CM:BN vs PC:O like Blur vs Oasis?

CMx2 engine is very broken.

It looks good, yes, but the 1to1 mechanic is years behind new Close Combat releases.

Hi, (this is related to CMx2 topic).

CMx2 is in design but competitors arent sleep all time.

In future BFC will must fight on market with titles like this:

"Close Combat: Red Phoenix". Multimillion dollar budget and great past. 2006

"Officers" crazy looking wargame, developing by russian people (russian are crazy ). Great looking ingame movies available on gamershell.

Wartime Command, everyone knows what it's.

so BFC, are you afraid of future? :)

So Inff, do you ever get anything right?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultimately, Panzer Command is just a different type of game to what Combat Mission (CMx1 or CMx2) is, so comparing them is pointless. It is like comparing them to Close Combat. I have a ton of respect for the PC:O team for widening the scope of the game so much, but to me it's still Panzer Command so I'm not all that interested.

Besides, there's no Finns in PC:O. What's the point?!?

Neither is there in CMBN.... (and from the conversations, it will be a snowball in hell type day when we get a module on the east front from BFC that includes the beloved axis minors as it just does not make "economic sense"... let's hope that is not the end case result)

Cheers!

Leto

It looks good, yes, but the 1to1 mechanic is years behind new Close Combat releases.

What in the world are you talking about? Is there going to be a new Close Combat?

I'm looking very much forward to both the new Panzer Command and the new CM game. I will likely buy and enjoy both of them!

Can I have some of whatever it is you are snorting? It sure sounds like it is killer stuff, man I could have used some in my days of catching Dead shows. Standard hallucinogens wouldn't have me believing that line.

oh wait, that was a joke right? Sorry just not used to humor that dry.

Leto;1243419']Neither is there in CMBN.... (and from the conversations, it will be a snowball in hell type day when we get a module on the east front from BFC that includes the beloved axis minors as it just does not make "economic sense"... let's hope that is not the end case result)

Cheers!

Leto

Shows how little you know! If impotent minors such as the Brits and the Waffen SS get included in modules for CMBN, you can bet that the single most important armed force to grace the East Front will not be ignored!

And I'm not talking about Bulgaria, btw.

Poor BFC just keeps stumbling along making wargames. Honestly, I have no idea why BFC continues to compete against such cracker jack games like.... like.... what the hell were those games names again? Yeah, legendary games to be sure.

I also have no idea why people keep piling it on (sarcasm sorted through) when BFC is so absolutely rock star great. Rally to the standard to fight as brothers on St Crispins day I suppose.

But more to the point, although the CMx1 games were legendary, I don't see why they are referred to at times in the same manner as how dark wizards are referred to: dare not speak aloud their name! CMx1 was great, still is great and I still play it prolifically. I also intend to play CMBN... hopefully it is as near as good. I just don't see why the lines are drawn and the polearms displayed menacingly all the time when the products BFC put out speak for themselves?

There has got to be better things to do with one's time.

Cheers!

Leto

Shows how little you know! If impotent minors such as the Brits and the Waffen SS get included in modules for CMBN, you can bet that the single most important armed force to grace the East Front will not be ignored!

And I'm not talking about Bulgaria, btw.

Romanians then?

; )

Cheers!

Leto

(yes, finns, I know and love them too!!!)

Actually, Finns are in the works - they'll be in the Bulge title! The first attempt at alternative history, WHAT IF a Finnish battalion held Bastogne? The main hang right now is trying to model the lethality radius of pine cone grenades.

Leto;1243428']The point is moot, as we all know that Bastogne was out of supply and that when the Vodka ran dry, the Finns would have immediately sobered up and surrendered.

Cheers!

Leto

Nope. Special aerial insertion of moonshine detachments. Problem solved.

Poor BFC just keeps stumbling along making wargames. Honestly, I have no idea why BFC continues to compete against such cracker jack games like.... like.... what the hell were those games names again? Yeah, legendary games to be sure.

:) Right now... BFC is stumbling so far out in front of the others, that they don't have to look back... Those other games are just Legends in their own mind!!!

I have PC:K.... IMHO... "IT SUCKS"

I have been using the CMx2 engine for a couple years... and it just keeps getting better...

And I don't know who mad the comment about CMBB not running on newer hardware, but CMBB runs on Win7 64bit without any problems for me... (though I am thinking of gettin some kind of killer rig for CM:BN and beyond)

Some tidbits you guys might find interesting...

The fact that PC:O is coming out around the same time as CM:BN is a coincidence as far as we know. At least from our perspective. It has to be because until a few weeks ago we didn't even know the game existed. Seriously. I thought PC was a dead product. For their sake I'm glad it isn't, but we long since stopped considering any other wargame out there "competition" that we needed to be concerned about. Maybe someday a significant competitor will arise out of seemingly thin air, but for 10+ years nothing has come about and we don't think it's a good use of our time being distracted by things which don't exist.

This isn't a position of arrogance, it's just a simple statement of fact. For people who want a detailed, realistic, 3D tactical game experience we're second to none. That doesn't mean we're Gods or everything we do is the best it can be, it's just a simple acknowledgment that in order to judge something there has to be something to judge against. We don't see much that can even be considered relevant to what we do.

I think Sergei's post a few pages ago (Here) summarizes why it's stupid for us to be distracted by things which never materialize as significant challenges to what we are doing.

In the end, the wargaming market could use a couple more Battlefronts. So if PC:O does well, great for them. Doesn't impact us a bit, doesn't bother us a bit.

