Hit texts are back!

Hit text is a nice feature as will be decals when they are added, but I won't rely on either one. I never assume an AFV is dead until I see smoke and or flames.

Seeing the crew eject was usually a good indicator in CMx1 but now that crews can re-man their ride, If I don't see smoke or flames, I'm putting another round in that puppy ...

This does bring up an interesting question, When does the Tac AI assume that a target is dead?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember having to make sure abandoned vehicles were knocked out during cmx1 operations so they could not be used in the next phase. I guess the same is true for a cmx2 battle being that a crew can re enter an abandoned vehicle.

Whats the logic behind limiting only the crew that exits a vehicle to enter it again ? i.e why cant another trained crew from the same vehicle type enter ? (they dont have the ignition key :D ?)

I have never been inside a tank, much less a WW2 tank, much less commanded a WW2 tank during a battle, but it doesn't seem like too much of a reach to me to assume that if I were commanding a WW2 tank in a battle I would know of the hits it suffered including the direct results of those hits (unless I died). And, since being the commander of all the tanks on my side is part of the role I play when I play, then it doesn't seem gamey to me to have hit detail texts in game for those tanks.

For some reason trying to quote Tagge's post gets me in a log in loop...

Anyway, good one, gave me chuckles.

I like to see the text too, very useful when zoomed out. I also agree with perhaps a FoW option so you don't see them for enemy vehicles (unless I missed something in the thread).

:)

I also agree with perhaps a FoW option so you don't see them for enemy vehicles (unless I missed something in the thread).

I've got mixed feelings about the hit boxes. Never thought they were "gamey" in the CM-series. In Shock Force I thought it was cool not to know what damage I've done so better to shoot until a tank exploded. Now when they seem to back in Normandy I don't know what to think. A FoW solution would be the way to go, my vote for that too.

I've got mixed feelings about the hit boxes. Never thought they were "gamey" in the CM-series. In Shock Force I thought it was cool not to know what damage I've done so better to shoot until a tank exploded. Now when they seem to back in Normandy I don't know what to think. A FoW solution would be the way to go, my vote for that too.

In CMSF you could hear whether a round penetrated or not. Besides the "Knocked out" label will only appear when your guys are sure that the target is actually KO.

In CMSF you could hear whether a round penetrated or not. Besides the "Knocked out" label will only appear when your guys are sure that the target is actually KO.

Mmmmmkay... But how do you hear, inside a tank with engines running, that your round penetrates (usually) a Syrian tank that's 1,5 kilometres away? And doesn't AP-ammo go throug a tank quite "neatly" without to much smoke & bang?

Mmmmmkay... But how do you hear, inside a tank with engines running, that your round penetrates (usually) a Syrian tank that's 1,5 kilometres away? And doesn't AP-ammo go throug a tank quite "neatly" without to much smoke & bang?

I don't know, I can imagine you in certain cases see the round bounce off. I find it hard to imagine that an AP goes through "cleanly", all that metal that gets perforated has to go *somewhere*.

I guess all I'm saying is, that if it didn't bother you in CMSF, then it won't bother you in CMBN. Besides you can turn if off. There are so many things that are "unrealistic" or not possible in CM, like roaming the map at your free will, knowing the location of every door in every house, etc...

I guess all I'm saying is, that if it didn't bother you in CMSF, then it won't bother you in CMBN.

Right, didn't bother me in CM or CM Shock Force and propably not in CM Normandy either. I guess that in 2011 with all the communication widgets 'n' stuff a tank leader get's real-time information about hits on opposing forces fast and they are accurate. In WW2 it was more depending on visual feedback.

Right, didn't bother me in CM or CM Shock Force and propably not in CM Normandy either. I guess that in 2011 with all the communication widgets 'n' stuff a tank leader get's real-time information about hits on opposing forces fast and they are accurate. In WW2 it was more depending on visual feedback.

It was probably possible to see whether a round bounced or not, if you hear war accounts of tanks crews complaining their tank rounds bounced enemy tanks.

It was probably possible to see whether a round bounced or not, if you hear war accounts of tanks crews complaining their tank rounds bounced enemy tanks.

Yeah, your right. I think you would as a member of a tankcrew easily spot a round bouncing of a slanted armorplate. It's gotta make a hell of a "boing" sound when your 75 mm round hits a panzerarmor and gets redirected up in the skies.

Not only that, but most rounds had tracers in their base so that the TC could spot and correct misses. Then add to that that a hit on armor usually threw sparks, and you had a pretty good idea whether you had hit or not. Penetrations would have been harder to know, which is why the practice was to keep hitting until they burned.

Michael

Weakling... I thought Finns didn't need no namby pamby sleep :D

You're wrong. Finnish WW2-pilots didn't sleep for 105 days in a row. The rest of us sleep from november to february.

And, me old chap, you just made it to my "dudes I gotta beat the crap out off in a nice PBEM game when Normandy is released"-list... :D

Not only that, but most rounds had tracers in their base so that the TC could spot and correct misses. Then add to that that a hit on armor usually threw sparks, and you had a pretty good idea whether you had hit or not. Penetrations would have been harder to know, which is why the practice was to keep hitting until they burned.

Michael

This is also one of the things that changed from CMBO to CMBB.

In CMBO if a tank was KOed both players know immediately and the TAC AI would move on to a new target.

In CMBB if a tank was KOed the opponent would not see necessarily see this immediately and therefore the TAC AI would keep pumping rounds into the same tank.

Was it the Fireflies 17 pdr that created a significant amount of smoke compared to other main guns? I wonder if this gets factored in to spotting and adjustments for subsequent shots?