Preview or how to kill 17 Shermans with one Panther

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ashes this year helped a bit. ;-)

Anyway, we all know the English are best... as Messers Flanders and Swann put so succinctly:

"The English, the English, the English are best:

So up with the English, and down with the rest!

It's not that they're wicked or naturally bad ...

It's knowing they're FOREIGN that makes them so mad!"

A poor riposte to "C'mon Aussie C'mon", but one does have to try to ones pecker up in times of crisis.

The Ashes this year helped a bit. ;-)

Anyway, we all know the English are best... as Messers Flanders and Swann put so succinctly:

"The English, the English, the English are best:

So up with the English, and down with the rest!

It's not that they're wicked or naturally bad ...

It's knowing they're FOREIGN that makes them so mad!"

A poor riposte to "C'mon Aussie C'mon", but one does have to try to ones pecker up in times of crisis.

I remember that song from the time. Nobody would get away with those sort of lyrics these days. The other thing that struck me about that song is the reference to the Scots not having bishops to show them the way. I wonder how many then and now actually get what that reference is about. Flanders and Swann were a pretty highbrow, as well as clever and witty, pair.

Oh incidentaly have you seen the videos of their modern imitators on You Tube. Can't remember their names, my son showed them to me, but one of the songs, which was funny, was entitled, "Have you ever had to take a sh!t on a train". Something has been lost over the years.

I remember that song from the time. Nobody would get away with those sort of lyrics these days. The other thing that struck me about that song is the reference to the Scots not having bishops to show them the way. I wonder how many then and now actually get what that reference is about. Flanders and Swann were a pretty highbrow, as well as clever and witty, pair.

Oh incidentaly have you seen the videos of their modern imitators on You Tube. Can't remember their names, my son showed them to me, but one of the songs, which was funny, was entitled, "Have you ever had to take a sh!t on a train". Something has been lost over the years.

- snifffff - time was the English did not consider us foreign http://www.battlefront.com/community/images/smilies/frown.gif

- snifffff - time was the English did not consider us foreign

But that was a very long time ago, Mr. Oz. A time when most of the non-indigenous population of your land consisted of English "exports" and their guards. Since those times I think we have always regarded you as family and from the branch that we are always happy to see turn-up at big family events - weddings, funerals, wars and so forth.

But that was a very long time ago, Mr. Oz. A time when most of the non-indigenous population of your land consisted of English "exports" and their guards. Since those times I think we have always regarded you as family and from the branch that we are always happy to see turn-up at big family events - weddings, funerals, wars and so forth.

Actually 1986 when the Australia Act was passed.

Up until that time the British Parliament still had the ability to pass laws on Australians. The Act in effect removed the ability to appeal to the Privy Council. It is still theoretically possible to do so from the State Supreme Courts but highly unlikely.

I might also point out that our Governor General is still appointed by the British Monarch and it is in our constitution for that to be the case. Although again unlikely it is still possible for the Queen to reject or sack our GG.

So foreign is maybe not the best word to use for us. We actually prefer, in your best Westminster accent, "Damned Awstralians"