Steve

:) Right now... BFC is stumbling so far out in front of the others, that they don't have to look back... Those other games are just Legends in their own mind!!!

I have PC:K.... IMHO... "IT SUCKS"

I have been using the CMx2 engine for a couple years... and it just keeps getting better...

And I don't know who mad the comment about CMBB not running on newer hardware, but CMBB runs on Win7 64bit without any problems for me... (though I am thinking of gettin some kind of killer rig for CM:BN and beyond)

CMBB runs fiine on my new rig avec (notwithstanding) Vista (bleaccckk).

Never tried PCO before as I also am a CM guy (limited amount of time, ergo, not too curious about other titles). I will probably buy PC and get the Ostfront update just to support the efforts of fellow wargamers.

Cheers!

Leto

Some tidbits you guys might find interesting...

The fact that PC:O is coming out around the same time as CM:BN is a coincidence as far as we know. At least from our perspective. It has to be because until a few weeks ago we didn't even know the game existed. Seriously. I thought PC was a dead product. For their sake I'm glad it isn't, but we long since stopped considering any other wargame out there "competition" that we needed to be concerned about. Maybe someday a significant competitor will arise out of seemingly thin air, but for 10+ years nothing has come about and we don't think it's a good use of our time being distracted by things which don't exist.

This isn't a position of arrogance, it's just a simple statement of fact. For people who want a detailed, realistic, 3D tactical game experience we're second to none. That doesn't mean we're Gods or everything we do is the best it can be, it's just a simple acknowledgment that in order to judge something there has to be something to judge against. We don't see much that can even be considered relevant to what we do.

I think Sergei's post a few pages ago (Here) summarizes why it's stupid for us to be distracted by things which never materialize as significant challenges to what we are doing.

In the end, the wargaming market could use a couple more Battlefronts. So if PC:O does well, great for them. Doesn't impact us a bit, doesn't bother us a bit.

Steve

I fully agree. It's good for the moral to chant we're #1, but when considering that they are the only guys out there in a niche genre, a bit superfluous. I think that in itself should be heralded over anything else: BFC seeks to make it in a space that would otherwise not be populated, to the benefit of all of us.

Competition would only mean that BFC would be over a barrel and beholden to the ubiquitous and ceaseless grindings of our many whims and desires when it comes to let's say, throwing in the Finns and other Axis minors into an East Front module.... heh heh heh...

: )

Cheers!

Leto

Just checked out the quite lacklustre YouTube clip fpr PC:O and found myself wondering, given the references to Brit Pop, if I had slipped back a decade! I guess their strategy is to fill a supposed gap in the market, created by BF's decision to transition to CM2 and not support or develop the CM1 games. The last part of the clip has a list of features of PC:O and it's no coincidence that they are mostly issues brought up by CM1 players in this forum, Borg Spotting, levels of Command, ability to mod the data etc. It's not competition, per se, but a classic coat tails operation, I'll probably buy it, as it will be years before BF produce Eastern Front modules for my favourite period 41-43.

My favourite joke about Finns

"A Swede and a Finn had agreed to drink together one night. They showed up at the Swede's place after work, each carrying a bottle of Koskenkorva, and the Swede proceeded to put glasses on the table and pour them full to the brim. As they raised their glasses, the Swede said "Skål!" The Finn put his glass down, frowning, and said "Are we going to drink or are we going to talk?"

Leto;1243453']I fully agree. It's good for the moral to chant we're #1' date=' but when considering that they are the only guys out there in a niche genre, a bit superfluous.[/quote']

Exactly. Much better to spend our times worrying about what we make instead of what others might make sometime, maybe, possibly at some point.

It is true that looking at what others have done might inspire improvements of our own. You know, borrowing innovations. And maybe for that reason looking at PC:O might be interesting. However, last time we looked at it all we saw was CMx1 with a "command" layer on top that we have no interest in.

We like to think we have helped keep wargaming alive. Whether we have or not is difficult to say because one would have to go back in time and cut off Combat Mission before we started it in order to really find out. So I think it's possible, but more likely we were a significant reason for wargaming to remain vibrant and relevant in its modest way.

DEFINITELY! Nothing like a nice Tripel served at 50 deg F. Mmmmmmm..

Steve

"A Swede and a Finn had agreed to drink together one night. They showed up at the Swede's place after work, each carrying a bottle of Koskenkorva, and the Swede proceeded to put glasses on the table and pour them full to the brim. As they raised their glasses, the Swede said "Skål!" The Finn put his glass down, frowning, and said "Are we going to drink or are we going to talk?"

Okay, if we're going this way...

A sled pulled by a horse is making its way through a forest at night, with a Finn, a Norwegian, a Swede and a Russian sitting under a warm blanket.

Suddenly, a terrifying howl is heard and a pack of wolves starts chasing the horse. The Finn immediately grabs the Swede and throws him to the wolves.

The sled continues its voyage for an hour, when another howl is heard and another pack of wolves appears alongside the sled, trying to get the horse. The Finn grabs the Norwegian and throws him to the wolves.

Another hour passes in peace when an howl echoes through the forest. Sure enough, more wolves are after them! The Finn reaches for something underneath the blanket, pulls out a submachinegun and shoots all the wolves.

The Russian is relieved, but asks: "If you had that SMG all this time, why didn't you shoot the wolves earlier?"

The Finn reaches underneath the blanket again, pulling out a bottle of vodka, and responds: "There is only enough for two."