Hit texts are back!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was confused reading this thread, intially thought it was a joke refering to the large font text by Bil, then everyone starting suggesting it was true , then the "rain on parade" post, then steve post confirmed it .... a quick view of the image again and spotted the tiny text at the rear of the M10. GREAT NEWS , thats a cracker to have back. Cheers.

What a lot of excitement for some text.

Never quite understood this community's love affair with hit text. IMO it is a clunky and old fashioned immersion breaker and I cannot wait for it to be replaced by hit decals.

what? The game doesn't have hit decals? Considering all the attnetion to detail this game has, I just assumed that it had hit decals...

What a lot of excitement for some text.

Never quite understood this community's love affair with hit text. IMO it is a clunky and old fashioned immersion breaker and I cannot wait for it to be replaced by hit decals.

I think they're fun. Hit decals are cool when the battle is over, but they convey less information and are less eye-catching (or immersion breaking if you will :)).

One thing that hit decals don't do is give you meaningful information unless you're right up close to the tank AND looking at the right portion of it. Hit text, on the other hand, gives you information even when you've got the camera floating way up in the air and are hundreds or even thousands of game meters away from what's being shot at. Therefore, whenever we do get hit decals in (and they will get in eventually) the purpose of hit text will not go away.

Steve

But as LLF mentioned, the case for this information being available to the player is quite weak in itself.

At least the decals are visually pleasing, not so in your face yet still provides the information to those that really want to know where it landed, and does so in greater detail.

Kudos for listening to the community but you shouldn't have. ;)

I mean, if ugly isn't a bar to inclusion in CMBN I want my shockwaves!

But as LLF mentioned, the case for this information being available to the player is quite weak in itself.

At least the decals are visually pleasing, not so in your face yet still provides the information to those that really want to know where it landed, and does so in greater detail.

As long as I can toggle them off :P.

Hey stupid question but are the giant white words with "Tank 1" and "M10 round deflected by tree" game messages or something put in there after? Obviously the "penetration" message is in-game was just wondering about the others. And thanks again for surprising us with this BFC!

Well for a lot of us it makes the game wayyy more exciting. Maybe BFC can eventually make it a toggleable feature (is that even a word?) for hardcore peeps like yourself :cool:.

Hey stupid question but are the giant white words with "Tank 1" and "M10 round deflected by tree" game messages or something put in there after? Obviously the "penetration" message is in-game was just wondering about the others. And thanks again for surprising us with this BFC!

The large script is Bil's handiwork, like the red ink diagrams showing his intended moves. Just something to help us understand what is going on.

Michael

One thing that hit decals don't do is give you meaningful information unless you're right up close to the tank AND looking at the right portion of it. Hit text, on the other hand, gives you information even when you've got the camera floating way up in the air and are hundreds or even thousands of game meters away from what's being shot at. Therefore, whenever we do get hit decals in (and they will get in eventually) the purpose of hit text will not go away.

Steve

What are 'hit decals?'

True, but the case for hit decals is also pretty weak. At least until you have some dismounted soldiers purposefully standing around looking at the knocked out vehicle. So I don't see either one as being necessarily very realistic most of the time.

Toggle the feature off and it's not in your face at all ;)

Steve

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have no great hatred to the text, certainly not if I can turn it off. It is just not for me and as a result think that if you were looking at this general area then a more worthy thing could have been attempted.

I get your point of decals being gamey too. But it is that only for those that bother to move the camera all the way to the target to gloat at the mark they made.

That way those that put more in get more out. I'm big on that principle in game design. None of that zooming all the way out yet still wanting to get every detail on every hit. Phooey! Those commanders that "stay in their HQ" should be less informed. Get down there and get those boots dirty, Tomm! ;)

Hit decals would be a really nice touch, but when talking about the visual side of things I think my biggest wish is a new running animation. I find all the other animations really great, but the running one looks unnatural to me. Bit of a shame since it's the most common animation for my pixeltruppen to be doing. The second one being the death animation, which I was pleased to read have been made more diverse. :D

Never mind hit decals, bring on the burnt out wrecks with ripped off turrets!

The text off toggle feature takes care of my needs. It wouldn't be possible to toggle off the "rout" (!) markers and red crosses as well, would it? In CMSF it always bugs me that players have such immediate info on the status of enemy infantry inside buildings. For me, it is good enough to see your enemy's prostrate corpse and hear Mord's "Lamentations of Their Women" Mod.