the way they go forward. The only reason I bought the modern warfare games was to see the new engine and to support the making of the WWII version. Not one more penny of mine will be spent on Modern warfare games.

That's fine, I'll make up for your pennies. ;) Some of us like the modern setting, so you'll just have to learn to share the engine with us. :)

I hope they alternate between the two, as I love both settings pretty much equally.

...it would be interesting to see an 'August 1945' module that assumes that the Reich somehow survived through the summer of 1945. What would the war have been like if some of the weapons developed too late for the war had a chance to hit the battlefields? Like the British Centurion, German Maus, Panzerfaust 250 or US T28.

How about an "August 1945" module where the US and USSR decide Europe isn't going to be big enough for the both of them?

Now that would be a fun "what if" module.

I don't think that BFC has any interest in doing Vietnam. Note, they also didn't have an interest in picking up Afghanistan, but because their Russian partner, Snowball, wanted to do it, it became a reality. So it's not out of the question that a 3rd party studio could sign a deal for a Vietnam game. If you think you have what it takes, send BFC an e-mail. ;)

How about an "August 1945" module where the US and USSR decide Europe isn't going to be big enough for the both of them?

Now that would be a fun "what if" module.

Nah, that would be far too big for a module. What part of the Red Army could be provided in a single module? Not enough to do justice.

I have a couple things to say about that. You are correct that armor did not play an especially large role in Viet Nam, but it could have. In fact, tracked armor could have played a larger role there and might well have increased the effectiveness of the US presence.

True enough, the Aussie Armoured Corps used the Centurions and M113's to get effect.

Secondly, Southeast Asia is not the only place where large scale combined arms conflict occurred in post-WW II times. Various wars in the Middle east had lots of armor involved. The Arab-Israeli wars of 1956, 1967, and 1973 particularly were the scene of furious and dramatic actions. I understand that possibly due to the controversy that still surrounds the existence and actions of Israel BFC is reluctant to enter that arena. It could easily turn into a PR nightmare. And that's too bad. Those wars would be well-nigh prefect for depiction in the CM modern system

Yes I have always been very disappointed that the Arab / Israeli Wars are taboo, it is a fascinating series of conflicts and would make for a great game.

That's not much help - "in/around Berlin" is not a unit type or a branch of the Red Army. What I meant is that you'd have to limit the unit selection to a few specific battalion types. There's also the problem that everything has to be created from scratch, the only things shared by the Soviets were some trucks, jeeps and a few Shermans. Everything from helmets to boot heels, leader names to rank insignia, voices to unit icons would have to be made specially for the module. It's much quicker to add things like Maus or Black Prince to the game as you already have all the basics ready.

... Maybe even an X-rated version.

:D

Michael

And this will include Agent X flying to Planet on X on an X-15. The main weapon will X-ray blaster. The main opponent will be the forces of Racer X.

All communication will be via XM radio. Forget the last, that's a commercial link. I'm trying to be Sirius here.

That's fine, I'll make up for your pennies. ;) Some of us like the modern setting, so you'll just have to learn to share the engine with us. :)

I hope they alternate between the two, as I love both settings pretty much equally.

Modern battles are to lethal... there is no need to maneuver for a side or rear shot because everything kills everything. I think more people are here for the WWII modules than modern. I see the old timers coming out of the woodwork now that CMBN is almost out.

I'll bet anything that it outsells CMSF by a wide margin and sales drop when they go back to modern. I still play CMAK far more than I play CMSF. That being said, its their company they can do what they want. Just give us 4 modules like they did CMSF and that'll keep us happy.

Modern battles are to lethal... there is no need to maneuver for a side or rear shot because everything kills everything. I think more people are here for the WWII modules than modern. I see the old timers coming out of the woodwork now that CMBN is almost out.

True they are lethal, but there is still need to maneuver. Tactics must still be used to win with the least amount of casualties. In modern rears, and flanks are more vulnerable just as in WWII. Everything is not one shot one kill every time. Many a time an AT-4, or RPG has bounced off tanks ect.. Hit it in the rear still causes the most damage. Modern just has so many cool weapons to play with IMO. Mk 19 grenade launchers, javelin missles and the like. All cool stuff.

I used to be strictly a WWII guy, but modern warfare has grown on me. I prefer both equally, but despite that I did not get CM Afghanistan. The conflict/units do not interest me to play. Between Vietnam, and Pacific theater WWII, I would prefer Pacific WWII as I think it has more interesting options in combo of units, and interesting terrains. Armor did support more ( Can you say flame tanks!). Amphib landings could be perhaps done on large maps with the assaulting player starting in Landing craft off shore. Lots of air/sea support (napalm, and 16 inch guns!). Jungle, coral caves, the sand of Iwo Jima would be some new terrain. Of course the Jap armor is no match for the Allied, but I would be more open to that than anything else beside WWII ETO, or modern.