Preview or how to kill 17 Shermans with one Panther

And here it is, all about how Barkmann took out 17 Shermans - all in an afternoons work (or maybe it was 14).

http://www.eurogamer.dk/articles/2011-04-12-combat-mission-battle-for-normandy-preview

For the silly majority who refuse to learn Danish, here's a link to a translation:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=da&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=da&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eurogamer.dk%2Farticles%2F2011-04-12-combat-mission-battle-for-normandy-preview

There are some pretty weird stuff going on in that translation, but you'll get the gist :-)

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So there's a Barkmann's Corner scenario although there's no Waffen-SS in the base game?

I don't know if it will be in the game, but I played a part in a Barkmann's corner scenario at the Liverpool Preview in February and it was awesome - my team only lost eight Shermans too. Search around and you'll find the description if you are interested.

SS will come but that doesnt mean we have to wait an other .. months to play the scenario ;)

I could have sworn they said that they would have the Waffen SS out upon release... I mean Hell.... they were pretty much all over the Caen area, and the 17th SS GVB, and elements of the 2nd SS engaged the US as well. But maybe that will come a month later or so, but I thought the British, and Canadians along with Waffen SS would be out upon its release...???

Nope. Brits, Canadians, Waffen SS and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting about are going to be in the first module to CM:BN.

While the U.S. forces certainly did see SS runes in Normandy, the SS were much more heavily engaged against the Commonwealth. Besides, they gotta save something for the 2nd course...

"the SS were much more heavily engaged against the Commonwealth"

Can we, please, drop this business of the Commonwealth. It is inaccurate, the Commonwealth was not involved on the ground Western Europe in 1944-45, just the Brits and the Canadians.

Please everyone - you gotta use 21st Army Group or Brits/Canadians (B/Cs?) - NO MORE inaccurate shorthand you bunch of backwards hayseeds.

Please everyone - you gotta use 21st Army Group or Brits/Canadians (B/Cs?) - NO MORE inaccurate shorthand you bunch of backwards hayseeds.

Thanks for your support, Mr. Barkhorn. 21AG would seem to be the best shorthand because it encapsulates the Poles and the Free French that were there at the outset of the campaign.

"the SS were much more heavily engaged against the Commonwealth"

Can we, please, drop this business of the Commonwealth. It is inaccurate, the Commonwealth was not involved on the ground Western Europe in 1944-45, just the Brits and the Canadians.

Technically speaking, Italy is in Western Europe -- and saw Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, Indians, and other commonwealth troops fighting on its peninsula as early as 1943 and continuing through the end of the war.

Just saying.

Steve

Technically speaking, Italy is in Western Europe

No, it ain't. Italy is in Southern Europe. That is why I did not use ETO, I did not want to get involved with the Italian campaign. On reflection, perhaps to have avoided any cross-contamination I should have said "Northwest Europe". I apologise for any confusion caused.

I could have sworn they said that they would have the Waffen SS out upon release... I mean Hell.... they were pretty much all over the Caen area, and the 17th SS GVB, and elements of the 2nd SS engaged the US as well. But maybe that will come a month later or so, but I thought the British, and Canadians along with Waffen SS would be out upon its release...???

I just write SS on a little sticky and stick it on the screen when the SS is missing from a game for a few months.

You are right irt Caen area. The German main effort was in that area and thats why there were many SS units there. Waffen SS were always planned to release with the Commonwealth module and so we have still something to look forward too :)